Rules-Editor

bskalli

Rules-Editor

Post by bskalli »

After one week with Tm1 9.1 SP3, I straight noticed that the Rules editor dimension elements with "Umlaut "(ex. März) did not accept.
Who knows more?

Brahim Skalli
Martin Erlmoser
Community Contributor
OLAP Product: TM1, Cognos Express,..
Version: 9.1.4 FP1
Excel Version: 2010

Re: Rules-Editor

Post by Martin Erlmoser »

the new rules editor is senseless... :(

tm1p.ini
AdvancedRulesEditor = F

http://forums.olapforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=209
Tilo

Post by Tilo »

Hello*,

trying to get known how to work with rules in system cubes in general (as simple as possible for the moment) I constantly get the result, that the addressed cells in sytem cubes are unimpressed.

I am working with an }Elementattributes_dimensionname-Cube and tried connecting cells within the cube and cells from inside and outside.
I can - so far - receive numeric values from the system cube (}Elementattributes_dimensionname-Cube) to show up in a normal cube.
Are there restrictions/guidelines I should be aware of?

Background founded by customers needs:
Dynamic change of dimensional structures is requested without an extra update process/real time.
For the moment TI is no solution but I am openminded to be convinced if TI can be handled in a way that supports reaction without pushing a process (at least to have that effect to the customer).

Thanks in advance for help.
Greetings from Hamburg
Tilo
Alan Kirk
Site Admin
OLAP Product: TM1
Version: PA2.0.9.18 Classic NO PAW!
Excel Version: 2013 and Office 365

Post by Alan Kirk »

Tilo wrote: trying to get known how to work with rules in system cubes in general (as simple as possible for the moment) I constantly get the result, that the addressed cells in sytem cubes are unimpressed.

I am working with an }Elementattributes_dimensionname-Cube and tried connecting cells within the cube and cells from inside and outside.
I can - so far - receive numeric values from the system cube (}Elementattributes_dimensionname-Cube) to show up in a normal cube.
Are there restrictions/guidelines I should be aware of?
Do you mean that you can get numeric values from the system cubes, but not strings from those cubes?

This may be stating the obvious, but just in case... you ARE using the syntax

[TargetArea] = S:

rather than

[TargetArea] = N:

in the rules of the cube that you want to read the values into, and have ensured that the target cube is capable of storing strings?
Tilo wrote: Background founded by customers needs:
Dynamic change of dimensional structures is requested without an extra update process/real time.
I'm not quite sure what dimension structures have to do with rules; can you elaborate?
"To them, equipment failure is terrifying. To me, it’s 'Tuesday.' "
-----------
Before posting, please check the documentation, the FAQ, the Search function and FOR THE LOVE OF GLUB the Request Guidelines.
Steve Rowe
Site Admin
Version: TM1 v6,v7,v8,v9,v10,v11+PAW
Excel Version: Nearly all of them

Post by Steve Rowe »

I'm not sure how familiar you are with TM1 but attribute cubes are very different from normal cubes. All values in an attribute cube can be considered strings for the purpose of writing rules, this includes "numeric" attributes. This is how TM1 allows you to store "numeric" values at the consolidated level.

The rule notation for string rules is a little different
This means that all rules need to be of the form []=S: and all internal references that you might normally write as ['x'] need to be written using the long hand notation DB(ThisCube, !Element, 'x').
Writing string rules for numeric attributes is or was very awkward to the extent that if I know I am going to need to rule an attribute I set it up as a string. I'm not sure what the issues were so they might be resolved by now.

HTH
Steve
Technical Director
www.infocat.co.uk
David Usherwood
Site Admin

Post by David Usherwood »

Regarding Brahim's original post and Martin's response, I agree - the 'new' rules editor is pretty but thoroughly flawed. We did hear that they were looking around for another one. You can go back to the old one by setting
AdvancedRulesEditor = F
in your TM1P.INI file (in Documents and Settings\<you>\Application Data\Applix\tm1\tm1p.ini ). And in 9.4, the default is now F.

