more generic style for rule area

st2000
OLAP Product: TM1 (Windows) & SSAS 2014 Ent.
Version: 10.2.0 FP3
Excel Version: Excel 2013

more generic style for rule area

Post by st2000 »

Hello all,

I wrote a rule to set an indicator for changed values in spite of distributing those along their children (a handmade spreading function, finally).
I use the concept to have a N-element outside of the main hierarchy for each C-element I want to be able to be a starting point of this spreading.
TM1Forum_1.jpg
TM1Forum_1.jpg (127.61 KiB) Viewed 1853 times
TM1Forum_2.jpg
TM1Forum_2.jpg (48.95 KiB) Viewed 1853 times
The dimension ValueType makes up 3 layers (value: the working layer, change: layer to set flags in spite of deriving a view as small as possible to perform the spreads later, difference: points out the amounts to spread on a flagged C-element to support the spreading later).

For example the Element 8 got a new target value (Element 8_deltaelement to take the value ad interim, bound to its original C-element via an attribute 'deltaelement'): 140/green instead of 120/blue = Changed:1 => Difference=20

My (working) rule for a first testscenario to make BedrockTestDim4 (depicted above) spreadable:

Code: Select all

Skipcheck;
['Changed',{'BedrockTestDim4':'All','Element 1','Element 2','Element 3','Element 4','Element 8'}] 
	= C:IF(DB('RuxCube2','Value',!BedrockTestDim1,!BedrockTestDim2,!BedrockTestDim3,ATTRS('BedrockTestDim4',!BedrockTestDim4 ,'Deltaelement'),!Measures)=0,0,1);

['Difference', {'BedrockTestDim4':'All','Element 1','Element 2','Element 3','Element 4','Element 8'}] 
	= C:(DB('RuxCube2','Value',!BedrockTestDim1,!BedrockTestDim2 ,!BedrockTestDim3 ,ATTRS('BedrockTestDim4' , !BedrockTestDim4 , 'Deltaelement'),!Measures) 
	- DB('RuxCube2','Value',!BedrockTestDim1,!BedrockTestDim2,!BedrockTestDim3,!BedrockTestDim4,!Measures) ) 
	*  ['Changed'];

Feeders;
['Value'] => ['Difference'];
['Value'] => ['Changed'];
['Changed'] => ['Difference'];
My question about that: Did I oversee a more generic way to achieve adressing the C-elements which are actually named in the area definitions between the curly brackets? Here I have only 6 C-elements, but I doubt how this solution could carry even a system having hundreds of c-elements in a real world application. Is this best practice?
Is it a good style to keep the feeder statements such generic, or should I better narrow them also by a subset expansion?

Any hint is highly appreciated as I hope that I could avoid upcoming rules making real experts getting crazy on first notice... :oops:
-----------------------------------
Best regards,
Stefan
declanr
MVP
OLAP Product: Cognos TM1
Version: PA2.0 and most of the old ones
Excel Version: All of em

Re: more generic style for rule area

Post by declanr »

In terms of not having to manually enter element names on the LHS of your rule Inwould just have an if statement that says if the attribute is blank then continue else do what you need it to do.
In terms of feeders and the actual rule it would largely be dependent on the real world application and what’s likely to be populated/required etc.
Declan Rodger