How to change port numbers in tm1

spartan
OLAP Product: IBM cognos
Version: 10.2.2
Excel Version: 2013

How to change port numbers in tm1

Post by spartan »

Hello,

Actually my instances like A,B in 12345 server are going down, and displaying as, unable to listen to the port number XXXX. So can i change the port number and http portnumber in the config files of A,B instances of 12345 server. And also is it enough to change the port numbers in config files only.
orlando
Community Contributor
OLAP Product: TM1
Version: PAL 2.0.8
Excel Version: Office 365

Re: How to change port numbers in tm1

Post by orlando »

Hi,

for the "normal" port the change in config should be enough.
For the "Http port" it could be necessary to make settings in the firewall of your server/domain (ask your IT admin).

regards,
orlando
paulsimon
MVP
Version: PA 2.0.5
Excel Version: 2016

Post by paulsimon »

Hi

The previous post gave the answer as to how to change the port numbers. However, you said that your servers are going down. Does that mean crashing or failing to start up? The unable to listen on port X may be a symptom of your problem rather than the cause. Eg are your servers running out of memory? This can give rise to a number of other symptoms. You need to give more information, eg were your servers ever starting and have only just started failing or have you never been able to start them? If it is the latter then it might be a port problem. However, it would be more likely that the server would start but you just would not be able to communicate with it. What is the specific port number that is being given in the error? We need to find out whether it is communication with the Admin Host that is the issue. Is the Admin Host on the same box as the TM1 Server?

Regards

Paul Simon
spartan

Post by spartan »

Hello Paul simon,

Actually the instances A,B in server 12345 are showing the error as 'server unable to listen on port 5000.please check log for futher details'.

So, as a workaround restarting the server 12345, fixing the issue. after restarting 12345 server the instances behave normally.

I checked memory, no memory issues.

Thanks in advance
Mark RMBC
Community Contributor
Version: 10.1.1
Excel Version: Excel 2010

Post by Mark RMBC »

I had an issue in the past and the reason for the unable to listen on port error in my case was that I had an action button in a worksheet (a simple recalculate) that pointed to a different TM1 server. Once I updated the action button to point to the correct server the issue was resolved.

cheers, Mark
Steve Rowe
Site Admin
Version: TM1 v6,v7,v8,v9,v10,v11+PAW
Excel Version: Nearly all of them

Post by Steve Rowe »

Hi Sparten,

We've noted in recent releases that this issue occurs intermittently.

The TM1 DB will be running quite happily on whatever ports it is set to run at. If it is then stopped or the box rebooted it will occasionally report this error with port number it was running on.

I used to think it was because the admin server had not released the port quick enough if I was just restarting the DB but then it happened on a reboot of the box, which knocks that theory on the head.

Once you get the error if you just start the service again it will run with no issue, or set the service to restart on failure for unattended restarts. i.e. it does not seem to be an issue with the port number, there is something else going on.

Can't reproduce so not raised with IBM.
Technical Director
www.infocat.co.uk
spartan

Post by spartan »

Hello Steve,

As you said to restart the service, I tried many times but it is showing me the error 1067 the process terminated unexpectedly.

This is the scenario is occuring in the different environments(testing, devlopment), if we reboot the server where the instances were located then it works fine for some days.