Wim Gielis
MVP
OLAP Product: TM1, Jedox
Version: PAL 2.0.9.18
Excel Version: Microsoft 365

TM1 service restart times

Post by Wim Gielis »

Hello all,

I have a question regarding the restart of a TM1 model. In a certain TM1 model (TM1 10.2.2 FP4) I recently did a restart of the model by going to Task Manager, kill the TM1 process, and start the service again in the Services panel. It took 3.5 hours before the service was ready and the model was ready for the users. In the logs, I've seen 1 or 2 earlier cases ofv such 'long' restarts in the past 2 years or so.

However, there's a weekly backup as well, scheduled through Task Manager to run every Sunday morning. It takes about 20-22 minutes, consistently, and the full model is ready again (as confirmed in the message log). The job runs a batch script:

@ECHO OFF

SET SERVICE=blahblahblah

( SC STOP %SERVICE% && SC start %SERVICE% ) || ( TIMEOUT /T 3600 /NOBREAK && SC start %SERVICE% )

Before going into the logs and comparing them, what might be causing this huge difference ? In cases of an unexpected restart during business hours, this is critical !

Thanks a lot for your insights and enjoy the Easter break !
Best regards,

Wim Gielis

IBM Champion 2024
Excel Most Valuable Professional, 2011-2014
https://www.wimgielis.com ==> 121 TM1 articles and a lot of custom code
Newest blog article: Deleting elements quickly
declanr
MVP
OLAP Product: Cognos TM1
Version: PA2.0 and most of the old ones
Excel Version: All of em

Re: TM1 service restart times

Post by declanr »

Haven’t seen this in a while but the transaction logs used to be a big culprit of this.
Obviously when a server goes down unexpectedly it may not have saved transactions to disk so when it starts back up it searches through the transaction logs - if you have some beastly files in there it can take a long time. If I do something stupid like creating an eternal loop and need to kill a dev server I always delete/move the logs just in case.
Declan Rodger
Wim Gielis
MVP
OLAP Product: TM1, Jedox
Version: PAL 2.0.9.18
Excel Version: Microsoft 365

Re: TM1 service restart times

Post by Wim Gielis »

Thank you Declan.
Best regards,

Wim Gielis

IBM Champion 2024