Mark RMBC
Community Contributor
OLAP Product: TM1
Version: 10.1.1
Excel Version: Excel 2010

Message on TM1 Web

Post by Mark RMBC »

Hi all,

I have an active form on the web where I have an action button to navigate to another websheet. The websheet that is navigated to has security set for only a certain group, the others groups are set to None, so when a user not in that group clicks the link they get the following message:

File does not exist. Web sheets\Sheet in question.xlsx
Failed to open target workbook.

Is there a way to change this message to something like:

You do not have the appropriate security to access this area, please go away!

cheers, Mark
tomok
MVP
OLAP Product: TM1, Palo
Version: Beginning of time thru 10.2
Excel Version: 2003-2007-2010-2013

Re: Message on TM1 Web

Post by tomok »

No.
Tom O'Kelley - Manager Finance Systems
American Tower
http://www.onlinecourtreservations.com/
AmbPin
Regular Participant
Version: 9.5.2
Excel Version: 2007-10

Post by AmbPin »

If you make a TI that returns an error when it finds that the active user does not have access, then you can set you message in the error section of the button. Assuming they do have access, then the TI will not error and they continue as befoe to the form.
Hope that makes sense.
Mark RMBC
Community Contributor
Version: 10.1.1
Excel Version: Excel 2010

Post by Mark RMBC »

Hi all,

AmbPin as per your suggestion I have created a TI that simply process quits if for the user the group in question is blank and in the options on the action button I have just added to the process fail the relevant message and this works as I want.

I have done a gazillion run process and then go to another worksheet buttons but for some reason this didn't occur to me in this case! Now it seems so obvious!

cheers, Mark
AmbPin
Regular Participant
Version: 9.5.2
Excel Version: 2007-10

Post by AmbPin »

Glad you got it working
lotsaram
MVP
OLAP Product: TableManager1
Version: PA 2.0.x
Excel Version: Office 365

Post by lotsaram »

AmbPin wrote: Mon Sep 25, 2017 11:20 am If you make a TI that returns an error when it finds that the active user does not have access, then you can set you message in the error section of the button. Assuming they do have access, then the TI will not error and they continue as befoe to the form.
Hope that makes sense.
+1
This is a great tip and what we usually do. The main thing to be aware of is that application security is just like element security *except* that the default access if blank is READ and to prohibit access it needs to be explicitly set to NONE (which is the opposite of regular element security). There's also the issue of traversing folders as if the containing folder (or ancestor if multi-level) is NONE then it doesn't matter if the workbook itself is blank. For this reason it can get complicated and it is often better to have a helper cube to trawl through rather than }ApplicationSecurity itself as it makes the logic much easier in the TI.
Please place all requests for help in a public thread. I will not answer PMs requesting assistance.
pandinus
OLAP Product: TM1, Cognos Express
Version: 10.2.2
Excel Version: 2013

Post by pandinus »

Another option would be to create an additional websheet called 'Access Denied' or something like that.

Now, when a user clicks a button, the reference to the websheet is dynamic. In case the user belongs to any of the groups with access to the target sheet, the reference is set to the target sheet. If not, the reference is set to the 'Access Denied' sheet.

On the 'Access Denied' sheet you can now politely explain the user that additional authorization is required to access the object and that they can contact whoever at whatever department to request the authorization.