How to add validation error message for users?

amit_hhh
OLAP Product: Cognos TM1
Version: 10.2.2, 11
Excel Version: Excel2010

How to add validation error message for users?

Post by amit_hhh »

Hello,
I have 2 dimensions which are used in different cubes to build model, let's name them A & B. The elements of these dimensions are selected through TM1 web when users are doing planning. I have to implement a logic in such a way that while selecting the elements, one element of dimension B can be selected only for one element of dimension A. It can not correspond to multiple elements of dimension A, however one element of dimension A can correspond to multiple elements of dimension B. It's like one to many relationship. How can I implement this logic. Currently there is no look up cube in the system where such mapping exists, and I do not want to add any more cube in the system. Please suggest.
Regards,
Amit Saxena
India
lotsaram
MVP
OLAP Product: TableManager1
Version: PA 2.0.x
Excel Version: Office 365

Re: How to add validation error message for users?

Post by lotsaram »

amit_hhh wrote: Sun Mar 18, 2018 2:57 am Hello,
I have 2 dimensions which are used in different cubes to build model, let's name them A & B. The elements of these dimensions are selected through TM1 web when users are doing planning. I have to implement a logic in such a way that while selecting the elements, one element of dimension B can be selected only for one element of dimension A. It can not correspond to multiple elements of dimension A, however one element of dimension A can correspond to multiple elements of dimension B. It's like one to many relationship. How can I implement this logic. Currently there is no look up cube in the system where such mapping exists, and I do not want to add any more cube in the system. Please suggest.
Then you are deliberately making life difficult for yourself for no good reason. The best way to handle this requirement is to have a mapping cube holding the valid intersections of A & B.
Please place all requests for help in a public thread. I will not answer PMs requesting assistance.
declanr
MVP
OLAP Product: Cognos TM1
Version: PA2.0 and most of the old ones
Excel Version: All of em

Post by declanr »

If the mapping will never change you can put an attribute on dimension B saying which element it maps to from A (this is really a mapping dive anyway) and/or you can have consolidations of element A in dim b but without really understanding the relationship of what these dims are it’s hard to say whether that is a good idea.
If the mapping will change between versions and/or periods then you will need a mapping cube.
Declan Rodger
Wim Gielis
MVP
OLAP Product: TM1, Jedox
Version: PAL 2.0.9.18
Excel Version: Microsoft 365

Post by Wim Gielis »

Wrong subforum, this is not an Enhancement.
Can a moderator move this thread please ?
Best regards,

Wim Gielis

IBM Champion 2024
Excel Most Valuable Professional, 2011-2014
https://www.wimgielis.com ==> 121 TM1 articles and a lot of custom code
Newest blog article: Deleting elements quickly