TM1 Applications Slow Performance

ashokjb
OLAP Product: TM1, PAL
Version: 9.5, 10.2.2, 2.0.1
Excel Version: 2010 2013

TM1 Applications Slow Performance

Post by ashokjb »

Hi,

We are facing performance issues while accessing TM1 web applications. We are in PAL 2.0.1 and in distributed setup with Admin server and application server are installed in two different servers. It takes about 30 secs to open an application using both IE and Chrome in a distributed setup but by setting up the applications in a single server (both web n app together in the same server) I was able to bring down the processing time from 30 secs to 5 secs.

Our server are having enough HW resources to handle large data so I don't think its related the HW. It is clear there is some issue when it comes to distributed setup. We raised PMR with IBM but got no resolutions till now. Is anyone facing same kind performance issue? Is there any setting to update which can improve application performance in the distributed setup? Please advice.
declanr
MVP
OLAP Product: Cognos TM1
Version: PA2.0 and most of the old ones
Excel Version: All of em

Re: TM1 Applications Slow Performance

Post by declanr »

Setting up the web applications to run on a separate machine is fairly common in most companies and you certainly shouldn’t experience significant performance issues as a result of it.
The most likely issue is simply that the machines you are using have a latency between them, have you tried to test the network performance between the two servers in question?
Declan Rodger
gtonkin
MVP
OLAP Product: TM1
Version: Latest and greatest
Excel Version: Office 365 64-bit

Re: TM1 Applications Slow Performance

Post by gtonkin »

I tend to agree with Declan - the latency could be down to name resolution, network adapters incorrectly configured etc.
I have had both issues before and always check them first.

1) Try running a trace route from both sides to see the path the traffic takes. Does using the IP Address change anything?
2) Check the network cards - I've had instances where in the "old" days setting to 100/1000 *auto negotiate* performed poorly and vice versa.

HTH

Edit: For the 2nd, 3rd, subsequent opening of an application, does it take the same amount of time as the first? Just thinking about caching, either on the web server or TM1.