Default Element on TM1 Web Reports

cberg
OLAP Product: TM1
Version: 9+5
Excel Version: 2007

Default Element on TM1 Web Reports

Post by cberg »

I'm trying to set default elements for report viewing in TM1. Right now we give everyone access to a dummy cost center element for a report members in the field need to review. Every member in the field has different cost center elements they need to review but they for the most part don't overlap. There security for the cost center dimension reflects this with each member only able to see their specific cost centers.

The problem I had with the Active Form report we are using is that it bombs out on TM1Web if it is initially set to a cost center the member has does not have access too.
That's why everyone was given access to a dummy cost center and that cost center is set as the initial cost center when the report pulls .
Apparently this confuses the members in the field and they need the initial cost center to be the highest element level they have access to.

I was wondering if there was a way to associate which security group they belonged to a default cost element value that can be passed to the report when it's initally opened.

I feel like this should be possible but I don't have the knowledge to know for sure.

Thanks

Chris
declanr
MVP
OLAP Product: Cognos TM1
Version: PA2.0 and most of the old ones
Excel Version: All of em

Re: Default Element on TM1 Web Reports

Post by declanr »

First of all it shouldn't "bomb out" if they don't have access; that's something worth looking at in more detail.

But as to your actual question, for active forms you can make the title elements SUBNMs where instead of referencing an element it references an index number, so a 1 would return the first element in the subset that user is able to see (or dimension if you leave the subset blank.)
If you subset/dim is organised in such a way that highest level elements are first (e.g hierarchy descending) then it should do what you want.
Declan Rodger
tomok
MVP
OLAP Product: TM1, Palo
Version: Beginning of time thru 10.2
Excel Version: 2003-2007-2010-2013

Post by tomok »

Another option I like to do is add a dummy element to the dimension in question and call it "Select a...." and default the report to that. In your case it would be "Select a cost center." Give everyone access to that element. When the report opens it will be lightning fast because no cost center with data has been selected and the name will prompt the user to select what cost center they want.
Tom O'Kelley - Manager Finance Systems
American Tower
http://www.onlinecourtreservations.com/
lotsaram
MVP
OLAP Product: TableManager1
Version: PA 2.0.x
Excel Version: Office 365

Post by lotsaram »

You do know that you can set a SUBNM value by index as well as by name?

If element security is applied and an appropriate subset is used then by setting index 1 then it should default to the top member as per each users' element security access.
Please place all requests for help in a public thread. I will not answer PMs requesting assistance.
Mark RMBC
Community Contributor
Version: 10.1.1
Excel Version: Excel 2010

Post by Mark RMBC »

Just a note of caution re Tom's advice, I have sometimes used the same method as Tom suggests but when I first did this I had Select a Cost Centre as an orphan in the dimension and this appeared to cause problems with MDX on the web, i.e. it wasn't returning what it should.

Adding the element Select a Cost Centre to the top parent level solved this issue in my case.

So I would just make sure it fits somewhere into the hierarchy.
cberg
Version: 9+5
Excel Version: 2007

Post by cberg »

First off thank you everyone for your help I appreciate it.

Using the index sounds like good idea only problem I have is that it's a large dimension with multiple hierarchies for different users sets. The hierarchy for the field is recreated monthly as there is movement of cost centers often between members. Is there a good way to float the field hierarchy to the top of the index a TI process maybe.

Tom - I do use a default element everyone can see I called it 'Unspecified Cost Center' I probably should have called it "Select a Cost Center' maybe it would have been accepted by the field better.

We will open a SIR on the issue of the report bombing out with IBM if that's unusual behavior.

Chris