PA 2.0.6 Temporary Subset Unable To Register

kenship
Regular Participant
OLAP Product: Cognos
Version: Planning Analytics 2.0.7
Excel Version: 2010

PA 2.0.6 Temporary Subset Unable To Register

Post by kenship »

We just upgraded from 2.0.4 to 2.0.6 and realize many processes that utilize the automatic clearing of temporary view and subset not working for us.

It seems like if a process chain is called the clearing won't happen until the end of the process chain. In 2.0.4 it seems to be cleared at the end of each process.

We have a few process chains and within the chain the same dimension is re-engaged and now in 2.0.6 it couldn't proceed with it.

I'm now changing the TI to clear clear out the subset at the end of each process or to rename temporary subset different, but I wonder if someone else experience the same issue.

Thanks.

Kenneth
Wim Gielis
MVP
OLAP Product: TM1, Jedox
Version: PAL 2.0.9.18
Excel Version: Microsoft 365

Re: PA 2.0.6 Temporary Subset Unable To Register

Post by Wim Gielis »

Hi Kenneth,

I can relate to this problem. But I have no solution.

2 weeks ago after upgrading a TM1 model, I had to rewrite certain view and subset creations because of this issue with temporary objects. It was most of the time a mother process looping over 12 periods and within the loop a second process was called with a parameter for the period. After explicitly deleting the temporary views and subsets, the code ran just fine. It shouldn’t be necessary though.
Best regards,

Wim Gielis

IBM Champion 2024
Excel Most Valuable Professional, 2011-2014
https://www.wimgielis.com ==> 121 TM1 articles and a lot of custom code
Newest blog article: Deleting elements quickly
kenship
Regular Participant

Post by kenship »

Thanks for your reply.

I just want to confirm that I'm not the only one who has this problem.

Ken
Wim Gielis
MVP
OLAP Product: TM1, Jedox
Version: PAL 2.0.9.18
Excel Version: Microsoft 365

Post by Wim Gielis »

kenship wrote: Sun Dec 09, 2018 1:04 pmThanks for your reply.

I just want to confirm that I'm not the only one who has this problem.

Ken
Confirmed ;)
And thanks for confirming my suspicions about the subject.
Best regards,

Wim Gielis

IBM Champion 2024
Excel Most Valuable Professional, 2011-2014
https://www.wimgielis.com ==> 121 TM1 articles and a lot of custom code
Newest blog article: Deleting elements quickly
lotsaram
MVP
OLAP Product: TableManager1
Version: PA 2.0.x
Excel Version: Office 365

Post by lotsaram »

I would suggest that a far better approach to deleting a temporary view or subset (which is a bit of an oxymoron) would be to ensure that all temp objects are assigned unique names.
e.g.

Code: Select all

cTempView = 'whatever';
cTimeStamp = TimSt( Now, '\Y\m\d\h\i\s' );
sRandomInt = NumberToString( INT( RAND( ) * 1000 ));
sTempView = Expand('%cTempView%_%cTimeStamp%_%sRandomInt%');
Actually it is a longstanding gripe of mine that the implementation of temporary objects was done very poorly leading to a far reduced scope where they can be used and encouraging poor coding practices due to temp objects being accessible only to the immediate TI process which created them as opposed to persisting for the duration of a transaction (and therefore being available to library function processes which would make them much more useful!) There is likewise fairly long in the tooth enhancement request for this which IBM declined. Seeing this change of behavior gives me some hope that IBM has reconsidered and might be on the path to making temporary views and subsets a worthwhile and useful feature. Well we can live in hope.
Please place all requests for help in a public thread. I will not answer PMs requesting assistance.
kenship
Regular Participant

Post by kenship »

Thanks for the reply.

I probably won't go as far as you but like I said I either apply view and subset clearing in epilog or name the subset uniquely depending on the situation.

Kenneth
lotsaram wrote: Sun Dec 09, 2018 3:34 pm I would suggest that a far better approach to deleting a temporary view or subset (which is a bit of an oxymoron) would be to ensure that all temp objects are assigned unique names.
e.g.

Code: Select all

cTempView = 'whatever';
cTimeStamp = TimSt( Now, '\Y\m\d\h\i\s' );
sRandomInt = NumberToString( INT( RAND( ) * 1000 ));
sTempView = Expand('%cTempView%_%cTimeStamp%_%sRandomInt%');
Actually it is a longstanding gripe of mine that the implementation of temporary objects was done very poorly leading to a far reduced scope where they can be used and encouraging poor coding practices due to temp objects being accessible only to the immediate TI process which created them as opposed to persisting for the duration of a transaction (and therefore being available to library function processes which would make them much more useful!) There is likewise fairly long in the tooth enhancement request for this which IBM declined. Seeing this change of behavior gives me some hope that IBM has reconsidered and might be on the path to making temporary views and subsets a worthwhile and useful feature. Well we can live in hope.