PAW - Attribute hierarchies, Element Security

RSK
OLAP Product: TM1 10.1.1
Version: TM1 10.1.1
Excel Version: 2010

PAW - Attribute hierarchies, Element Security

Post by RSK »

I have a process which rebuilds attribute hierarchies overnight for 3 dimensions in my model.

HierarchyDestroy('DimName', 'AttributeName');
CreateHierarchyByAttribute('DimName', 'AttributeName');

What I am finding is, when the attribute hierarchy is created the default security against those elements will come through as NONE, therefore only an Admin can see the full 3 level structure (All Attribute Member -> Attribute element ->Child element). End users can only see the child elements they have access to.

Security for the attribute hierarchy element can be set manually via workspace, using the edit hierarchy -> Switch to member security mode option. However when the attribute hierarchy is rebuilt overnight the security gets cleared out.

Therefore, what I am looking to do is either write a security rule or a TI process to populate the element security for the attribute hierarchy. Is it possible to reference and ELLEV function against and attribute hierarchy element or use a cellputs against a attribute hierarchy element baring in mind they are not viable in architect?

Thanks in advance.
lotsaram
MVP
OLAP Product: TableManager1
Version: PA 2.0.x
Excel Version: Office 365

Re: PAW - Attribute hierarchies, Element Security

Post by lotsaram »

Yes if you are using HierarchyDestroy and you have element security then if you re-create the hierarchy then the security for the hierarchy will be NONE for all elements, all groups. This is another reason why CreateHierarchyByAttribute is not really suitable for a production system on a chnaging dimension. If attribute values can't change once assigned then you could just use HierarchyElementComponentAdd in your nightly process. If attribute values can change then you would be better off unwinding the hierarchy and then rebuilding it by processing the leaf elements and using HierarchyElementComponentAdd just like you would for any other rollup. (This will also give you more control over what to do with blank values, adding intermediate levels, etc.)
Please place all requests for help in a public thread. I will not answer PMs requesting assistance.
RSK
OLAP Product: TM1 10.1.1
Version: TM1 10.1.1
Excel Version: 2010

Re: PAW - Attribute hierarchies, Element Security

Post by RSK »

Thanks for your input.

I stumbled across a TI function called HierarchyElementSecurityPut which will allow me to populate the element security how I needed.