PAW / PAX performance discussion

Robster
OLAP Product: TM1
Version: 10.2.2
Excel Version: 2013

PAW / PAX performance discussion

Post by Robster »

Hello,

I’m wondering what other people have experienced related to Planning Analytics Workspace & PAX performance at a production environment. I’ve installed PAW and PAX on a couple of customer systems and I noticed that PAX works really well. Large data sheets calculate much faster and the interface of PAX compared to Perspectives is much better looking.

My experience with Workspace is less positive. I noticed that opening large cube views on the canvas results in slow performance. This was also noticeable in dragging objects over the canvas which displays significant input lag.

Do you have any positive or negative experience with PAW/PAX?
I was also wondering if someone knows what is causing good/bad performance while using PAW. I reckon it depends a lot on network speed.

Thanks in advance.
daniel.havassy
OLAP Product: Planning Analytics Local
Version: 2.0.4
Excel Version: 2016

Re: PAW / PAX performance discussion

Post by daniel.havassy »

What kind of a setup are you using? I found running PAW on a dedicated Linux machine (i.e. running it natively without virtualization like on Windows) that has enough hardware resources really helps.
Robster

Post by Robster »

I use different kinds of set-ups for different clients. Most installations are implemented on a Windows Server 2016 nowadays. I haven't tried a linux installation just yet. I believe the WS2016 also doesn't virtualize since it has native support for Docker.

I encounter performance issues when I start dragging views over the canvas. The input lag is very noticeable when the system responds 3 seconds later. There is also a delay when selecting different cells in a view, altough this is a lot less jarring than dragging views.
Steve Rowe
Site Admin
Version: TM1 v6,v7,v8,v9,v10,v11+PAW
Excel Version: Nearly all of them

Post by Steve Rowe »

Hi Robster,

I've noticed the lag in dragging panes as well. Can I ask if you are using PAW through a RDP session connecting to a remote location? I have found that this seems to be the main contribution to the lag rather than PAW itself?

Cheers,
Technical Director
www.infocat.co.uk
dr.nybble
MVP
Excel Version: Excel 2007

Post by dr.nybble »

You should see a substantial improvement in performance of PAW grids in version 33. We have built a new efficient grid renderer. This will be most apparent in IE 11. For instance, dragging a grid goes from < 1 FPS to 60 FPS in IE 11.
Steve Rowe
Site Admin
Version: TM1 v6,v7,v8,v9,v10,v11+PAW
Excel Version: Nearly all of them

Post by Steve Rowe »

Excellent, great news!
Technical Director
www.infocat.co.uk
Robster

Post by Robster »

Steve Rowe wrote: Fri Jun 01, 2018 8:30 am Hi Robster,

I've noticed the lag in dragging panes as well. Can I ask if you are using PAW through a RDP session connecting to a remote location? I have found that this seems to be the main contribution to the lag rather than PAW itself?

Cheers,
Hello Steve,

Yes, I use a RDP connection to access PAW. However, a year ago at a different client we encountered the same issue without RDP connection. This was an early version (2.0) of PAW though.
dr.nybble wrote: Fri Jun 01, 2018 1:57 pm You should see a substantial improvement in performance of PAW grids in version 33. We have built a new efficient grid renderer. This will be most apparent in IE 11. For instance, dragging a grid goes from < 1 FPS to 60 FPS in IE 11.
That sounds excellent. However, what is this version 33 you are reffering to? Is it the next update to PAW?
Andy
OLAP Product: Planning Analytics
Version: 2.05
Excel Version: 2007

Post by Andy »

I have performance issues with PAx. And then with bij sheets.
Recalculating takes very long and the memory increases to more then 1 GB. Then I am cancelling it.
I only get results with the quick report and the custom report. But I want to recreate it automatically (also the rows).

Does anybody has ideas how to tweak it?

The sheet has round 2500 rows and about 200 columns.

Every help/tip/idea is welcome.