orlando
Community Contributor
OLAP Product: TM1
Version: PAL 2.0.8
Excel Version: Office 365

PA: Multiple web instance

Post by orlando »

Hello,

with TM1 10.2 it was very easy to create a second TM web instance (copy the war rename it, tomcat extract the war, make settings, restart tomcat- done).

With Planning Analytics and webphere this doesn't work.
Even Copy the TM1Web Folder in WebApps,rename and restart does not work.

Does anaybody has an idea/link/approach how to set up a second or third web instance with planning analytics?

Regards
orlando
lotsaram
MVP
OLAP Product: TableManager1
Version: PA 2.0.x

Re: PA: Multiple web instance

Post by lotsaram »

Good question. Especially when it comes to load balancing or failover of larger applications. No doubt it is "easy" if you happen to be a websphere expert. But then most of us aren't!
Please place all requests for help in a public thread. I will not answer PMs requesting assistance.
daniel.havassy
OLAP Product: Planning Analytics Local
Version: 2.0.4
Excel Version: 2016

Post by daniel.havassy »

Hi,

the following has worked for me:

There is a Websphere related config file that you need to locate and amend with the designated parameters.

TM1_installation_location\tm1_64\wlp\usr\servers\tm1\server.xml

Within the xml file, edit the application node (duplicate it for each tm1web instance and change the property values). For example if you've had a separate tm1web instance for a regional application it could look like this:

<application id="apac" location="${wlp.user.dir}/../../webapps/apac" name="apac" type="war" context-root="apac"/>

Let me know if it helps.
orlando
Community Contributor

Post by orlando »

daniel.havassy wrote: Wed May 23, 2018 11:28 am Hi,

There is a Websphere related config file that you need to locate and amend with the designated parameters.

Within the xml file, edit the application node (duplicate it for each tm1web instance and change the property values). For example if you've had a separate tm1web instance for a regional application it could look like this:

<application id="apac" location="${wlp.user.dir}/../../webapps/apac" name="apac" type="war" context-root="apac"/>

Let me know if it helps.
hi daniel,

thanks a lot. I will try it on friday (hopefully as a good start into the weekend) and let you know how it worked.

best regards
orlando
orlando
Community Contributor

Post by orlando »

daniel.havassy wrote: Wed May 23, 2018 11:28 am Hi,

Let me know if it helps.
Hi Daniel,

this is working perfect. Thanks a lot!

Best regards,
orlando
macsir
MVP
Version: PAL 2.0.9

Post by macsir »

Just out of curiosity, what is the general use to have multiple web instance?
In TM1,the answer is always yes though sometimes with a but....
http://tm1sir.blogspot.com.au/
orlando
Community Contributor

Post by orlando »

macsir wrote: Fri Jun 01, 2018 4:10 am Just out of curiosity, what is the general use to have multiple web instance?
i like to have one instance just for me for testing, playing etc...
it's more easy for the user to get one or two links without a drop down list to choose the tm1 database from (because they can't remeber the name)
JamiseBondi
Version: 2.0

Post by JamiseBondi »

orlando wrote: Tue May 22, 2018 12:49 pm Hello,

with TM1 10.2 it was very easy to create a second TM web instance (copy the war rename it, tomcat extract the war, make settings, restart tomcat- done).

With Planning Analytics and webphere this doesn't work.
Even Copy the TM1Web Folder in WebApps,rename and restart does not work.

Does anaybody has an idea/link/approach how to set up a second or third web instance with planning analytics?

Regards
orlando
Hi Orlando,

This is a great idea and I'd really like to know more about the actual changes you made when you say "tomcat extract the war, make settings....". Could you please elaborate/explain what steps you took to get this working? We have multiple instances running through a single web process (tm1web) and I'd like to split it out so that we have a separate web process for each instance.

What I did as a minimum is to copy the "tm1web" folder (located under ...IBM\cognos\tm1_64\webapps) and renamed it to "tm1webtest1". Then edited the tm1web_config.xml file within the configuration folder as well as the common server.xml file per Daniel's suggestion and I can now browse a particular instance "test1" using a unique URL: http://appserver.domain.com:9510/tm1webtest1/

This much works, but even if I did this for instances from test 1 to test5 and navigated to all 5 instances using different URL's, when I look at the task manager on the web server, I still see a single java.exe process that I assume is responsible for serving all the web requests. I'd like to have a separate java process for each web process.... why? Because when a workbook crashes the web in one instance, it doesn't affect the other web sessions/instances/users.
orlando
Community Contributor

Post by orlando »

JamiseBondi wrote: Wed Jan 30, 2019 8:51 am
This much works, but even if I did this for instances from test 1 to test5 and navigated to all 5 instances using different URL's, when I look at the task manager on the web server, I still see a single java.exe process that I assume is responsible for serving all the web requests. I'd like to have a separate java process for each web process.... why? Because when a workbook crashes the web in one instance, it doesn't affect the other web sessions/instances/users.
Hi JB,

in that case you need a second (third, fourth,fifth...) installation of websphere (or tomcat - when older TM1). One installation alway runs with one process (so my understanding).
I have never done that, but i think with a little research it is possible.

Best regards,

orlando