Ajay
Regular Participant
OLAP Product: TM1
Version: 10.2.0, PA 2.0.9
Excel Version: 2016

Application worksheets, macros and websheets

Post by Ajay »

Hi All

I wanted to canvas some ideas for a direction of travel, before embarking on some development surrounding reporting from Perspectives based reports and web reports.

It's common to produce a Perspectives excel report, perhaps adding some macros to it and then publishing it to the "Application" folders for users to use. But when those reports are accessed via TM1Web, the macro functionality is lost.

So, very often for TM1Web, we make a "light" or "macro-less" version of a report. My question is based around how that version is then deployed to the end user. Most ADMINs will publish these into the Application folders, but how would you stop access in TM1Web to the "macro'd" reports, particularly when it is not possible to segregate users between TM1Web and perspectives, thus making both reports accessible. Are there alternate places to publish these reports ? Is there a need to have Application folders for web and those for Perspectives ? Is security to the folders the answer ?

Is there a way to keep reports distinct from the users using TM1Web and Perspectives ?

How have others approached this ? Am I looking at this in the wrong way ?

Thoughts gratefully welcome.

Thanks
Ajay
tomok
MVP
OLAP Product: TM1, Palo
Version: Beginning of time thru 10.2
Excel Version: 2003-2007-2010-2013

Re: Application worksheets, macros and websheets

Post by tomok »

Ajay wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2017 11:45 am It's common to produce a Perspectives excel report, perhaps adding some macros to it and then publishing it to the "Application" folders for users to use. But when those reports are accessed via TM1Web, the macro functionality is lost.
The answer is you have to add the .xlsm file to the application folder instead of publishing it. If you do this then TM1Web won't try and open it as a report. When you click on the item in the Application folder TM1Web will look for the file association for .xlsm and open it with Excel. You can segregate them into special folder(s), or name them so that users know these are the macro-based reports, or whatever.
Tom O'Kelley - Manager Finance Systems
American Tower
http://www.onlinecourtreservations.com/
Mark RMBC
Community Contributor
Version: 10.1.1
Excel Version: Excel 2010

Post by Mark RMBC »

I would add that when we create web views we tend to create navigation links between the websheets, assuming there are multiple ones, so that in theory users on the web do not need to access the application folder at all

In the client settings we configure to allow for this, so for example ensure the navigation tree is collapsed, set default home page for each user etc.

In this way the web seems like its own self-contained environment, at least to the end user.

As always there are exceptions and caveats to this approach.
Ajay
Regular Participant
Version: 10.2.0, PA 2.0.9
Excel Version: 2016

Post by Ajay »

Thank you guys for getting back to me......I was away on annual leave Monday and Tuesday so apologies for not coming back sooner.

@tomok - yes I completely forgot about "adding" files, rather than publishing the report directly from excel. Thankyou for reminding me about that !

@mark RMBC - the landing page is something that I am considering. It seems a "cleaner" way of directing users to the reports we need them to use.

Cheers both for your inputs.

Ajay