mce
Community Contributor
OLAP Product: Cognos TM1
Version: Planning Analytics Local 2.0.x
Excel Version: 2013 2016

Cannot Open Application URL Entries in TM1Web

Post by mce »

Hello,

Unforetunately URL Entries under Application Folders do not work in TM1Web in PAL 2.0.x.
To be more spesific, URLs with TM1Web URL API adresses do not work in TM1Web.
https://www-01.ibm.com/support/entdocvi ... wg1PH01631 is the APAR for this issue.
Hope this can be fixed in the upcoming release.

Regards,
paulsimon
MVP
OLAP Product: TM1
Version: PA 2.0.5
Excel Version: 2016

Re: Cannot Open Application URL Entries in TM1Web

Post by paulsimon »

Hi

I am curious as to why would you want to open a Web Sheet that is in a TM1 Application folder via the URL API? It is much easier and more reliable to do it from an Action Button.

Are you aware that IBM changed the URL API from 10.1? Although as you are already on 10.2 if it is working there then you should have the right version of the URL API.

Check your URL carefully as it is now case sensitive.

We have a few legacy situations where we open websheets from Cognos BI. We were certainly able to open the web sheet. Still having problems passing parameters in the S-R-C format but the web sheet does open.

I would try pasting the URL that you are using directly into Internet Explorer to see if it does work. If not then there may be more of an issue with the URL than with TM1 Web.

You can also try using the Hyperlink function in Excel.

Regards

Paul Simon
mce
Community Contributor

Post by mce »

paulsimon wrote: Fri Sep 28, 2018 6:57 pm I am curious as to why would you want to open a Web Sheet that is in a TM1 Application folder via the URL API? It is much easier and more reliable to do it from an Action Button.
Under TM1 application folders, I have many folders for many different applications and I need to open the same websheet under each of those applications but with different context element selected in the websheet. I do not want to keep creating many many different websheets for just clicking a button, rather I want to use URL API with which I can open the same websheet with different parameters for different context elements. Hence URL shortcut feature of TM1 helps a lot when I use Architect and Perspectives as it opens up the websheet with different context as expected. But this does not work when I click the URL item in TM1web.

paulsimon wrote: Fri Sep 28, 2018 6:57 pm Are you aware that IBM changed the URL API from 10.1? Although as you are already on 10.2 if it is working there then you should have the right version of the URL API.
Yes. But my version is already PAL 2.0.3.
paulsimon wrote: Fri Sep 28, 2018 6:57 pm Check your URL carefully as it is now case sensitive.
Nothing to do with case sensitivity. It works all ok when clicked from Architect or Perspectives.
paulsimon wrote: Fri Sep 28, 2018 6:57 pm We have a few legacy situations where we open websheets from Cognos BI. We were certainly able to open the web sheet. Still having problems passing parameters in the S-R-C format but the web sheet does open.
We use URL API quite heavily. We use it within websheets and also with Cognos BI. It is very helpful.
paulsimon wrote: Fri Sep 28, 2018 6:57 pm I would try pasting the URL that you are using directly into Internet Explorer to see if it does work. If not then there may be more of an issue with the URL than with TM1 Web.
As you can see in the URL I provided above, IBM has already accepted this as a defect. URL works ok by itself when used in a browser and when URL item under TM1 applications folder is clicked from Architect or Perspectives. But it does not work when clicked from TM1Web if it is a URL API address.

Regards.
paulsimon
MVP

Post by paulsimon »

Hi mce

I was trying to help. Unfortunately your question was not very clear. I did try following the link that you gave but got a message from the IBM web site to say that it was invalid.

If I understand you correctly, what you are saying is that you can launch a web sheet via the URL API from TM1 Web but that it is not passing parameters correctly? If so then we both have the same problem. Are you using the Sheet Row Column method to pass the parameters or the dimension based passing method?

I am surprised that given that PA has been out for some time now, that this bug has only just come to light.

