TM1 applications and uncommitted sandbox data

Robster
OLAP Product: TM1
Version: 10.2.2
Excel Version: 2013

TM1 applications and uncommitted sandbox data

Post by Robster »

Hey all,

I'm running into some issues with sandboxes and tm1 applications and I'm wondering if anyone has some insight regarding this situation.

What is causing the problem:

• User A uses Tm1 application to update forceast figures for november (during november 2018), but doesn't commit, figures remain blue.
• It's now december 2018 and november has changed from a forecast month to an actual month. CellSecurity locks data entry for actual months.
• User A updates forecast figures for december (during december 2018) and uses commit to add them to the base model.
• However, the data doesn't commit and the tm1server log notices an error because it is trying to commit the november and december data from the sandbox to the base model which is now locked (for november) by CellSecurity.
• This means that none of the data in the sandbox gets committed to the base model.

Ultimately the user should have committed their november data during november and then there wouldn't be any issues. However, these issues seem to occur every once in a while.

I tried removing sandboxes (to start with a clean slate next period) during periods where people do not use the application but noticed that I couldn't identify/remove sandboxes of users who weren't logged in since the reboot of the model.

Ultimately I'm looking for a solution to the problem where 'old' uncommitted data can be automatically cleared before a new cycle of data input starts.

Please let me know if you have any suggestions.

Kind regards,
Elessar
Community Contributor
OLAP Product: PA 2
Version: 2.0.9
Excel Version: 2016

Re: TM1 applications and uncommitted sandbox data

Post by Elessar »

Hi,

Application reset also removes sandboxes: https://www.ibm.com/support/knowledgece ... butor.html
This can also be done automatically using TM1 app maintenance utility: https://www.ibm.com/support/knowledgece ... stool.html
Best regards, Alexander Dvoynev

TM1 and Data Science blog: 6th article - PAfE + VBA: Commit each cell without pressing “Commit” button.
Robster
OLAP Product: TM1
Version: 10.2.2
Excel Version: 2013

Re: TM1 applications and uncommitted sandbox data

Post by Robster »

Thank you for your reply.

The application reset seems to do the trick, however I'm encountering the same kinds of issue when I was trying to resolve this issue by using the sandboxdelete function in TI.

It seems that sandboxes are not loaded into memory when a user is not logged into the system after a model reboot (the model restarts every night), and therefor are not deleted when I reset the application.

I did the folowing test:

1. Test user creates a sandbox.
2. Admin restarts the tm1 service
3. Admin resets the application (which deletes sandboxes as well)
4. Tm1server.log notices that 'no sandboxes were affected'
5. The test user logs into the tm1 application portal
6. Admin resets the application again
7. Tm1server.log now logs the deletion of the sandbox the test user had created at step 1

If this is true then all the users who haven't logged on since the reboot of the model, will not have their sandboxes destroyed by resetting the application.

At this point I'm wondering if the best solution is just parsing the sandbox.namemap files in the data folder and removing all sandbox folders which match with the application names.

Is there any risk involved with removing sandboxes manually in the datafolder?