Eliminating Security Cubes

Eric
MVP
OLAP Product: TM1
Version: 9.4
Excel Version: 2003

Eliminating Security Cubes

Post by Eric »

My predecessor setup a cube security for dimensions. I want to eliminate it. It is not as simple as deleting the security cube, is it?
Regards,
Eric
Blog: http://tm1-tipz.blogspot.com
Articles: http://www.google.com/reader/shared/use ... /label/TM1

Production: 32 bit 9.0 SP2, Windows 2000 Advanced Server. Web: 32 bit 9.0 SP2, Windows 2000 Server. Excel 2003
Alan Kirk
Site Admin
Version: PA2.0.9.18 Classic NO PAW!
Excel Version: 2013 and Office 365

Re: Eliminating Security Cubes

Post by Alan Kirk »

Eric wrote:My predecessor setup a cube security for dimensions. I want to eliminate it. It is not as simple as deleting the security cube, is it?
I've never had the "pleasure" of needing to do this, but if I did I think I'd prefer to take the server down and move the relevant .cub file out of the data directory. I just get... shall we say, a bad feeling about having a server session which may still think in some corners of its mind that there's security on a dimension. At least if it can't find a .cub file to load, it should start afresh with the dimension completely unsecured.
"To them, equipment failure is terrifying. To me, it’s 'Tuesday.' "
-----------
Before posting, please check the documentation, the FAQ, the Search function and FOR THE LOVE OF GLUB the Request Guidelines.
George Regateiro
MVP
Version: 10.1.1
Excel Version: 2007 SP3

Post by George Regateiro »

The client will not allow you to delete security cubes (from my experience). You have two options that I have seen work in the past.

1) Delete the rule file (if there is one) and change everything back to "write" through the front end (not directly in the cube). This has been hit or miss for me in the past.

2) Take Alan's suggestion and move it through the back end while the server is down. This is probably the easiest and cleanest way to do it.
David Usherwood
Site Admin

Post by David Usherwood »

I believe you can't delete _any_ object starting with } . Martin may remember creating such an object at a client, just to hold some structural stuff, and finding he couldn't get rid of it. I agree with Alan - rename/remove the object on the disc and restart.
ScottW
Regular Participant
OLAP Product: TM1 CX
Version: 9.5 9.4.1 9.1.4 9.0 8.4
Excel Version: 2003 2007

Post by ScottW »

If you want to eliminate a }CellSecurity_ or }ElementSecurity cube the best (and only) way to do it is to take the server down, delete the .cub file and restart.
Cheers,
Scott W
Cubewise
www.cubewise.com
Martin Ryan
Site Admin
Version: 10.1
Excel Version: 2010

Post by Martin Ryan »

David Usherwood wrote:I believe you can't delete _any_ object starting with } . Martin may remember creating such an object at a client, just to hold some structural stuff, and finding he couldn't get rid of it. I agree with Alan - rename/remove the object on the disc and restart.
Indeed I do remember that occurrence. I wanted to hide some TI parameters. The only way was, as Scott confirms, to shut the server down, delete it in the back end, and restart the server. Which took two hours at that particular client.

Martin
Please do not send technical questions via private message or email. Post them in the forum where you'll probably get a faster reply, and everyone can benefit from the answers.
Jodi Ryan Family Lawyer
Eric
MVP
Version: 9.4
Excel Version: 2003

Post by Eric »

thanks everyone
2 hours
OUCH!
Regards,
Eric
Blog: http://tm1-tipz.blogspot.com
Articles: http://www.google.com/reader/shared/use ... /label/TM1

Production: 32 bit 9.0 SP2, Windows 2000 Advanced Server. Web: 32 bit 9.0 SP2, Windows 2000 Server. Excel 2003