Need Help making copy of existing cube in TM1

AudiBoi
OLAP Product: TM1 Architect
Version: 10.2.2
Excel Version: 2016

Need Help making copy of existing cube in TM1

Post by AudiBoi »

Hello. We are switching servers (to a newer one) and I was tasked with creating a copy/clone of an existing cube which will be used as a test cube once we switch servers. Basically, we have a cube which is named: "Master_Cube". I need to create an exact copy/clone of this cube, and name it "Master_Cube-Test". The only TM1 tool that I use is Architect and the Finance team uses Perspectives for their Financial reporting.

This Master_Cube was built way before I started with this company, so I'm not familiar of all the intricate details. I have never needed to copy or clone a cube before so I am reaching out for help. If someone could please tell me step by step, the easiest way to do this, I would appreciate it so much! I am assuming this probably isn't too difficult, but I could be wrong.

Can someone please tell me how I can achieve this?

Thank you in advance!!

-B
lotsaram
MVP
OLAP Product: TableManager1
Version: PA 2.0.x
Excel Version: Office 365

Re: Need Help making copy of existing cube in TM1

Post by lotsaram »

Please place all requests for help in a public thread. I will not answer PMs requesting assistance.
Mark2007
OLAP Product: Cognos TM1
Version: PA 2
Excel Version: office 365

Post by Mark2007 »

shall the new cube consist of the same dimensions or do the need to be renamed, too?
in the first case, go to the data directory, copy the Master.cub-File and rename it to Master_test.cub and start the server again
In the second case, you'll have to do it via a TI-Script.
bgregs
OLAP Product: TM1 / Planning Analytics
Version: 2.0

Post by bgregs »

I agree with Mark for the most part with one small exception: the Measures dimension SHOULD be renamed. The only time I could ever see reusing a measures dimension from another cube is if the cube is strictly for testing (and even then I never like that approach i.e. test becomes permanent ;) ). Best practice is to follow the link lotsa provided, or code out your own TI (it's very simple to load data if the dimensions are the same).

Again, please ALWAYS remember to create a measure dimension, and for the sake of everyone else who may look at it (even in Dev): please use unique Measure dimension names!!!
AudiBoi
OLAP Product: TM1 Architect
Version: 10.2.2

Post by AudiBoi »

Sorry for the delay. Thank you all for your responses. I got caught up with another project and I am back on this. I appreciate the responses. I am sure I will have more questions.

Thanks

-B