Unusual Problems with Text Files in TI Processes

Thurston Howell III
OLAP Product: TM1
Version: PA 2.0.8
Excel Version: 2016

Unusual Problems with Text Files in TI Processes

Post by Thurston Howell III »

Hi All,

I have a TI process that loads data from a nightly text file out of our ERP. Right now a large block of the data no longer loads. I cannot see anything unusual in any of the lines in the block or in the lines before and after it (no special characters, leading or trailing spaces etc). This process worked until recently and accepts data at other intersections of these same elements with a different month. A csv version of this file loads with no problems. I see no signs of corruption in the text file. I tried an ASCII output file and the process does not even read these particular lines.

Are there any unusual issues TI processes can have with text files that might cause TM1 not to read lines of data?

Any input would be greatly appreciated.
jim wood
Site Admin
Version: PA 2.0.7
Excel Version: Office 365

Re: Unusual Problems with Text Files in TI Processes

Post by jim wood »

Are there any free form text fields within the Data? If there are, within this field there may carriage returns or ". If there are if would throw everything off.
Struggling through the quagmire of life to reach the other side of who knows where.
Shop at Amazon
Jimbo PC Builds on YouTube
tomok
MVP
OLAP Product: TM1, Palo
Version: Beginning of time thru 10.2
Excel Version: 2003-2007-2010-2013

Post by tomok »

I would echo Jim. If part of the data you are importing to TM1 is text then I would look for carriage returns and other non-printable ASCII characters. Notepad++ can help you with this.
Tom O'Kelley - Manager Finance Systems
American Tower
http://www.onlinecourtreservations.com/
gtonkin
MVP
Version: Latest and greatest
Excel Version: Office 365 64-bit

Post by gtonkin »

When you say that a CSV file loads with no problems, but the TXT does not, I get confused, unless you are generating two different files from the ERP.

The file extension should have no impact. What are the field separators in both the CSV and TXT files, for clarification?