Site Admin
OLAP Product: TM1
Version: PA2.0.9.18 Classic NO PAW!
Excel Version: 2013 and Office 365

The Great ElLev Bug

Post by Alan Kirk »

Anyone remember this one?

http://applixforum.olapforums.com/viewP ... ev#1609112

I logged it as a support request (11-68308451). This morning I got one of those accursed e-mails from Cognos Insight:
"This is an automated message from Cognos Customer Support to advise you that your service request 11-68308451 has been resolved."
And on and on it went. Like a corpulent character from Dilbert with a coffee cup resting on its belly, the e-mail droned, and droned, and droned, honing irrelevance to the finest of arts. "If you agree that your request has been addressed then you need take no further action. Please do not reply to this message. Your service request will be closed automatically after approximately 5 business days. If you find that the proposed solution does not meet your needs then blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah ... etcetera"

Not one single character of the message was devoted to stating what the "resolution" was. Not one.

Accordingly I had to go to the Cognos Insight site. Joy to the world, I don't have anything better to do for the next 10 to 15 minutes anyway.

Here was my response when I saw the "resolution":
I just received an e-mail consisting of 2,730 characters of useless verbiage telling me that this request had been resolved. It did not tell me HOW it had been resolved. It did not tell me WHY it had been resolved. For that I had to click on the link, put on the director's cut of Titanic, and wait for this site to load. And when I got here I found "Engineering has scheduled fix for release 9.4mr1."

Yay.

Anyone want to enlighten me on what, exactly, the fix *IS*? As in, what value will it return in the circumstances described?

For the record, in relation to the comment that "Customer is requesting the treatment in rules and TI is definately preferrable to the handling in Excel", customer did not request any such thing. Customer expressed the view that invalid input should yield a clearly identifiable output, in this case -1. Customer DOES, however, think that whatever it DOES return, it should be consistent.
"To them, equipment failure is terrifying. To me, it’s 'Tuesday.' "
-----------
Before posting, please check the documentation, the FAQ, the Search function and FOR THE LOVE OF GLUB the Request Guidelines.
Mike L

Re: The Great ElLev Bug

Post by Mike L »

Besides, resolving to resolve it in a future release does not qualify ashaving been resolved. It is a significant milestone, but it ain't resolved until the fix is released (or a good while later when the release has stabilized enough to actually be used). Now, if it's consistency you're looking for....
Eric
MVP
OLAP Product: TM1
Version: 9.4
Excel Version: 2003

Re: The Great ElLev Bug

Post by Eric »

Cognos may be be a six letter word but it sure feels like a four letter one. Le Sigh...

Alan, I kid about you sporting a blue blazer over there at IBM, but maybe you should consider it and save us all from this pain!
Regards,
Eric
Blog: http://tm1-tipz.blogspot.com
Articles: http://www.google.com/reader/shared/use ... /label/TM1

Production: 32 bit 9.0 SP2, Windows 2000 Advanced Server. Web: 32 bit 9.0 SP2, Windows 2000 Server. Excel 2003