OLAP Product: TM1
Version: Tm1 10.2.2fp4 -> 2.09
Excel Version: Excel 2013 - 2019

Feeder and display zero values

Post by Olivier »

Hello everybody,

I come back on a topic already reviewed concerning :
- Display Zero Values in Views
- Define and Validate Feeders (from a cube to another)

I have set up a rule to manage some average calculations in a sales cube (X/Y) with Y depending of the current period stored in a param cube.

My rule works well and produces expected results.
BUT
when i tick "not display zero value" in a view where my rules calculated values sit, those results disapear.

I believe i am still under feeding ? (Or bad feeding at least).

Do you think it is relevant to validate feeders / rules by using this method as part of the validation ?
Have you guys ever seen a case where feeders are set up well and the rule calculated items still disapear when activating the not display zero values?

Thanks for any comment.

Regards,

Olivier
HTH
Olivier
Alan Kirk
Site Admin
Version: PA2.0.9.18 Classic NO PAW!
Excel Version: 2013 and Office 365

Re: Feeder and display zero values

Post by Alan Kirk »

Olivier wrote:I come back on a topic already reviewed concerning :
- Display Zero Values in Views
- Define and Validate Feeders (from a cube to another)

I have set up a rule to manage some average calculations in a sales cube (X/Y) with Y depending of the current period stored in a param cube.

My rule works well and produces expected results.
BUT
when i tick "not display zero value" in a view where my rules calculated values sit, those results disapear.

I believe i am still under feeding ? (Or bad feeding at least).
Most likely. The only time I've ever seen this happen is when the calculated values haven't been fed correctly.
Olivier wrote:Do you think it is relevant to validate feeders / rules by using this method as part of the validation ?
Weeeellll... in theory. In practice it's impossible to test every possible combination, so the bulk of the work really needs to be put into (a) imagining every "what if" you can come up with (particularly for rules which are dependent on multiple inputs) and (b) testing a few well thought-out scenarios.
Olivier wrote: Have you guys ever seen a case where feeders are set up well and the rule calculated items still disapear when activating the not display zero values?
Can't say as I have, no. That doesn't necessarily mean that it's ever hapened, but I'd be afraid, very afraid, if it had.

I'd suggest using the Trace Feeders or Check Feeders option, but I've never gotten any useful data out of them in 8.2.12; I don't know whether they've been "enhanced" (which is to say, "made to actually work") in later versions.
"To them, equipment failure is terrifying. To me, it’s 'Tuesday.' "
-----------
Before posting, please check the documentation, the FAQ, the Search function and FOR THE LOVE OF GLUB the Request Guidelines.
Olivier
Community Contributor

Resolved : Feeder and display zero values

Post by Olivier »

Hi Alan,
Thks for your answer,

I investigated, find teh issue and built a nice post out of my finding but unfortunatly it has been eaten by the time out of the forum...

Here is a quick re sum up :

Original made Rules :
['Avg - This wk Tour'] =
IF( DTYPE('Period',!Period)@='N',STET,
IF( DTYPE('Period',!Period)@='C' & ELLEV('Period',!Period)=2
& !Period @= AttrS('Period',DB('Load Parameters','Current Week','Value'),'Qtr')
,['Total Trips - This wk Tour']\AttrN('Period',DB('Load Parameters','Current Week','Value'),'Avg_WeekFlag'),
IF( DTYPE('Period',!Period)@='C'
& (ELLEV('Period',!Period)=1 % ELLEV('Period',!Period)=3 % ELLEV('Period',!Period)=4 % ELLEV('Period',!Period)=2)
& !Period @<> AttrS('Period',DB('Load Parameters','Current Week','Value'),'Qtr')
,['Total Trips - This wk Tour'] \DB('}ElementAttributes_Period',!Period,'Avg_WeekFlag'),0)));

#IF Period = N Level (Week), SKIP,
#IF Period = C Level and Level 2 (Quarter) and = Current Quarter
# THEN : Total Trip / WeekFlag of the Current Week
#IF Period = C Level and Level 1,2,3,4 (YTD Tots, Full Year, Half, Quarter, Month ) and Period <> Current Quarter
# THEN : Total Trip / WeekFlag of the Period selected

If put 0 or STET for N Levels, Rules calculation disapear when suppress zeroes in view,

By changing to this :
['Avg - This wk Tour'] =
IF( DTYPE('Period',!Period)@='N',['Total Trips - This wk Tour'],
it works fine.

Unfortunatly, i am not sure of exactly why does it behave this way...I am pretty sure it is related to the skipcheck, but if someone would be able to explain it in a simple manner it would be much appreciated.

Does it mean that if i want to have the N element calculated values = zero and still display the calculated rules values at conso levels, i would have to specify every single element where the calculation should be made (?)rather then define a large formula that execute all cases ? (and therefore avoid to use STET on N element by driving the STET effect manually?)

Thanks for any advice or point of view,

Kind Regards,

Olivier
HTH
Olivier
Steve Rowe
Site Admin
Version: TM1 v6,v7,v8,v9,v10,v11+PAW
Excel Version: Nearly all of them

Post by Steve Rowe »

Olivier,

The important thing to remember with feeders is that they only begin at the N level. Once an N level is populated or fed then the C levels above it get "fed" or flagged for calculation.

When you did not have a rule at the N level, even if your feeder was correct, the C levels would not get calculated since I don't think you can feed a cell that is not rule based. This meant that the N levels were not fed and hence the C levels were not fed.

Once you put a rule in at the N level the N levels cells could be fed and so the C level calculations started working (well displaying).

Complex C level rules of the nature you are trying to do are usually to be avoided or worked around. If you treat this issue as a design issue rather than a rules issue for example you could build a cube with a "flat" period dimension (i.e. just the consolidations from your main period dim as N levels) you could write your rules as N level rules. I'm not saying this is the "right" approach as often there's no such thing in TM1, just a different way of looking at the problem.

HTH

Steve
Technical Director
www.infocat.co.uk
Olivier
Community Contributor

Post by Olivier »

I don't think you can feed a cell that is not rule based
Thanks Steve for your comment.

I believe this is the key for my issue.

I thought you could feed an area and then restrict the rules to apply to a particular subarea of the feeders.
This may work but not with removing all N levels from the area to calculate.

Another feeder lesson learnt .)

Regards,

Olivier
HTH
Olivier