jagan_Palanisamy
OLAP Product: Cognos TM1
Version: 9.5.1, 9.5.2, 10.2.2
Excel Version: 2007 2010

PAW installation help

Post by jagan_Palanisamy »

Hi,

I need a help in installing PAW 2.0.
I tried to install PAW 2.0 on my windows 7 home premium laptop, my laptop keeps crashing with the blue screen when it reaches the stage saying starting PAW administrator" ( TM1 10.3.1 is already running on the laptop). Attached is the screenshots of installation of PAW.

Below is log file when PAW is crashed for the first time when installation was happening

Running pre-create checks...
(paw) Default Boot2Docker ISO is out-of-date, downloading the latest release...
(paw) Latest release for github.com/boot2docker/boot2docker is v17.06.1-ce
(paw) Downloading C:\Users\jjj\.docker\machine\cache\boot2docker.iso from https://github.com/boot2docker/boot2doc ... docker.iso...
(paw) 0%....10%....20%....30%....40%....50%....60%....70%....80%....90%....100%
Creating machine...
(paw) Copying C:\Users\jjj\.docker\machine\cache\boot2docker.iso to C:\Users\jjj\.docker\machine\machines\paw\boot2docker.iso...
(paw) Creating VirtualBox VM...
(paw) Creating SSH key...
(paw) Starting the VM...
(paw) Check network to re-create if needed...
(paw) Windows might ask for the permission to create a network adapter. Sometimes, such confirmation window is minimized in the taskbar.
(paw) Found a new host-only adapter: "VirtualBox Host-Only Ethernet Adapter #2"
(paw) Windows might ask for the permission to configure a network adapter. Sometimes, such confirmation window is minimized in the taskbar.
(paw) Waiting for an IP...
Waiting for machine to be running, this may take a few minutes...
Detecting operating system of created instance...
Waiting for SSH to be available...
Detecting the provisioner...
Provisioning with boot2docker...
Copying certs to the local machine directory...
Copying certs to the remote machine...
Setting Docker configuration on the remote daemon...
Checking connection to Docker...
Docker is up and running!
To see how to connect your Docker Client to the Docker Engine running on this virtual machine, run: C:\Program Files\Docker Toolbox\docker-machine.exe env paw
Stopping "paw"...
Machine "paw" was stopped.
Starting "paw"...
Machine "paw" was started.
Started machines may have new IP addresses. You may need to re-run the `docker-machine env` command.
Regenerate TLS machine certs? Warning: this is irreversible. (y/n): Regenerating TLS certificates

Below is log content after running the start.bat again ie. laptop is rebooted after the crash

Starting "paw"...
Machine "paw" was started.
Started machines may have new IP addresses. You may need to re-run the `docker-machine env` command.
Regenerate TLS machine certs? Warning: this is irreversible. (y/n): Regenerating TLS certificates

The crash is happening when it is starting the PAW administrator. I have tried reinstalling PAW, docker tool but it did not help.

Please let us know if i am missing something in the installation. Also please share your ideas on the fix if you have encountered something like the above.

Regards
Jagan
Attachments
System Crash blue screen.jpg
System Crash blue screen.jpg (107.31 KiB) Viewed 41235 times
PAW installation screen 1.JPG
PAW installation screen 1.JPG (24.63 KiB) Viewed 41235 times
PAW installation screen 2.JPG
PAW installation screen 2.JPG (27.39 KiB) Viewed 41235 times
declanr
MVP
Version: PA2.0 and most of the old ones
Excel Version: All of em

Re: PAW installation help

Post by declanr »

Can't imagine many people/anyone will have tried an install on windows 7 home premium to tell you if it actually works but based on the OS I would guess your PC probably doesn't have a great deal of RAM etc but you appear to have selected all default settings for the VM (8gb RAM, 4 cores, 20gb disk space) so perhaps that is exceeding what you have available.