For the Jurassic types, there are always rules worksheets of course... (retreats to bunker).
Tilo

Post by Tilo »

I am a beginner and start with version 9.4.
At the moment I try to set up a tool box for me containing solutions for standard problems in planning/controlling.
Dimensional structure shall mean the consolidation hierarchy within a dimension. This could be saved a "parent element"-attribute.
Thanks for your help. I will look into the suggestions and come back afterwards.
Tilo

Post by Tilo »

It works fine now - I can address Rules with the Rules Editor to cells in an }ElementAttributes-control cube under the described conditions.
Thanks a lot.
Is there a document (link) or book to be recommended regarding the subject and in general for TM1?
The internal help is useful but does not cover everything.
Alan Kirk
Site Admin

Post by Alan Kirk »

David Usherwood wrote: For the Jurassic types, there are always rules worksheets of course... (retreats to bunker).
I'm not saying a word.

However visualising the expression on my face is left as an exercise for the reader.

8-)
-----------
Before posting, please check the documentation, the FAQ, the Search function and FOR THE LOVE OF GLUB the Request Guidelines.
Alan Kirk
Site Admin

Post by Alan Kirk »

Tilo wrote:It works fine now - I can address Rules with the Rules Editor to cells in an }ElementAttributes-control cube under the described conditions.
Thanks a lot.
Is there a document (link) or book to be recommended regarding the subject and in general for TM1?
The internal help is useful but does not cover everything.
A lot of the content has been integrated into the help files in 9.4, but in the documentations download area of Cognos you should still be able to find a .pdf called the TM1 Rules Guide. It was written by David Friedlander who's a bit of a guru on rules.

If you're new to them, it's certainly worth working through.
-----------
Tilo

Post by Tilo »

Alan Kirk wrote: A lot of the content has been integrated into the help files in 9.4, but in the documentations download area of Cognos you should still be able to find a .pdf called the TM1 Rules Guide. It was written by David Friedlander who's a bit of a guru on rules.
Good hint. Actually I referred to the Rules guide, too - as far as I see it is integrated in the help in 9.4. I ran through the latest 9.4-Rules Guide version this morning (I had a training with the forerunner version) and did not find something about control cubes anomalies. With Amazon I found no book about TM1 at all. Probably I haven't searched enough on the cognos support website and should concentrate on that in future.
Alan Kirk
Site Admin

Post by Alan Kirk »

Tilo wrote:
Alan Kirk wrote: A lot of the content has been integrated into the help files in 9.4, but in the documentations download area of Cognos you should still be able to find a .pdf called the TM1 Rules Guide. It was written by David Friedlander who's a bit of a guru on rules.
Good hint. Actually I referred to the Rules guide, too - as far as I see it is integrated in the help in 9.4. I ran through the latest 9.4-Rules Guide version this morning (I had a training with the forerunner version) and did not find something about control cubes anomalies. With Amazon I found no book about TM1 at all. Probably I haven't searched enough on the cognos support website and should concentrate on that in future.
As far as I know there aren't any published books on TM1. You can search the Cognos web site for documentation, but in reality you probably already have all there is. The issues with control cubes and rules are probably too esoteric and infrequently encountered for them to find a place in the official documentation; for that kind of thing it's better to turn to this forum since collectively we've probably seen it all at some time or another.

Whether we remember it on the other hand...
-----------
David Usherwood
Site Admin

Post by David Usherwood »

Alan Kirk wrote:
David Usherwood wrote: For the Jurassic types, there are always rules worksheets of course... (retreats to bunker).
I'm not saying a word.

However visualising the expression on my face is left as an exercise for the reader.

8-)
I'm visualising it now....

There's an exhibition on in London at the moment of the works of Osbert Lancaster ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Osbert_Lancaster ). He had a good line in choleric, Colonel Blimp types getting upset about some aspect of the modern world. Somehow I get a connection....

Bit mean really - I think I've probably got a decade at least on Alan.
Tilo

Post by Tilo »

Can you tell me what is wrong with my search definition?
How shall I "specify" a search, if my chosen words match exactly the area I want to have results from?
(I am using also "+" in front of words and change the search settings in the advanced search)

I always get answers like this:
The following words in your search query were ignored because they are too common words: consolidation performance rules.
You must specify at least one word to search for. Each word must consist of at least 3 characters and must not contain more than 14 characters excluding wildcards.

In the end I am scrolling the forum to search at the moment...
Steve Rowe
Site Admin
Version: TM1 v6,v7,v8,v9,v10,v11+PAW
Excel Version: Nearly all of them

Post by Steve Rowe »

Tilo,
I can't get it to work either I have raised it with the forum administrators who will have a look at what is happening.
Thanks for raising the issue.
Technical Director
www.infocat.co.uk
Tilo

Post by Tilo »

also experienced:
If the search sometimes delivers results did not match my criteria.