CAM Authentication For Prod/Dev on Same Server

codingCPA
OLAP Product: TM1
Version: Planning Analytics 2.0.21, PAW
Excel Version: Excel 2013

CAM Authentication For Prod/Dev on Same Server

Post by codingCPA »

I was hoping that I could get some assistance from someone who may have experience trying this before. My company currently has both a dev and prod PA 2.0 environments running in parralell. The production environment is set to security mode 5, and authenticates through Cognos Analytics Security. The dev environment is currently set to security mode 1.

My question is this. Does anyone have experience connecting two separate but identical TM1 servers to the same authentication server? Is this something that you can do or would we need a different authentication server for dev if we want to use security mode 5? The servers have different network locations, but the Tm1 server and object names would be the same.

I can't find anything online about anyone trying this, so I'm guessing that this is either just a horrible idea, or something that is super common and not an issue.

We are currently using PersonaIQ for security overlay.

Thanks!
tomok
MVP
OLAP Product: TM1, Palo
Version: Beginning of time thru 10.2
Excel Version: 2003-2007-2010-2013

Re: CAM Authentication For Prod/Dev on Same Server

Post by tomok »

codingCPA wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2017 5:07 pm The servers have different network locations, but the Tm1 server and object names would be the same.
I don't know the answer to your question but having DEV, UAT and/or PROD TM1 services using the same name is a really bad idea. This is because you'll never be able to log into more than one of those instances at a single time. Why would you want them all to have the same? What benefit would you get from that?
Tom O'Kelley - Manager Finance Systems
American Tower
http://www.onlinecourtreservations.com/
codingCPA

Post by codingCPA »

I realize re-reading that I may have been unclear. Our Dev and Prod environments are located on two separate windows 2008 servers, each running their own TM1 admin server. You aren't able to connect to both the dev and prod environments at the same time regardless of the naming issues since you can only connect to one of the admin hosts at a time.

The reason we run two totally separate windows and admin servers and not just separate tm1 services for test/prod is that it allows us to do full upgrade and environment change testing without touching our production windows server and risking downtime. We don't want to have to set up an entirely separate authentication server and PersonaIQ database if we can avoid it which is why I'm wondering about pointing both admin servers to the same authentication server.
tomok
MVP
OLAP Product: TM1, Palo
Version: Beginning of time thru 10.2
Excel Version: 2003-2007-2010-2013

Post by tomok »

codingCPA wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2017 5:40 pmYou aren't able to connect to both the dev and prod environments at the same time regardless of the naming issues since you can only connect to one of the admin hosts at a time.
Which client interface are you referring to? With Architect and Perspectives you most certainly can connect to more than one admin host at a time. Just separate the names with a semi-colon in the AdminHost parameter and it'll pull the server list as a combination from all the admin hosts you are connected to. The caveat being that if any of the services are named the same it will hose that up, which is why I said it's not a good idea to share service names between DEV, UAT and PROD.
Tom O'Kelley - Manager Finance Systems
American Tower
http://www.onlinecourtreservations.com/
codingCPA

Post by codingCPA »

Hey Tom,

Thanks for the tip on connecting to multiple servers. I believe the original reason why it was set up using the same server name is that it allowed testing of files across environments without needing to change any server names etc... in them. I really can't comment past that though, since the design and install was done more than four years ago without much documentation. We're going to start revisiting those decisions now. Thanks for all your help! My first job after school was actually right down the street from the Profisee offices off of Great Oaks Pkwy in Alpharetta.