Regards

Paul Simon
paulsimon
MVP

Post by paulsimon »

Hi

Just to let you know that we have been able to open a TM1 Web Sheet via the URL API in PA 2.0.5 and pass parameters using the Sheet-Row-Column approach. The issue that we had was related to Cognos BI variables rather than the URL API. When we hard-coded in the Entity that we wanted to pass, it was passed the Entity across successfully. We just could not get it to evaluate the BI Variable correctly. One of the issues that we found was that the original design of the BI Report used an IFrame and embedded the code to call the TM1 URL API in that. However, IFrames are apparently no longer supported. We did try other mechanisms based on HTML objects and those did not work either. However, we are predominantly a TM1 rather than a BI shop so it is likely that we just had an error in the BI Report.

Anyway for the moment we have worked around the issue by exporting the data that we need from TM1 to SQL at the time that the user submits their data in TM1, rather than the previous approach of embedding a WebSheet in a BI Report which just had an Action Button that triggered a TI process to write out the data, so the 'work around' actually gives a better solution as it is all TM1 based. For our purposes, this is the last remaining piece of BI that we have calling a TM1 Web sheet, so changing the design a little has removed the need to get BI to call the TM1 Web URL API.

We do have TM1 Web Sheets that launch Views and pass title element selections via the URL API using the HYPERLINK function, and those seem to be working fine once we adapted the sheets for the differences between the 10.1 and PA TM1 Web URL APIs.

We don't have any cases where TM1 Web Sheets launch TM1 Web Sheets via the URL API. This is always done using an Action Button.

Regards

Paul Simon
mce
Community Contributor

Post by mce »

paulsimon wrote: Sun Sep 30, 2018 9:06 am I was trying to help. Unfortunately your question was not very clear. I did try following the link that you gave but got a message from the IBM web site to say that it was invalid.
The link works for me after I enter my IBM ID. For those who cannot open the APAR link, below is content of the IBM APAR page:

Code: Select all

PH01631: CAN´T OPEN URLS FROM THE SAME SERVER IN TM1 WEB
APAR status
OPEN
Error description
A URL to a websheet in an application folder cannot be opened in
TM1 Web. Apparently all URLs that start with the servername of
the TM1 Application Server cannot be opened.
Instead of opening the link, the FileDownloadServlet routine is
invoked.
Local fix
Problem summary
Problem conclusion
Temporary fix
Comments
APAR Information
APAR numberPH01631
Reported component namePA TM1 SERVER
Reported component ID5737B03SE
Reported release204
StatusOPEN
PENoPE
HIPERNoHIPER
Special AttentionNoSpecatt / Xsystem
Submitted date2018-08-13
Closed date
Last modified date2018-08-27
APAR is sysrouted FROM one or more of the following:
APAR is sysrouted TO one or more of the following:
Fix information
mce
Community Contributor

Post by mce »

paulsimon wrote: Sun Sep 30, 2018 9:06 am If I understand you correctly, what you are saying is that you can launch a web sheet via the URL API from TM1 Web but that it is not passing parameters correctly?
No, this is not the problem. URL API works ok, expept if it is invoked from an TM1 Application Folder URL object via TM1Web.

It works when clicked from Architect or Perspectives:
TM1ArchitectScreen.JPG
TM1ArchitectScreen.JPG (14.17 KiB) Viewed 5890 times
It does not work when clicked from TM1Web:
TM1WebScreenshot.JPG
TM1WebScreenshot.JPG (12.74 KiB) Viewed 5890 times
Hope it is clear.
aish123
OLAP Product: Tm1, Cognos
Version: Planning Analytics 2.0
Excel Version: Excel 2013

Post by aish123 »

@mce,

In this case, it identifies url as a file and so its displayed as binary.
I faced the same issue where the link works fine in Architect,Perspectives but doesn't work from Tm1web
I changed the url format from 1 to 2 and then it works from TM1web (Planning analytics 2.0)

1)http://servername.domainname/ibmcognos/ ... load=false

2) http://servername.domainname:80/ibmcogn ... load=false
mce
Community Contributor

Post by mce »

mce wrote: Sat Oct 06, 2018 12:30 am URL API works ok, expept if it is invoked from an TM1 Application Folder URL object via TM1Web.

It works when clicked from Architect or Perspectives:
TM1ArchitectScreen.JPG

It does not work when clicked from TM1Web:
TM1WebScreenshot.JPG

Hope it is clear.
I can see that this issue has been resolved in PA 2.0.7.