TM1 Perspectives on Network vs Stand-Alone

mivers
OLAP Product: IBM Cognos TM1 Perspectives
Version: 10.2.2
Excel Version: 2010

TM1 Perspectives on Network vs Stand-Alone

Post by mivers »

I was hoping someone could provide assistance.

I have IBM Cognos TM! Perspectives and have been running it perfectly on a stand-alone computer.

I am now trying to have it placed on our network so that another user in my office can access.

We have a dedicated location on a shared "Y" drive.

I have gone into IBM Cognos Configuration to add a server instance under TM1Server. It allows me to add a new server and I have included the configuration path. However, when I attempt to start the new server, I receive a system error 1067 message. I have tried everything, including all possible changes I can make to the tm1s.cfg to make this work.

Does anyone have advice as to how I can make this work? I am not an IT person, but as long as a fix is not "too technical" I should be able to figure it out.

Thanks in advance!
bgregs
OLAP Product: TM1 / Planning Analytics
Version: 2.0
Excel Version: 2016

Re: TM1 Perspectives on Network vs Stand-Alone

Post by bgregs »

I really think you may want to involve an "IT person" in this particular case. Can you clarify what exactly you are trying to accomplish? You mentioned hosting Perspectives on a shared drive, which you definitely should not do. Perspectives creates configuration files per user... If you want to accomplish a "shared" feel, you should use something like a Citrix server to host your Perspectives installation so that each user has their own environment to work in.

I lost you when you mentioned Cognos Configuration. Are you trying to create a new instance of a database as well? Did you copy all of the object files into the new folder for your instance when you created it?

Nothing about implementing TM1 is mechanically "too technical", but understanding how server and client applications interact is. I would strongly recommend at least involving one of your local IT people to take a look at the documentation hosted here:

https://www.ibm.com/support/knowledgece ... -gen3.html
mivers

Post by mivers »

Thank you for your response. My goal is simply to share my database with another user.

The Cognos Configuration is done here, but perhaps I should not have to do anything here?:
Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (42.56 KiB) Viewed 4886 times

I did copy all the files to the network shared drive, but am having trouble figuring out how to have Perspectives "point" to it.

Thank you again for your time and response.
tomok
MVP
OLAP Product: TM1, Palo
Version: Beginning of time thru 10.2
Excel Version: 2003-2007-2010-2013

Post by tomok »

Are you talking about adding a new TM1 service to the TM1 server or are you talking about local cubes and dimensions you have built on your local PC? You need to show us two things; 1) a screen shot of the settings for Perspectives/Architect and 2) a screen shot of the Architect/Perspectives tree once you start it up. It sounds like you have confused the concept of a TM1 server, which is designed for multiple users and a "Local Server" which is actually just cubes and dimensions you have on your local PC. You can't share these with others without a lot of intermediate steps to make it work which I'm not going to get into here.
Tom O'Kelley - Manager Finance Systems
American Tower
http://www.onlinecourtreservations.com/
mivers

Post by mivers »

Hello,

My goal is to have the ability to share (or copy to a shared location on the network) the cubes and dimensions I have built and are stored on my local pc so that they may be shared and used by others. I do apologize for the confusion I am creating.

Here is a screenshot of the settings:
settings.JPG
settings.JPG (64.03 KiB) Viewed 4844 times
And here is an attachment of the tree:
Architect.JPG
Architect.JPG (35.6 KiB) Viewed 4844 times
I am just unsure of the steps to accomplish moving the cubes and dimensions from my local hard drive to the network so that they can be shared.

Thanks for any help, I do appreciate it.
tomok
MVP

Post by tomok »

As I suspected, you have created a local set of dimensions and cubes. You can't really "share" these. You can copy the contents of your C:/Users/itsupport.CFB/Desktop/CFB folder to a network share and then point your Data Directory there. Others can point their TM1 to the same place but only one person will be able to access the cubes at a time because whoever has it up will have a lock on the files. Sorry, if you need multi-user access you'll need to have IT set up a new TM1 service for you and have them can copy the contents of your local folder to the folder for the new service.
American Tower
mivers

Post by mivers »

This makes perfect sense and thank you for explaining in a manner I understand completely.

Our IT dept has not had a product similar to this before. Are there instructions you might be able to point me to that would assist them in setting up a new TM1 Service on the network?

Thank you very much for your help and for taking the time to respond.
tomok
MVP

Post by tomok »

You own TM1 (which is quite expensive BTW) and no one in your organization knows how to use it nor has any documentation? You can just Google, it will give you plenty of links to online docs.
American Tower
mivers

Post by mivers »

Not the case at all, but thanks, I'll find it. And thanks again for your assistance, much appreciated.
Steve Rowe
Site Admin
OLAP Product: TM1
Version: TM1 v6,v7,v8,v9,v10,v11+PAW
Excel Version: Nearly all of them

Post by Steve Rowe »

Hi
Judging by what is showing in the Cognos Configuration you are running two "full" TM1 servers that anyone can connect to.

SData is the sample DB and can probably turned off and set to manual.
CFB is your own content that you have built, this is running on the same hardware from which you took the screen shot of the client options. Lets call this hardware (or VM) "TM1Box".

To allow other people to connect to CFB they will need the TM1 client in their environment and also to put "TM1Box" in the admin host box of the TM1 options.

If this doesn't work then you will probably need to talk whoever looks after your network to ensure firewalls and ports are open.

You are in a pretty unusual situation with a single user TM1 system and you need to be sure you are aware of the implications of what you are doing and as Tom suggests get someone from IT involved.

Additionally you need to be fully aware of the licence implications, everyone who connects to TM1 has a licence, running a full TM1 server requires a licence.

HTH and GL!
Technical Director
www.infocat.co.uk