Creating subsets in Workspace

PavoGa
MVP
OLAP Product: TM1
Version: 10.2.2 FP7, PA2.0.9.1
Excel Version: 2013 PAW

Creating subsets in Workspace

Post by PavoGa »

I may be missing something, but there does not appear to be a subset editor functionality for a dimension/hierarchy within Workspace IF the dimension does not belong to a cube.

Is that correct and subsets for these dimensions must be created either through a TI or through the subset editor in Architect?
Ty
Cleveland, TN
Wim Gielis
MVP
OLAP Product: TM1, Jedox
Version: PAL 2.0.9.18
Excel Version: Microsoft 365

Re: Creating subsets in Workspace

Post by Wim Gielis »

Or, put the dimension in a temporary cube and afterwards you throw away the cube.
Best regards,

Wim Gielis

IBM Champion 2024
Excel Most Valuable Professional, 2011-2014
https://www.wimgielis.com ==> 121 TM1 articles and a lot of custom code
Newest blog article: Deleting elements quickly
macsir
MVP
Version: PAL 2.0.9
Excel Version: Office 365

Post by macsir »

Even worse, even if a dimension belongs to a cube, but if you drag the dimension only into the workspace, you still can't open subset editor from there. I guess the purpose of this is to encourage you to utilize hierarchy rather than subset in the future. Am I right? :?
In TM1,the answer is always yes though sometimes with a but....
http://tm1sir.blogspot.com.au/
lotsaram
MVP
OLAP Product: TableManager1
Version: PA 2.0.x

Post by lotsaram »

PavoGa wrote: Thu Sep 06, 2018 4:16 pm I may be missing something, but there does not appear to be a subset editor functionality for a dimension/hierarchy within Workspace IF the dimension does not belong to a cube.

Is that correct and subsets for these dimensions must be created either through a TI or through the subset editor in Architect?
It's not just if the dimension belongs to a cube but also the dimension must have attributes. (Until either 2.0.3 or 2.0.4 the rest API didn't support a MDX member set query only data query so the subset editor was actually driven by queries to the ElementAttributes cube).
That you can't have a subset editor without a cube is down to the way they built workspace as it is centered around the idea of a canvas with slices of data. It kind of makes sense as in Workspace you can't actually do anything with a subset that isn't used in a view. You can however drag a filter to a separate area and link it to multiple views.
Please place all requests for help in a public thread. I will not answer PMs requesting assistance.
lotsaram
MVP
OLAP Product: TableManager1
Version: PA 2.0.x

Post by lotsaram »

macsir wrote: Thu Sep 06, 2018 9:57 pm Even worse, even if a dimension belongs to a cube, but if you drag the dimension only into the workspace, you still can't open subset editor from there. I guess the purpose of this is to encourage you to utilize hierarchy rather than subset in the future. Am I right? :?
I think maybe you are getting confused in the terminology. Basically hierarchies are what dimensions were. And subsets now belong to hierarchies not dimensions. You can see this too if you drill down on a dimension in Workspace you see that each hierarchy has its own levels and its own subsets.

Subsets are still central, they just belong to hierarchies now.
Please place all requests for help in a public thread. I will not answer PMs requesting assistance.
PavoGa
MVP
Version: 10.2.2 FP7, PA2.0.9.1
Excel Version: 2013 PAW

Post by PavoGa »

Thanks all.

This was related to a dimension being used as a picklist and I was wanting to control some items through an MDX subset. For example, a picklist that contracts as elements are assigned in a mapping cube.

Thanks again for the responses.
Ty
Cleveland, TN
macsir
MVP
Version: PAL 2.0.9

Post by macsir »

lotsaram wrote: Fri Sep 07, 2018 8:16 am
macsir wrote: Thu Sep 06, 2018 9:57 pm Even worse, even if a dimension belongs to a cube, but if you drag the dimension only into the workspace, you still can't open subset editor from there. I guess the purpose of this is to encourage you to utilize hierarchy rather than subset in the future. Am I right? :?
I think maybe you are getting confused in the terminology. Basically hierarchies are what dimensions were. And subsets now belong to hierarchies not dimensions. You can see this too if you drill down on a dimension in Workspace you see that each hierarchy has its own levels and its own subsets.

Subsets are still central, they just belong to hierarchies now.
Yes, you are right. Thanks.
In TM1,the answer is always yes though sometimes with a but....
http://tm1sir.blogspot.com.au/