That being said I have found PAW to be annoying to install, sometimes it goes perfectly first time and on other occasions when something has gone wrong I have ended up reformatting the machine before I could get it working. The IBM guys do tend to help with specific errors if you use the Watson analytics forum for PA and there are a lot of questions on there about it, especially when it was first available - you may find your specific log messages already on there.
Declan Rodger
Steve Rowe
Site Admin
OLAP Product: TM1
Version: TM1 v6,v7,v8,v9,v10,v11+PAW
Excel Version: Nearly all of them

Post by Steve Rowe »

Pretty sure what you are doing is not supported.
The windows version of PAW is only supported in Win 2016 server as this is the OS version that supports the use of docker.
Technical Director
www.infocat.co.uk
codingCPA
Version: Planning Analytics 2.0.21, PAW
Excel Version: Excel 2013

Post by codingCPA »

I have to agree with everyone else. You may not be able to complete this install anyway since you're not in a supported config, I think you're probably maxing out the ram requirements and that is giving you your blue screen. The docker images need over 6 gigs of ram just to load. When we were trying to on a machine with less than 6 gigs of free ram we weren't able to get workspace up.
dr.nybble
MVP
Version: 10.2.2
Excel Version: Excel 2007

Post by dr.nybble »

SRTSP64.sys is a Symantec driver. Ensure you have the latest version of your virus scanner (and sufficient RAM).

PAW does run fine on Windows 7, it was developed on my Win7 laptop! (Not "officially" supported though.)
gtonkin
MVP
Version: Latest and greatest
Excel Version: Office 365 64-bit

Post by gtonkin »

Can confirm too that it is happy with Win 8.1 - running on my laptop - it is an antique but has 16GB RAM, a huge SSD and a 32GB Swap file on that SSD. With a basic model on the VM running through virtualboxheadless (and other bits and bobs) I am running at about 12GB for now.
gtonkin
MVP
Version: Latest and greatest
Excel Version: Office 365 64-bit

Post by gtonkin »

Found a SysInternals app called VMMap - Allows you to find out a lot more detail on the memory usage of each of the VMs running:
VMMap.PNG
VMMap.PNG (26.57 KiB) Viewed 41048 times
The above on my machine is pretty much a vanilla install with one Book with one Sheet and one small view-not sure as to how this will grow as more workspace objects are added.
At the very least, you can see what memory the VM is consuming, take a baseline and monitor.
jagan_Palanisamy

Hi,

Thanks for your suggestion, i was able to install PAW successfully after adding additional RAM on my laptop. I could not pass the validation for configuration on PA Admin screen, i am providing the following URI values but i am getting timeout error for all below 3 URIs.

Starting PA admin tool has launched this url on IE - http://192.168.40.100:8888/ for configuration.

Entered the below values

TM1 Admin Server URI - https://192.168.40.1:5898 ( also tried with http://192.168.40.1:5895)
TM1 Application Server Gateway URI - http://192.168.40.1:9510
TM1 Login Server URI - https://192.168.40.1:12354 ( Port 12354 is the HttpPortNumber for my planning sample instance running on my laptop)
Authentication Mode - TM1

Attached the screenshot of the config screen. Please let me know what i am missing on the configuration portion.

Thanks
Attachments
PA Admin tool validation error.PNG
PA Admin tool validation error.PNG (44.2 KiB) Viewed 40920 times
dr.nybble
MVP

Post by dr.nybble »

If you try those URLs in your Windows browser do they work?

Try:

https://192.168.40.1:5988/api/v1/Servers

If you have a firewall or virus scanner, temporarily disable it.
declanr
MVP
Version: PA2.0 and most of the old ones
Excel Version: All of em

Post by declanr »

As the good doctor alludes to with his mentioning of the firewall; that is the response I get if I forget to allow the required ports through.
Declan Rodger
jagan_Palanisamy

Thanks dr.nybble and Declan for the help, PAW works after disabling the firewall.
paulsimon
MVP
Version: PA 2.0.5
Excel Version: 2016

Post by paulsimon »

Hi

The things I am reading on here are scary. Why do we suddenly need to become network engineers just to get a piece of software running? I don't know anyone who uses TM1 on anything other than a Windows server so why did we need Docker in the first place. From searching the internet lots of people are having similar problems with Docker on other applications not just paw.

