Ajay
Regular Participant
OLAP Product: TM1
Version: 10.2.0, PA 2.0.9
Excel Version: 2016

TM1 BI Package Change

Post by Ajay »

Hi All

Firstly, I am hoping that I have posted this request in the correct part of the forum as this is a TM1 BI question !!

I have recently needed to create a new TM1 Model/Instance, fortunately the cubes are all the same as an old one. For the old one, I had a data source connection for the packages used by my Report Studio reports which pointed to the old TM1 instance, but I now can't seem to modify these packages to look at the new TM1 instance.

I don't seem to be provided any options to modify the data source connection at all, despite creating a new one, which I would like the existing packages to use.

Does anyone know how this can be done ? or am I staring down the barrel of recreating new packages against the new data source connection ?

Cheers
Ajay
paulsimon
MVP
Version: PA 2.0.5

Re: TM1 BI Package Change

Post by paulsimon »

Hi Ajay
I have recently needed to create a new TM1 Model/Instance, fortunately the cubes are all the same as an old one. For the old one, I had a data source connection for the packages used by my Report Studio reports which pointed to the old TM1 instance, but I now can't seem to modify these packages to look at the new TM1 instance.

I don't seem to be provided any options to modify the data source connection at all, despite creating a new one, which I would like the existing packages to use.

Does anyone know how this can be done ? or am I staring down the barrel of recreating new packages against the new data source connection ?
There may be people who have a better knowledge of BI querying TM1 than I do. We have phased out all use of BI for querying TM1. From what I know it is not particularly easy to change the package on which a BI report is based. However, I would try the following :

a) In Framework Manager see if you can use the existing Package Name but re-point it at your new model

b) If you export the package, you will find that it exports as XML. I think in the past I did edit the XML to make it point to a different server location and then re-imported the package and this worked. However, from what I can remember the XML needed to be edited in 2-3 places. However, this was quite a few years ago now. When using Framework Manager, you will probably find that you need to run it under the main Cognos Admin user, eg CognosADM, as running it under a general member of the Cognos Administrator Group will not work.

Regards

Paul Simon
Ajay
Regular Participant
Version: 10.2.0, PA 2.0.9

Post by Ajay »

Thanks Paul for getting back to me.

It turned out to be a bit of a PITA using FM and so I abandoned it.

It took a couple of hours to recreate the Packages manually, and copied out each report as an XML and did a find/replace for the instance name, before saving the reports back down again.

Very manual, but it proved less frustrating....just mundane.....you'd think IBM would have provided an easy way of doing this.

Cheers
Ajay
Mithun.Mistry1103
OLAP Product: cognos
Version: 10.2.2
Excel Version: 2010

Post by Mithun.Mistry1103 »

Ajay.

Hope your well? The easiest way for this is to go to the data source within the connections in BI and change the details there. This would pinpoint you to the rigt source. But ensure the cube names are the same.

Mithun