Active Form Drill down help

Paul-TM1
OLAP Product: TM1
Version: 10.2.2
Excel Version: 2010

Active Form Drill down help

Post by Paul-TM1 »

Hi All,
I have a question about drill down of an active form.

I want to restrict users drill down to a specific level - say descendants below level 4 of hierarchy. Is there a function that I can use?
Any ideas on how to restrict users not to drill down below a certain level or descendants below level 4.

The dimension is available to users
1. In perspectives for drill down to the lowest level
2. in contributor is used for approval hierarchy.

I found function 'TM1RptRow', but does not look useful.
We use 10.2.2 FP7 version.

Any idea is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Paul.
Edward Stuart
Community Contributor
Version: All
Excel Version: All

Re: Active Form Drill down help

Post by Edward Stuart »

AFAIK it is only possible to restrict dimension security between TM1 front ends via contributor applications

I would question why? (Performance? Usability? Asthetic?) But it could be achieved by generating a replica dimension to the required level. This obviously brings a level of additional maintenance which may not outweigh the benefits you are looking for.
tomok
MVP
OLAP Product: TM1, Palo
Version: Beginning of time thru 10.2
Excel Version: 2003-2007-2010-2013

Post by tomok »

You can do it through element level security. Create an }ElementSecurity_YourDimName cube for the dimension you are talking about and write a rule that only gives READ/WRITE to the elements you want via a rule and ELLEV. In order to work properly you MAY need a balanced hierarchy though. With a ragged hierarchy the same thing may be on different levels. For example, if you roll cost centers to managers, then regions, then countries, etc., and for a specific country you slip in another level, like sub-region, or something like that then your higher levels are no longer the same level number in TM1. Think about it.
Tom O'Kelley - Manager Finance Systems
American Tower
http://www.onlinecourtreservations.com/
Edward Stuart
Community Contributor
Version: All
Excel Version: All

Post by Edward Stuart »

My interpretation was that users have access to all levels of dimension through perspectives but the requirement was to restrict access in active forms.

If it is across the model then element security as per Tomok's suggestion would work.

However I'm still not convinced this isn't a question relating to drill through rules or navigating the hierarchy?
Paul-TM1
Excel Version: 2010

Post by Paul-TM1 »

Thanks all for the advises.

Sorry, it's not drill down, but restrict navigating down hierarchy to lower levels in active forms. The dimension is ragged and is used across as the model as approval hierarchy.

We are collecting attributes at a particular level and we are interested restricting users go to a lower level and input.

Please let me know if there are any alternate methods.

Thanks,
Paul.
Steve Rowe
Site Admin
Version: TM1 v6,v7,v8,v9,v10,v11+PAW
Excel Version: Nearly all of them

Post by Steve Rowe »

A solution
If you gave every element you want visible in the active form an available flag and then put MDX referencing this in the report row formula and disabled drill down in the report row formula then you would get close to this. Report would need to have all rows expanded to the level of interest all the time though.
Technical Director
www.infocat.co.uk
thebestschen
OLAP Product: tm1
Excel Version: 2013

Post by thebestschen »

Hi Paul,

create an additional dimension and insert all elements the user should be able to see.
After this open your active form and change the dimension in the rtprow-function to the new one. This should work:)

Best Regards
TheBestschen
tomok
MVP
OLAP Product: TM1, Palo
Version: Beginning of time thru 10.2
Excel Version: 2003-2007-2010-2013

Post by tomok »

thebestschen wrote: Wed Oct 04, 2017 6:26 pm create an additional dimension and insert all elements the user should be able to see.
Have you actually tried this? I'm not saying it won't work, I'm just skeptical that you can reference a dimension that is not in the cube in a TM1RPTRPW formula. That would be a great solution if it does work.
Tom O'Kelley - Manager Finance Systems
American Tower
http://www.onlinecourtreservations.com/
Mark RMBC
Community Contributor
Version: 10.1.1
Excel Version: Excel 2010

Post by Mark RMBC »

Have you actually tried this? I'm not saying it won't work
So intrigued by this was I
That I decided to test and to my
Disappointment it didn't work
And the server went down
But maybe it was me!

I am sure that thebestschen will have tested this before offering the advice? On that score do we have guidelines for those giving the advice?
thebestschen
OLAP Product: tm1
Excel Version: 2013

Post by thebestschen »

Oh sorry :roll:
I mixed something up. Sorry for that.
But I have a second idea: You can create a new Cube with the new high level dimension. Create an active form and join the values from your original cube with an additional view. Maybe you can try this.