I am having problems getting it to work. I have WIndows 2012 Server with 8GB RAM. I have cut the size of the VM down to 1012MB, 1 CPU and 2000 MB Disk. I found that you need to do this in two places Start.bat and \scripts\WinStart.sh. I am not sure if that is too much of a reduction but I don't even want to run PAW. I only need to get it running to be able to use the Subset Editor in PAFE. My client is not going pay the license fee for paw.

If I try the Install/upgrade docker images option it always fails every time at Setting Docker configuration on the remote daemon...

Despite that Oracle VM Virtual Box Manager is telling me that I have a paw virtual machine running. On a suggestion either from this site or from GitHub I removed the Default Machine which didn't work so I know just have paw.

I have tried running paw on both ports 80/443 and 8080/443. I have changed the windows firewall to allow both Inbound and Outbound TCP on these ports.

If I try to use Port 80 it does say that it is in use, which is why I switched to port 8080. I am not sure why port 80 would ever not be in use since as far as I am aware it is used for most web traffic?

I have tried removing the paw machine and re starting several times.

I have tried uninstalling everything and re-installing.

At one time I did manage to get the PAW Administration Tool working, but now it won't work and 192.168.40.100:8889 just gives a not found error.

Hardware Virtualisation is enabled on the server.

Does anyone have any advice? Let me know if you need more information?

I am getting more than a little frustrated. This should be a simple single machine installation.

Regards

Paul Simon
lotsaram
MVP
OLAP Product: TableManager1
Version: PA 2.0.x
Excel Version: Office 365

Post by lotsaram »

paulsimon wrote: Wed May 02, 2018 10:59 pm I am having problems getting it to work. I have WIndows 2012 Server with 8GB RAM. I have cut the size of the VM down to 1012MB, 1 CPU and 2000 MB Disk. I found that you need to do this in two places Start.bat and \scripts\WinStart.sh. I am not sure if that is too much of a reduction but I don't even want to run PAW. I only need to get it running to be able to use the Subset Editor in PAFE. My client is not going pay the license fee for paw.
I'm pretty sure the Linux VM requires MINIMUM 4GB memory. If you have less than this it just won't install.
Please place all requests for help in a public thread. I will not answer PMs requesting assistance.
Steve Rowe
Site Admin
Version: TM1 v6,v7,v8,v9,v10,v11+PAW
Excel Version: Nearly all of them

Post by Steve Rowe »

We found that there was a step up in RAM required for PAW to launch in a recent release, previously 8GB was sufficient for the OS and PAW but no longer. We got it to run up on 9 just but would suggest spec'ing a PAW box at 16GB for comfort.

We found that installs on W16 with sufficient RAM for docker to spin up are straight forward and fairly hassle free, other than having to engage with IT for port opening etc.

If the admin tool won't work then I'm pretty sure nothing else will.
Technical Director
www.infocat.co.uk
paulsimon
MVP

Post by paulsimon »

Hi

Thanks for replying

4GB seems very excessive for what is supposedly a cut down operating system. Windows Server itself only takes about 1.5 GB.

I did have PAW Admin Tool running at one time and was able to specify the FQDN but now it won't run.

I suspect that the problem is related to some sort of conflict between the real networking on the server and the Virtual Box Network. The server is old and I don't think it can actually take any more RAM. I will look in to that.

Regards

Paul SImon
paulsimon
MVP

Post by paulsimon »

Hi

Sorry this is very long. I am hoping that there is someone out there who is curious enough to try to diagnose the problem.

I upped the memory to be allocated to the virtual machine to 4096MB ie 4GB.

I then got
This machine has been allocated an IP address, but Docker Machine could not
reach it successfully.

SSH for the machine should still work, but connecting to exposed ports, such as
the Docker daemon port (usually <ip>:2376), may not work properly.

You may need to add the route manually, or use another related workaround.

This could be due to a VPN, proxy, or host file configuration issue.

