Benefits of REST API over native TM1py/TM1JavaApi

fabulousMuch
OLAP Product: TM1
Version: 10.2.2.
Excel Version: 2016

Benefits of REST API over native TM1py/TM1JavaApi

Post by fabulousMuch »

I am working with cognos TM1 10.2.2. and I am currently working with its API.
Now my question are there any benefits from working with TM1 REST API (using HTTP requests and working with JSON) over using native packages/API's like TM1py or TM1JavaApi?
Note that I am currently developing an application in Java using TM1JavaApi, but anytime I get stuck google gives me a lot of feedback of people using REST and oData querying, so I am afraid that I am missing on some functionalities or capabilities that are available if using REST API over the native ones (I am asking this because my application will get only more complex and if I cannot get the same amount of data from TM1JavaApi I will be forced to switch to REST).

Thank you for your time and have a great day :D
David Usherwood
Site Admin

Re: Benefits of REST API over native TM1py/TM1JavaApi

Post by David Usherwood »

To quote from the TM1PY page:
By wrapping the IBM Planning Analytics (TM1) REST API in a concise Python framework, TM1py facilitates Python developments for TM1.
So, by using TM1PY, you are using the Rest API - just wrapped in a more manageable package.
I'm a fan of TM1PY and think Mariusz has done a sterling job and keeps updating it (last update 26 June 2018). The larger the developer community the better the package will become.
fabulousMuch
Version: 10.2.2.
Excel Version: 2016

Post by fabulousMuch »

I am not too familiar with the TM1py, but I assumed it works similar to TM1JavaApi.
I heard it has a great community, so I was actually thinking of switching to TM1py. Do you, by any chance, have any insight into TM1JavaApi and its functionalities in comparison to TM1py?
macsir
MVP
Version: PAL 2.0.9
Excel Version: Office 365

Post by macsir »

REST API is the way to go. Those old .net or java native api are obsolete.
In TM1,the answer is always yes though sometimes with a but....
http://tm1sir.blogspot.com.au/