How to reset views and tabs in TM1 applications web

vladino
OLAP Product: Cognos TM1
Version: 10.2.2
Excel Version: Excel 2013

How to reset views and tabs in TM1 applications web

Post by vladino »

Hi guys,
our users are modifying the look and order of views within TM1 application (ie. Contributor app), for example:
- change order of views (move one view to the bottom etc.)
- change order of dims within view (ie. pivoting)

Is there any easy way how to reset these changes and revert to the original look and order?

I can see several BLB files and it seems that these BLB are holding the current settings. Can I simply delete these views to revert?

Thanks for any advice!

BR
Vladino

EDIT: Ok, it seems that I've found what I've been looking for:
https://www.ibm.com/developerworks/libr ... index.html

EDIT 2: Hmm, it seems it does not work as expected... :-/ I have tried to delete BLB and VUE files for one specific cube and planning unit but it seems that it doesn't work -> after re-opening the TM1 app (I have logged out and closed browser, deleted files manually, then opened browser, logged in and opened the TM1 app) I can see changed dim order, not the original/default one.
vladino

Re: How to reset views and tabs in TM1 applications web

Post by vladino »

vladino wrote: Wed Dec 27, 2017 11:06 pm EDIT 2: Hmm, it seems it does not work as expected... :-/ I have tried to delete BLB and VUE files for one specific cube and planning unit but it seems that it doesn't work -> after re-opening the TM1 app (I have logged out and closed browser, deleted files manually, then opened browser, logged in and opened the TM1 app) I can see changed dim order, not the original/default one.
There is a note within the documentation which says:
All users should be logged out of the system. If users are not logged out when the deletion script is run, then the private views will be persisted when the user re-opens the IBM Cognos TM1 Application Web client, even if it appears that the .vue files have been successfully deleted.

Does it mean that ALL users needs to be logged out? So if I delete views for user A but user B is logged in then the views for user A won't be deleted? Doesn't make much sense for me...
tomok
MVP
OLAP Product: TM1, Palo
Version: Beginning of time thru 10.2
Excel Version: 2003-2007-2010-2013

Post by tomok »

Are you deleting the public views (the .blb files in the main data directory and the .vue files in the folder for each cube) OR the private views (the files underneath the folder with each user's ID? It makes a huge difference.
Tom O'Kelley - Manager Finance Systems
American Tower
http://www.onlinecourtreservations.com/
vladino

Post by vladino »

I have tried following:
1. Log in and open TM1 app
2. Change the layout for one view
3. Close Contributor window

At this moment two files were generated:
- BLB file in the main Data folder (the filename was something like "cube name"."view name"."app GUID"."user CAMID"
- VUE file in the user's folder (the filename was something like "cube name"."view name"."app GUID"."user CAMID"

4. Log out and closed browser

I have deleted both above mentioned files.

5. Log in and open TM1 app
6. The layout was unchanged, ie. my changes were still applied
tomok
MVP
OLAP Product: TM1, Palo
Version: Beginning of time thru 10.2
Excel Version: 2003-2007-2010-2013

Post by tomok »

If you are an admin then changes you make or going to be to the public view(s). You have to delete the files AND restart the TM1 service.
Tom O'Kelley - Manager Finance Systems
American Tower
http://www.onlinecourtreservations.com/
vladino

Post by vladino »

Yes, I'm in ADMIN group.

But what about standard users? Does this mean that to reset views and tabs globally and automatically (let's say daily) I need to restart TM1 server daily?
Steve Rowe
Site Admin
OLAP Product: TM1
Version: TM1 v6,v7,v8,v9,v10,v11+PAW
Excel Version: Nearly all of them

Post by Steve Rowe »

Not sure we have the full picture here.

If the views you are talking about are public views then don't give users the rights to save them, then then there should not be an issue.

If you need to reset public views then do it in a TI process rather than messing around in the file system.
Technical Director
www.infocat.co.uk
vladino

Post by vladino »

Steve Rowe wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2018 9:37 am If the views you are talking about are public views then don't give users the rights to save them, then then there should not be an issue.
Users are not allowed to save views. When any user changes the view (ie. rotate dimensions etc.) the it automatically creates BLB and VUE files.
Steve Rowe wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2018 9:37 am If you need to reset public views then do it in a TI process rather than messing around in the file system.
I have prepared a batch file that will be run by a TI but I just wanted to check if it even works. Or is there any TI function that can do the reset?
Steve Rowe
Site Admin
OLAP Product: TM1
Version: TM1 v6,v7,v8,v9,v10,v11+PAW
Excel Version: Nearly all of them

Post by Steve Rowe »

Hi,

I think I missed the point... You are talking about a users "view" of the published public View object which the TM1 Application functionality is remembering so that when they log back in they are in the same place as when they left.

Not something I have ever tried to interfere with so not sure how much help I can be, sorry
Technical Director
www.infocat.co.uk
vladino

Post by vladino »

Steve Rowe wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2018 2:05 pm You are talking about a users "view" of the published public View object which the TM1 Application functionality is remembering so that when they log back in they are in the same place as when they left.
Exactly.
vladino

Post by vladino »

It seems that I have solved this topic...

There was the last step missing - restarting the web tier after deleting VUE and BLB files.

Thanks guys for your contribution!
vladino

Post by vladino »

tomok wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2017 12:48 pm You have to delete the files AND restart the TM1 service.
Bullseye!