PAX Set Editor: assigning the “members to view” to default to something other than “All Roots”

goconnor
OLAP Product: Planning Analytics
Version: PAX 11+
Excel Version: Excel 2016

PAX Set Editor: assigning the “members to view” to default to something other than “All Roots”

Post by goconnor »

When opening the set editor for a dimension (for example, while exploring a cube), the set editor opens a view of the dimension called “All Roots”. For some large dimensions, this is not a good view of the dimension.
In perspectives, when opening a dimension to view, if there is a “default” subset, it will display the default subset. This is convenient and helpful for our users.
It’s certainly easy to select the default set in the PAX set editor once opened but it is an extra step and has not been easily discoverable by me and other users.

I’ve searched this forum for an answer. There is reference to {HierarchyProperties cube and the “defaultMember” element but that doesn’t seem to have an impact.
Is there a way in PAX to default the set editor to a specific subset – such as the “default” subset?

I would appreciate any guidance or suggestions.
jorelb
OLAP Product: IBM Planning Analytics Cloud
Version: 2.0.9 IF (2)
Excel Version: 2016

Re: PAX Set Editor: assigning the “members to view” to default to something other than “All Roots”

Post by jorelb »

I think with PAW 38, the ability to save private default subsets is enabled.
With private subsets enabled, when you open the Set Editor, the right pane will display the elements of the private default.
There is no mention of this functionality in the release but I have been able to make it work somewhat.
Still playing around/testing.

Thanks,
goconnor

Re: PAX Set Editor: assigning the “members to view” to default to something other than “All Roots”

Post by goconnor »

OK- that's a good point. PAX is using the PAW set editor. We're on PAW 37.
That will be a nice feature (right pane will default to the user's private default).

If there's a way to default the left pane for all users, that would better for our purposes.
Your dimension has to be very clean for "All Roots" to be useful. For us, that's a minority of our many dimensions.
lotsaram
MVP
OLAP Product: TableManager1
Version: PA 2.0.x
Excel Version: Office 365

Post by lotsaram »

goconnor wrote: Mon Dec 10, 2018 8:21 pm When opening the set editor for a dimension (for example, while exploring a cube), the set editor opens a view of the dimension called “All Roots”. For some large dimensions, this is not a good view of the dimension.
A "root element" is any consolidation which itself doesn't have any parents. Especially for any large dimension you shouldn't have a lot of these. If you do it indicates something badly wrong with your dimension management processes. An easy workaround to this problem would be organize the current root elements into logical parents. After all an organized structure is what hierarchies and dimensions are all about!

This is not to say I don't agree with you. Absolutely a default subset should be definable per hierarchy. This would actually be one of the very first things you would expect a sunset editor to support!
Only that the solution to too many roots is pretty simple, just give them a set of common parents.
Please place all requests for help in a public thread. I will not answer PMs requesting assistance.
goconnor

Post by goconnor »

"Dimension management process" - what's that?? Just kidding.
Yes, good point. We will endeavour to improve the logical structure of our most ugly dimensions...while hoping the default feature is added in the future. :)
Thanks for the feedback.