Old TM1 version

CellPutN
OLAP Product: TM1
Version: 10.2.20500.75
Excel Version: 2016

Old TM1 version

Post by CellPutN »

Hello,
I'm using tm1 since 2016 and I always wonder what older TM1 (Sinper TM/1, Applix TM1) looks like ? Did Sinper and Applix have always used architect ? Did anyone have screenshot of older version ?

Thanks !
jim wood
Site Admin
Version: PA 2.0.7
Excel Version: Office 365

Re: Old TM1 version

Post by jim wood »

Architect only came with version 7. Before that it was very different. Everything was built in to Excel. Even loading data as there was no TI either.
Struggling through the quagmire of life to reach the other side of who knows where.
Shop at Amazon
Jimbo PC Builds on YouTube
Alan Kirk
Site Admin
Version: PA2.0.9.18 Classic NO PAW!
Excel Version: 2013 and Office 365

Post by Alan Kirk »

jim wood wrote: Thu Jan 10, 2019 4:31 pm
CellPutN wrote: Thu Jan 10, 2019 4:12 pm Hello,
I'm using tm1 since 2016 and I always wonder what older TM1 (Sinper TM/1, Applix TM1) looks like ? Did Sinper and Applix have always used architect ? Did anyone have screenshot of older version ?

Thanks !
Architect only came with version 7. Before that it was very different. Everything was built in to Excel. Even loading data as there was no TI either.
Or built into Lotus 1-2-3. There was a time when Excel support was New! And! Exciting!

From the Perspectives 2.6 manual, this is what the ancestor of Cube Viewer looked like:
CubeViewer.jpg
CubeViewer.jpg (114.79 KiB) Viewed 5294 times
And this is what Subset Editor looked like. Unsurprisingly there were no alias buttons at that time, because the concept of an alias had yet to exist:
SubsetEditor.jpg
SubsetEditor.jpg (132.08 KiB) Viewed 5294 times
jim wood wrote: Thu Jan 10, 2019 4:31 pm Even loading data as there was no TI either.
That functionality is still there in the form of the "Example" and "Process" buttons on the ribbon tab, though I'd lay odds that 95% of TM1 users have never looked at those or know what they mean. There was a VBA based tool (once Excel support came along) which sat over that which you could use to schedule the imports. It was about as reliable as a first generation steam train (as in, Stephenson's Rocket, but less robust) and although I used to use the thing daily I cannot for the life of me remember its name now. My then-boss later-assistant used to loathe it with a passion. (At least it was less finnicky than PAW.)

But who could forget the ability to import / export similarly formatted spreadsheets?
ImportSpreadsheets.jpg
ImportSpreadsheets.jpg (115.8 KiB) Viewed 5294 times
{Pauses... stands up, looks over shoulder in the general direction of 1999, looks at 2019 calendar on the wall....} What the hell just happened?
"To them, equipment failure is terrifying. To me, it’s 'Tuesday.' "
-----------
Before posting, please check the documentation, the FAQ, the Search function and FOR THE LOVE OF GLUB the Request Guidelines.
bgregs
OLAP Product: TM1 / Planning Analytics
Version: 2.0

Post by bgregs »

@Alan Kirk,

My god that explains the random macros that I stumbled across!! These are still hanging around as of PA 2.0 under the name "IMPEXP_WORKS" and can still be mapped into the Quick Access Ribbon by looking under the "Macros" drop-down. ;)
Attachments
impexp_works.PNG
impexp_works.PNG (18.74 KiB) Viewed 5285 times
Alan Kirk
Site Admin
Version: PA2.0.9.18 Classic NO PAW!
Excel Version: 2013 and Office 365

Post by Alan Kirk »

Alan Kirk wrote: Thu Jan 10, 2019 6:44 pm There was a VBA based tool (once Excel support came along) which sat over that which you could use to schedule the imports. It was about as reliable as a first generation steam train (as in, Stephenson's Rocket, but less robust) and although I used to use the thing daily I cannot for the life of me remember its name now. My then-boss later-assistant used to loathe it with a passion. (At least it was less finnicky than PAW.)
Ah, now I remember. It was called "Data Control". Clearly a suppressed memory.
bgregs wrote: Thu Jan 10, 2019 8:53 pm @Alan Kirk,

My god that explains the random macros that I stumbled across!! These are still hanging around as of PA 2.0 under the name "IMPEXP_WORKS" and can still be mapped into the Quick Access Ribbon by looking under the "Macros" drop-down. ;)
That's not surprising; I don't think that the Perspectives add-in has been cleaned out in a very, very long time. Whether the functionality still works equally in 32 bit and 64 bit is a different matter given the issue with something as basic as the xdi dimension open function. The intention was that PAx would be the cleanout, but, hey... PAW and the curse of Docker. So the legacy code lives on.
"To them, equipment failure is terrifying. To me, it’s 'Tuesday.' "
-----------
Before posting, please check the documentation, the FAQ, the Search function and FOR THE LOVE OF GLUB the Request Guidelines.
Michel Zijlema
Site Admin
OLAP Product: TM1, PALO
Version: both 2.5 and higher
Excel Version: 2003-2007-2010

Post by Michel Zijlema »

And if we go even further back in time :ugeek: ... there was this interface:
TM1_4.0.png
TM1_4.0.png (77.96 KiB) Viewed 5255 times
jim wood
Site Admin
Version: PA 2.0.7
Excel Version: Office 365

Post by jim wood »

Alan Kirk wrote: Thu Jan 10, 2019 6:44 pm Or built into Lotus 1-2-3. There was a time when Excel support was New! And! Exciting!
I forgot all about Lotus. I used to love Lotus. With the power keys you could do everything without touching a mouse it was awesome!!
Struggling through the quagmire of life to reach the other side of who knows where.
Shop at Amazon
Jimbo PC Builds on YouTube
CellPutN
Version: 10.2.20500.75

Post by CellPutN »

Wow thanks guys !

Nice to see how TM1 / PAW has improved over years !