PA 2.0 - TM1Web reboot

yyi
Community Contributor

PA 2.0 - TM1Web reboot

Post by yyi »

Hi,

This is probably a dumb question but can someone tell me (on PAL) how to restart TM1Web?
I've been looking all over documentations and web searches and can't seem to find it anywhere.

Thanks
Yeon
Alan Kirk
Site Admin
OLAP Product: TM1
Version: PA2.0.9.18 Classic NO PAW!
Excel Version: 2013 and Office 365

Re: PA 2.0 - TM1Web reboot

Post by Alan Kirk »

yyi wrote: Fri Oct 19, 2018 10:02 am Hi,

This is probably a dumb question but does anyone know (on PAL) how to restart TM1Web?
I've been looking all over documentations and web searches and can't seem to find it anywhere.

Thanks
The same way that you do it in 10.2.2; the easiest way is through Cognos Configuration via the oh-so-intuitive Local Configuration -> Environment -> IBM Cognos TM1 Services -> "IBM Cognos TM1 - Yes We Really Do Mean That This Is TM1 Web But You Don't Expect Us To Call It That Do You Because We Don't Want To Make Life Too Easy For You" node.

Doing it that way will make sure that all of the cryptographic crud is correctly generated.
"To them, equipment failure is terrifying. To me, it’s 'Tuesday.' "
-----------
Before posting, please check the documentation, the FAQ, the Search function and FOR THE LOVE OF GLUB the Request Guidelines.
yyi
Community Contributor

Post by yyi »

Thanks Alan, yes I couldn't have guessed - I thought that was the application service for tm1 instances that runs on after the admin server.

But now I have a cryptography error :(
CAM-CRP1315 Current configuration points to a different Trust Domain than originally configured. [I'm thinking maybe because I.T. changed the server alias?] message which sounds even more cryptic for me as I haven't installed PAL previously.

More reading & searching now.. unless you happen to know how to either bypass or reconfigure.
Yeon
yyi
Community Contributor

Post by yyi »

Well, after following 2 of the suggested fixes on the ibm site that still produced the same error - so annoying; I decided to just take a guess and delete the ..\tm1_64\configuration\cogstartup.xml file > start ibm cognos configuration again > [complains the file is missing] start with default settings > save configuration > add back the tm1 instance (plan samp, etc appeared by default) > start tm1 admin server + ibm cognos tm1(@=tm1web) + tm1 server instance(s). Everything back online! (paw was not harmed during the production of this drama)
Yeon
paulsimon
MVP
Version: PA 2.0.5
Excel Version: 2016

Post by paulsimon »

Hi

For your original question, assuming you are using Windows, you can also go to Services and it is the Service called IBM Cognos TM1. Why IBM couldn't have called it IBM Cognos TM1 Web I don't know. The advantage is that getting into Services is a lot quicker than getting in to IBM Cognos Configuration.

Regards

Paul Simon
Alan Kirk
Site Admin
Version: PA2.0.9.18 Classic NO PAW!
Excel Version: 2013 and Office 365

Post by Alan Kirk »

yyi wrote: Fri Oct 19, 2018 1:51 pmEverything back online! (paw was not harmed during the production of this drama)
Primarily because of PA misconception #1. The "classic" TM1 interfaces (Perspectives, Architect... and Web) can be installed in PA2 without going through the ridiculous blood pressure-elevating train wreck of a mess that is PAW / PAX / Docker installation, and can run just fine without those.

Of course you don't get alternative hierarchies (IBM's term, not mine), but you can run PA2 as just a later version of 10.2.2.

As far as Web goes, the principal change is that instead of IIS (which a lot of people know) acting as the web server as it did back in 9.5.x and earlier, and instead of Apache / Tomcat (which even more people know) acting as the server as it did in 10.2.2, now Websphere (which 3 guys and a dog know) is the preferred server for TM1 Web in PA2 because, hey, it's an IBM product, and if we at IBM actually gave a stuff about what makes life easier for you the user we wouldn't have lumbered you with a very fussy and unreliable and fiddly implementation of Docker in a Windows environment... sorry, I was channelling the IBM Client Software Group there. Anyway, Websphere is this week's preferred web server so, yeah, that's the main difference. Once you figure out the completely unintuitive method of installing it and starting it, it actually looks and feels pretty similar to the older incarnations. (And does, admittedly, look a lot better than the old Webs with their "thousand sessions of Excel" rendering methodology.)
paulsimon wrote: Sat Oct 20, 2018 7:07 pm For your original question, assuming you are using Windows, you can also go to Services and it is the Service called IBM Cognos TM1.
Or even faster, just do it through Powershell. I restart servers that way, but prefer to go to Cognos Config to restart Web simply because if there are any errors, I find that they are more readily visible and obvious in Cognos Config.

(Of course I "fondly" recall the way I told the TM1 installer to install the Admin Server and yet... it did not actually exist on the machine until I went through Cognos Configuration to do all of its cryptography voodoo. But thereafter I'll admit that you rarely need Cognos Config, though I grudgingly admit that it does make creating new server instances quick and easy.)
paulsimon wrote: Sat Oct 20, 2018 7:07 pm Why IBM couldn't have called it IBM Cognos TM1 Web I don't know. The advantage is that getting into Services is a lot quicker than getting in to IBM Cognos Configuration.
Back in 10.2.2 i would have agreed, but I don't find that to be so any longer; the speed is about the same in my experience when you take into account scrolling through the million and one services that Windows Bloatware has running "for your safe-ty and se-kuriteeee" to find the one that you need. At least in PA2 CC seems to me to be a lot faster than it was in earlier versions. As for why they couldn't call Web "Web"... that would be too much like making user lives easier. And The Docker Experience shows that this is not IBM's core business.
"To them, equipment failure is terrifying. To me, it’s 'Tuesday.' "
-----------
Before posting, please check the documentation, the FAQ, the Search function and FOR THE LOVE OF GLUB the Request Guidelines.