PAW New Install Issue

ctang
OLAP Product: TM1
Version: TM1 10.2.2
Excel Version: Excel 2013 64 bit

PAW New Install Issue

Post by ctang »

Hello All,

This forum has been very helpful in the past, so I am wondering if anyone has seen this issue with installing PAW.

I am looking to upgrade my TM1 installation from 10.2.2 to Planning Analytics 2.0. I am testing the installation on a laptop running Windows 10 Pro before setting up a new server for it. I have the basic TM1 components installed and Perspectives is working in Excel.

I would like to test PAx and, as far as I can tell, I need to install Planning Analytics Workspace 2.0.5 in order to use PAx. Since this is on Windows 10 (not Server), I have installed Docker before the PAW install. When running the Start.bat file, I receive the following error:

____

Creating the virtual machine 'paw', this may take a few minutes...
Looks like something went wrong in step "Copying bootlocal.sh"...
Check the log file <path to log file>...
Press Enter to exit...
____

Here is the text from the log file:

Running pre-create checks...
Creating machine...
(paw) Copying C:\Users\Test\.docker\machine\cache\boot2docker.iso to C:\Users\Test\.docker\machine\machines\paw\boot2docker.iso...
(paw) Creating VirtualBox VM...
(paw) Creating SSH key...
(paw) Starting the VM...
(paw) Check network to re-create if needed...
(paw) Windows might ask for the permission to configure a dhcp server. Sometimes, such confirmation window is minimized in the taskbar.
(paw) Waiting for an IP...
Waiting for machine to be running, this may take a few minutes...
Detecting operating system of created instance...
Waiting for SSH to be available...
Detecting the provisioner...
Provisioning with boot2docker...
Copying certs to the local machine directory...
Copying certs to the remote machine...
Setting Docker configuration on the remote daemon...
Checking connection to Docker...
Docker is up and running!
To see how to connect your Docker Client to the Docker Engine running on this virtual machine, run: C:\Program Files\Docker Toolbox\docker-machine.exe env paw
ssh: connect to host 127.0.0.1 port 22: Connection refused
lost connection
exit status 1

I have tried turning off the firewall, but it did not help. Any ideas?

Thank you so much,

Charlotte
ctang
Version: TM1 10.2.2
Excel Version: Excel 2013 64 bit

Re: PAW New Install Issue

Post by ctang »

I should have mentioned the my Windows 10 Pro is 64 bit.
wheeler6
OLAP Product: Cognos TM1
Version: 10.2.2 Fix Pack 5
Excel Version: 2010 32 bit

Post by wheeler6 »

Installing PAW has been the biggest headache every time around. I am not sure if you can really do it on a personal computer with Windows 10. You may need to look in the backend or do some research if you are able to create virual machines within windows 10 on your computer.

Also, make sure you are running the .bat file as an administrator. Make sure you read the "readme.txt" file and download the appropriate files that need to go into the docker folder. You have to have docker installed first before you run the start.bat file as well.
thomaskday
OLAP Product: TM1 / Planning Analytics Local
Version: PA2 Local 2.0910, PAW 2.074
Excel Version: 2016 and 365

Post by thomaskday »

As wheeler6 has said, PAW is a right royal PITA, at EVERY turn. Whilst TM1 Server can run on Windows 10, I suspect you will have issues with Windows 10 and PAW.

I ended up going down the Hyper-V path with Windows Server 2016 Standard VM running on Windows 10 Pro laptop (host). Whilst Windows 2016 Standard Hyper-V runs with a light memory footprint, once you spin up PAW (Docker-based) your VM will jump up from 4-5gb to around 15+gb even for a clean skin PAW environment. My laptop has 32gb RAM so it is not an issue for me.

Note it needs to be Windows Server 2016 Standard, as Docker does not {yet} support Windows Server 2016 Essentials :-(

Good Luck Charlotte.
dr.nybble
MVP
Version: 10.2.2
Excel Version: Excel 2007

Post by dr.nybble »

Sadly, Docker has shipped the latest Docker Toolbox with some defects, including port forwarding around SSH.

Use this version it is good:

https://github.com/docker/toolbox/relea ... 17.06.2-ce
conflax
Version: Various
Excel Version: Various

Post by conflax »

Hi,

I've had exactly the same bootlocal error a few times installing PAW, as dr.nybble says it is to do with the latest version of Docker Toolbox but I had to go back to a much older version, v.1.12.5, to get it to install correctly - but after that it was fine.

I have installed PAW a few times now both directly on a Windows 10 PC and running a VM with Server 2016. As others have said, it is an utter PITA everytime, but it is possible.

the main issues I found with the local Win10 install were around IP Address conflicts for which I found some help here : https://www.ibm.com/support/knowledgece ... stall.html

I also had to set the IPAddressV4 setting in the TM1s.CFG file before PAW could connect to any of my locally installed TM1 Servers
sunlight
Version: PA 2.0
Excel Version: Office 365

Post by sunlight »

dr.nybble wrote: Thu Aug 02, 2018 12:41 pm Sadly, Docker has shipped the latest Docker Toolbox with some defects, including port forwarding around SSH.

Use this version it is good:

https://github.com/docker/toolbox/relea ... 17.06.2-ce
Thanks for this hint!

I made a 25 Min summary video on PAW installation on Windows 10 Pro:
https://youtu.be/-7q1lUG67aA
OmarAmjad
OLAP Product: IBM Planning Analytics
Version: 2.0.7
Excel Version: 2016

Post by OmarAmjad »

I am facing the same issue as Charlotte.

I have installed Docker Toolbox 17.06.2-ce since it has been suggested over internet that it works well. I have followed the 25min video run-through posted by sunlight on this topic and have carried out those steps as well.

But still whenever I run the paw "start.bat" file, it creates a VM named as "paw" on my VirtualBox and as soon as it gets set up, it automatically shuts down and removes itself from the VMs list. Meanwhile, the command prompt just shows the message "Creating the virtual machine 'paw', this may take a few minutes..." and does not throw the error. I checked the file in logs folder and it gives the same error stated by Charlotte.

I am running Windows 10 pro OS and the Planning Analytics Workspace version is 2.0.7. TM1 Architect and Performance Modeler works fine for me. I just cannot get the installation of Workspace done due to this error.

Any sort of help would be appreciated.

Thanks