Cognos Analytics 11.06 Kills TM1 Web

codingCPA
OLAP Product: TM1
Version: Planning Analytics 2.0.21, PAW
Excel Version: Excel 2013

Cognos Analytics 11.06 Kills TM1 Web

Post by codingCPA »

We are currently trying to install Cognos Analytics 11.06 to handle authentication under mode 5 for our Planning Analytics 2.0.2 install. We have twice not encountered the same issue. After installing Cognos Analytics and starting up the server for the first time, Cognos TM1 completely stops running on port 9510. The port doesn't even show as active anymore when TM1 services are started up like it should. We're not sure if the Analytics install has a default port number that conflicts with 9510, but what is also odd is that even after completely uninstalling Cognos Analytics, TM1Web still doesn't come up. Not sure if there's something conflicting entries in the registry or something but we're having a hard time conceptualizing why starting Cognos analytics would alter our tm1 install to the point that it completely fails, and seems to be irreversible short of completely uninstalling and re-installing tm1 on the server.

Thanks!
Elessar
Community Contributor
OLAP Product: PA 2
Version: 2.0.9
Excel Version: 2016

Re: Cognos Analytics 11.06 Kills TM1 Web

Post by Elessar »

Hi,

What "netstat -an" says?
The database used for content store can take port 9510. What DB are you using? Is it on the same machine?
Best regards, Alexander Dvoynev

TM1 and Data Science blog: 6th article - PAfE + VBA: Commit each cell without pressing “Commit” button.
codingCPA

Post by codingCPA »

Netstat isn't showing anything active on the port 9510 anymore. Thanks for the tip on the contentstore. We are trying to run Analytics and TM1 on the same machine. The biggest mystery to me still is that something appears to be modified in our TM1 install during the initial boot of the analytics server that I can't seem to figure out how to reverse. I assumed that if 9510 just had a port conflict between analytics and tm1 that things would function on tm1 when I don't have the analytics server started, and especially after a full uninstall of analytics, but that doesn't seem to be the case. There seems to be some remnant of the install that I can't seem to be able to get rid of with the analytics uninstaller. Even after uninstalling analytics, starting the TM1 services doesn't boot up tm1 web anymore, and even though there are no errors on startup, nothing shows active on 9510 on netstat.

There's also, of course, nothing of use in the tm1web.log file.
tomok
MVP
OLAP Product: TM1, Palo
Version: Beginning of time thru 10.2
Excel Version: 2003-2007-2010-2013

Post by tomok »

So you're trying to run Cognos BI and TM1 om the same box? All I can say is why? I'm pretty sure that is not a preferred or recommended configuration from IBM. Trying to save a few bucks on a some hardware and a Windows server license cannot be worth the hassles you are running into.
Tom O'Kelley - Manager Finance Systems
American Tower
http://www.onlinecourtreservations.com/
jim wood
Site Admin
Version: PA 2.0.7
Excel Version: Office 365

Post by jim wood »

To be fair IBM make it look like the "same box" in their demos. But I agree with Tomok, having them on the same box is never a good plan.
Struggling through the quagmire of life to reach the other side of who knows where.
Shop at Amazon
Jimbo PC Builds on YouTube
Elessar
Community Contributor
OLAP Product: PA 2
Version: 2.0.9
Excel Version: 2016

Post by Elessar »

You didn't answer the "DB for content store" question :) If Informix was installed by default, after the CA uninstallation Informix might not be uninstalled and still can listen to 9510.
Best regards, Alexander Dvoynev

TM1 and Data Science blog: 6th article - PAfE + VBA: Commit each cell without pressing “Commit” button.
jim wood
Site Admin
Version: PA 2.0.7
Excel Version: Office 365

Post by jim wood »

Elessar wrote: Wed Aug 23, 2017 8:41 am You didn't answer the "DB for content store" question :)
Answering questions? Blimey, you're obviously an optimist!!!
Struggling through the quagmire of life to reach the other side of who knows where.
Shop at Amazon
Jimbo PC Builds on YouTube
codingCPA

Post by codingCPA »

So to update everyone. We got everything working in this configuration by uninstalling tm1 and analytics fully and then redoing the install with analytics installed on a clean machine and configured, and then adding the tm1 install. Once tm1 was re-installed and started up there were no issues with tm1 web. I'm not sure at all why but what it appears was happening is that somehow the analytics install was corrupting an existing tm1 install. I hadn't seen anything in IBM's documentation that suggested it was a necessity to install analytics on the server first, but that appears to be the case from this experience. The reason we are thinking about using the same server is because we only plan on using CA for authentication and not any of the analysis products, which we'll end up disabling in configuration.
tomok
MVP
OLAP Product: TM1, Palo
Version: Beginning of time thru 10.2
Excel Version: 2003-2007-2010-2013

Post by tomok »

codingCPA wrote: Wed Aug 23, 2017 7:47 pm The reason we are thinking about using the same server is because we only plan on using CA for authentication and not any of the analysis products, which we'll end up disabling in configuration.
You don't need the full Cognos BI suite installed to use CAM. There is a run-time component that you can install that only does the CAM stuff.
Tom O'Kelley - Manager Finance Systems
American Tower
http://www.onlinecourtreservations.com/
codingCPA

Post by codingCPA »

This looks like it was covered in another thread and there it didn't seem that the runtime environment didn't exist past 10.1.

http://www.tm1forum.com/viewtopic.php?t=12167

Since we are running Planning Analytics 2.0.2 that didn't seem to be an option anymore. If it is we would definitely do that instead of running the full CA server.