Can't Find DLL entry point LoadLibraryA in Kernel32.dll

ngphong
OLAP Product: TM1
Version: 10.2.2
Excel Version: 365

Can't Find DLL entry point LoadLibraryA in Kernel32.dll

Post by ngphong »

Hi:
I am installing TM1 Perspectives. When I do the Excel Add-in, after I map the IBM Cognos TM1 Perspectives (in the Excel Add-ins window) to tm1p.xla file, I got the message "can't find DLL entry point LoadLibraryA in Kernel32.dll". The TM1 Add-in does not show in Excel. I tried deleting and re-installed both Excel 365 (32-bit) and TM1 (10.2.2) a couple times, but the problem still there. This is the first time I see such issue. Has anyone run into this issue before?
paulsimon
MVP
Version: PA 2.0.5
Excel Version: 2016

Re: Can't Find DLL entry point LoadLibraryA in Kernel32.dll

Post by paulsimon »

Hi

Did you by any chance select the option to copy the AddIn to the AddIns folder? This might be causing the error since all DLLs related to the TM1P.XLA need to be in the same folder.

Regards

Paul Simon
ngphong

Post by ngphong »

Thank you, Paul.

Can you provide more details for me to check? Where can I find the AddIns folder?

Thanks,
Phong Nguyen
paulsimon
MVP
Version: PA 2.0.5
Excel Version: 2016

Post by paulsimon »

On my machine it is

C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\root\Office16\ADDINS
ngphong

Post by ngphong »

Thanks. I see some add-ins subfolder under the Addins folder that you referenced, i.e. Power Map Excel Add-in, Power View Excel Add-in, PowerPivot Excel Add-in. Under each of those folders, there are verious .DLL files. I am not good enough to understand what are those .DLL files are for, and how are they related to the TM1P.XLA file.

Do you think I should try to re-install Excel and watch out for the option to copy the addins to the Addin folder?

Thanks,
Phong Nguyen
MichaelGlinski
Version: 10.2.2+
Excel Version: 2010-2016

Post by MichaelGlinski »

FYI, in case anyone else runs into this error message in the future...

The exact error message discussed in this thread was being returned when a user tried running Perspectives on their machine. We tried reinstalling Perspectives, reinstalling Excel, re-registering DLLs, copying DLLs to Excel's ADDINS folder... all with no success.

It turns out the problem was that the user was on a network with a company-wide security policy to blacklist macros unless a specific .xla or .xlam file was whitelisted. These blacklists/whitelists even overrode any security settings we made in Excel, so while we thought we were allowing or telling Excel to notify us of macros via settings in Excel, we really weren't. The company-wide security policy overrode any configurations we made in Excel and prevented tm1p.xla from calling macros in a manner that resulted in the "Can't find DLL entry point LoadLibraryA in Kernel32.dll" message, which isn't typically what you see when macros are disabled.

After having a domain administrator whitelist "(user machine's name)\Program Files (x86)\ibm\cognos\tm1\bin\tm1p.xla", everything worked flawlessly.

I figured it would be worth posting some closure in this thread, since this error message isn't typically what you see when macros are being blocked and the previously described solution didn't work for me.