You also might want to clear any VirtualBox host only interfaces you are not using.
Checking connection to Docker...
Error creating machine: Error checking the host: Error checking and/or regenerating the certs: There was an error validating certificates for host "192.168.40.101:2376": dial tcp 192.168.40.101:2376: connectex: No connection could be made because the target machine actively refused it.
You can attempt to regenerate them using 'docker-machine regenerate-certs [name]'.
Be advised that this will trigger a Docker daemon restart which might stop running containers.
I changed the Firewall settings to allow port 2376 through (though I can't recall seeing this anywhere in the documentation. It got a bit further but now I get
It then fails.

I ran Start.Bat and replied n so I got to the $ prompt. I then tried docker-machine regenerate-certs paw.

I then ran Start.bat again, said n to images and y to administration tool. It tried to start this on 192.168.40.100:8888 but got

192.168.40.100 refused to connect.

I added 8888 to the FIrewall but it still did not work.

One thing that seems odd is that in Network Connections I have 4 VirtualBox Host-Only Networks. It seems to regularly create another one. I have disabled all by the latest #4 one.

Tried Start.bat again saying y to Docker images although they should already be there. This gave
docker is configured to use the paw machine with IP 192.168.40.100

Install/Update IBM Planning Analytics Docker images (y/n)? (default n): y
Installing/Updating IBM Planning Analytics Docker images
Loading image file images/images.tar, this will take a few minutes...
Looks like something went wrong in step "Installing/Updating IBM Planning Analyt
ics Docker images"...
Check the log file /c/TM1/Releases/PA_2-0-3/paw/log/admintool/start_2018_05_03_2
3_46_10.log...
Press Enter to exit...
The log file referenced did not exist.

There was an up.log from when it tried to start the administration tool earlier. This had
Creating network "admintool_default" with the default driver
Pulling admintool (pa-docker:5000/planninganalytics/admintool:1.0.25)...
Get https://pa-docker:5000/v2/: dial tcp: lookup pa-docker on 10.0.2.3:53: server misbehaving
I tried again. This time it said that the Admin Tool had started in the DOS window but then I got the same refused connection error in Chrome. The up.log said
Pulling admintool (pa-docker:5000/planninganalytics/admintool:1.0.25)...
Get https://pa-docker:5000/v2/: dial tcp: lookup pa-docker on 10.0.2.3:53: server misbehaving
If I look at the Oracle VM VirtualBox Manager it shows that the paw machine is up and running
paw.jpg
paw.jpg (132.94 KiB) Viewed 39868 times
However, it seems that the Admin tool cannot be accessed in the browser.

Does anyone have any clues as to what is wrong?

Regards

Paul Simon
dr.nybble
MVP

Post by dr.nybble »

You will not have success with a 2GB disk! Stick with the defaults. Delete your VM and start again (it is not trivial to expand the disk on a Linux VM).

PAW is not a monolithic application. It is comprised of many processes that combined comprise the PAW application.
We run a number of Apache proxies, Websphere Liberty servers and NodeJS servers along with serveral databases.

You will appreciate Docker especially when a distributed (highly available / scalable / load balanced) PAW is available!

It would be nice to have a "stripped down" PAW where it is exclusively used for PAX. You could log an enhancement request for that.
paulsimon
MVP

Post by paulsimon »

Hi

At present the server only has 8GB so I cannot use the default of 8GB for Docker. I was trying with 4GB but that still will not work. I have persuaded the client to buy another 8GB of RAM. When this arrives and gets installed I will try again but given the lead times at this client that might be a while.

I still find it hard to understand why the Docker plus PAW should require so much RAM to run.

At my major client, they did evaluate PAW but did see any significant benefit in it. It would appear that to do anything remotely complex in the user interface you still have to resort to a TM1 Web Sheet, so it did not appear to provide any great benefit over TM1 Web for which they already have a license compared to the high cost of PAW. This was a quite a few months back, and things may have improved since but the demo from IBM was still pretty buggy. Instead we are looking at Cubeware Cockpit which has the benefit of providing an interface to SQL as well as TM1.

Regards

Paul Simon