Best Practice to save Rules Values as Stored Values

ptownbro
OLAP Product: TM1
Version: 10.2
Excel Version: 2013

Best Practice to save Rules Values as Stored Values

Post by ptownbro »

Using a simple example to explain my question, assume I've got 2 cubes "Reporting" and "Budgeting". I use my Budgeting cube to derive my budget based on some value using rules. I then want to save the rules-derived value from my Budgeting cube in my Reporting cube as a stored value.

What are the best practices around this?

To illustrate further using my simple example, assume ...

The Reporting cube is made up 2 dimensions "Gl Accounts" and "Version" and looks like the following:
_
Actuals Budget
Revenues 1,000 0
Expenses -600 0
Net Income 400 0

The Budgeting cube is also made up 2 dimensions "Gl Accounts", "Budget Measures" and look likes the following:
_
Actuals % Change Budget
Revenues 1,000 10% 1,100
Expenses -600 10% -660
Net Income 400 440

To derive the "Budget" value in the Budgeting cube, I use a rule:

Code: Select all

['Budget']=N:['Actuals'] * (1 + ['% Change']);
What I want to do next is save the resulting derived value from the Budgeting cube to the Reporting Cube as a stored value rather than as rules-derived value. For example, I understand I could create a rule for it in the Reporting cube with a rule similar to the below.

Code: Select all

['Budget']= DB('Budgeting', !GLAccount, 'Budget');
However, I assume that the associated values in the Reporting cube would still be derived each time they are called by users. Therefore, the reason I want to do this because I'm assuming that it is better for performance when dealing with very large cubes.

Is it best to just use the rules using the "DB" function and not worry about performance as the impact is small even in large cubes?
Is it best to create a TI process which dumps the data from one cube to the other?
What if I wanted to use allocations to "split" the "Expenses" from the Budgeting cube between "Expenses" and "Other" in the reporting cube? This is illustrated using rules in the documentation, but ends up being derived.
Wim Gielis
MVP
OLAP Product: TM1, Jedox
Version: PAL 2.0.9.18
Excel Version: Microsoft 365

Re: Best Practice to save Rules Values as Stored Values

Post by Wim Gielis »

Usually, one would write a TI process to save the values in the other cube.
Rules will always be dynamic, also in small cubes, so if you want static values, the only way to to it using a TI process (or manual copy/paste).
Best regards,

Wim Gielis

IBM Champion 2024
Excel Most Valuable Professional, 2011-2014
https://www.wimgielis.com ==> 121 TM1 articles and a lot of custom code
Newest blog article: Deleting elements quickly
ptownbro
OLAP Product: TM1
Version: 10.2
Excel Version: 2013

Re: Best Practice to save Rules Values as Stored Values

Post by ptownbro »