kenship
Regular Participant
OLAP Product: Cognos
Version: Planning Analytics 2.0.7
Excel Version: 2010

Feeder for cells with value based on rule

Post by kenship »

Hi,

I have a small cube with cells which their value is populated by a few rules.

How to write feeder for these cells that is not based on another cell?

or is it better to omit skipcheck and feeder?

Thanks.

Kenneth
gtonkin
MVP
OLAP Product: TM1
Version: Latest and greatest
Excel Version: Office 365 64-bit

Re: Feeder for cells with value based on rule

Post by gtonkin »

This would be a very rare case as generally the values being used in the calculation should be coming from an assumptions or driver cube which could then be used to feed the result.
I worked on a cube recently which had values for a probability of default per client rating band-15 maturity buckets needed to be derived using a formula.
I chose to load to probabilities into the cube alongside the ratings and then feed to ALL buckets rather than hard-coding into rules.
Whenever a client tells me that the values will never change, I immediately build a model to handle changes!

In terms of feeders, I would try and feed from an assumptions cube unless you can populate the dependent values into the cube (or another cube) like I did above with my probabilities.

In terms of skipcheck vs no skipcheck/feeders - I would go with "it depends" - if you do feed and you get it wrong, performance can be worse than no skipcheck/feeders (depending on cube size). Going to suggest you try both options but don't forget that you may need to restart the model to compare results.
kenship
Regular Participant
OLAP Product: Cognos
Version: Planning Analytics 2.0.7
Excel Version: 2010

Re: Feeder for cells with value based on rule

Post by kenship »

Thanks.

For now I'll probably skip the skipcheck. The size of the cube is so small that there's no noticeable performance issue.
gtonkin wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2018 5:36 am This would be a very rare case as generally the values being used in the calculation should be coming from an assumptions or driver cube which could then be used to feed the result.
I worked on a cube recently which had values for a probability of default per client rating band-15 maturity buckets needed to be derived using a formula.
I chose to load to probabilities into the cube alongside the ratings and then feed to ALL buckets rather than hard-coding into rules.
Whenever a client tells me that the values will never change, I immediately build a model to handle changes!

In terms of feeders, I would try and feed from an assumptions cube unless you can populate the dependent values into the cube (or another cube) like I did above with my probabilities.

In terms of skipcheck vs no skipcheck/feeders - I would go with "it depends" - if you do feed and you get it wrong, performance can be worse than no skipcheck/feeders (depending on cube size). Going to suggest you try both options but don't forget that you may need to restart the model to compare results.