macsir
MVP
OLAP Product: TM1
Version: PAL 2.0.9
Excel Version: Office 365

Subset not found in dimension

Post by macsir »

Hi, all
I am testing TI codes in PAW and running into "Subset not found in dimension" issue when executing at VIEWSUBSETASSIGN function.
Could anyone spot it for me? The view and subset have been created via this code successfully. It looks like TI can't bind the subset under the hierarchy into the view.

Code: Select all

#Section Prolog
#****Begin: Generated Statements***
#****End: Generated Statements****
vsCube = 'Coffee';
vsHier = 'Coffee Color';
vsViewName = 'temp';

vsSubName = vsViewName;

IF( VIEWEXISTS( vsCube, vsViewName ) = 1 );
  VIEWDESTROY( vsCube, vsViewName );
ENDIF;
VIEWCREATE( vsCube, vsViewName );

vsDimName = 'Coffee';
IF( HierarchySubsetExists( vsDimName, vsHier, vsSubName ) = 1 );
  HierarchySUBSETDESTROY( vsDimName, vsHier, vsSubName );
ENDIF;
HierarchySUBSETCREATE( vsDimName, vsHier, vsSubName);

HierarchySUBSETELEMENTINSERT( vsDimName,  vsHier, vsSubName, 'Nescafe', 0 );
VIEWSUBSETASSIGN( vsCube, vsViewName, vsDimName, vsSubName );

DATASOURCETYPE = 'VIEW';
DATASOURCENAMEFORSERVER = vsCube;
DATASOURCENAMEFORCLIENT = vsCube;
DATASOURCECUBEVIEW = vsViewName;

#Section Metadata

#Section Data
ASCIIOutput( 'e:\temp\test.txt', vsCoffee, NumberToString( vnValue ) );

#Section Epilog
#****Begin: Generated Statements***
#****End: Generated Statements****
In TM1,the answer is always yes though sometimes with a but....
http://tm1sir.blogspot.com.au/
lotsaram
MVP
OLAP Product: TableManager1
Version: PA 2.0.x

Re: Subset not found in dimension

Post by lotsaram »

Are you using alternate hierarchies? If yes then you need to use ViewCreateByMDX as this is the only way to address hierarchies in a view as the traditional views are not hierarchy aware.

ViewCreate can only create a traditional view which can't see hierarchies. You either need to use the same named hierarchy only with the HierarchySubset functions or else just use the old Subset functions if you are using a trad view.
Please place all requests for help in a public thread. I will not answer PMs requesting assistance.
Wim Gielis
MVP
OLAP Product: TM1, Jedox
Version: PAL 2.0.9.18
Excel Version: Microsoft 365

Post by Wim Gielis »

Thanks Lotsaram.

In the case of alternative hierarchies in PAW, does this imply that with ViewCreateByMDX we need to write (difficult) MDX expressions ?

Help files on this function:
https://www.ibm.com/support/knowledgece ... bymdx.html
Best regards,

Wim Gielis

IBM Champion 2024
Excel Most Valuable Professional, 2011-2014
https://www.wimgielis.com ==> 121 TM1 articles and a lot of custom code
Newest blog article: Deleting elements quickly
lotsaram
MVP
OLAP Product: TableManager1
Version: PA 2.0.x

Post by lotsaram »

Wim Gielis wrote: Tue Oct 02, 2018 10:11 am Thanks Lotsaram.

In the case of alternative hierarchies in PAW, does this imply that with ViewCreateByMDX we need to write (difficult) MDX expressions ?

Help files on this function:
https://www.ibm.com/support/knowledgece ... bymdx.html
Your MDX might be complicated it might not ;)
Seem as almost all TM1 data is numeric and numeric data is by definition stored only at leaf intersections I think that traditional views is still what we are going to use for data processing 95% of the time. Where we might need to use MDX views as an exception are the cases where we want to filter on a value in an alternate hierarchy. There were a lot of issues with MDX views to start with in PA where they weren't usable for TI (not recognized by ViewExists, not being removed by ViewDestroy, not being able to be created as temporary, null suppression not working properly for TI, ...) but finally with 11.3 these all seem to be working. The one remaining thing where MDX views don't behave the same as trad views for TI is that ViewZeroOut doesn't work. (I'm not sure yet if IBM will claim this as a feature as opposed to a bug).

The thing to remember about the MDX views is that although we can use them for TI they are really implemented for user query views. Whereas in a trad view if you don't assign a subset to a dimension you get the implicit subset All for the dimension but for a MDX view if you don't address a dimension on rows, columns or in the where then it will be treated as if it was in the where with the value of the default member in the same named hierarchy. (and if the default_member isn't set in }hierarchyProperties then TM1 assumes it is the element with index value 1.)
Please place all requests for help in a public thread. I will not answer PMs requesting assistance.
macsir
MVP
OLAP Product: TM1
Version: PAL 2.0.9

Post by macsir »

Thanks, lotsaram for the detailed explanation. I am surprised that viewcreate is still not hierarchy aware at the moment since IBM implemented the hierarchy as a important feature. But anyway, as you said, ViewCreateByMDX still gives us lots of flexibility. I am interested to test this bit also.
In TM1,the answer is always yes though sometimes with a but....
http://tm1sir.blogspot.com.au/