Excel Ribbon Disappears

chewza
OLAP Product: TM1
Version: 9.5
Excel Version: 7

Excel Ribbon Disappears

Post by chewza »

Hi there

Very often we have an issue on a Citrix/thin client session whereby the Excel Ribbon disappears completely at the top when opening a Tm1 Report.

Perspectives opens fine, but when opening some reports this is what happens. It's also not consistent - sometimes happens, and sometimes not.

We are using Excel 2013.

Any ideas why?

Many thanks!!

Regards
Chris
gtonkin
MVP
Version: Latest and greatest
Excel Version: Office 365 64-bit

Re: Excel Ribbon Disappears

Post by gtonkin »

Hi Chris, are you sure that it is only the ribbon missing? I had an issue previously where it was actually launching a new instance of Excel. If you go back into the VBA editor, do you see the tm1p addin?
paulsimon
MVP
Version: PA 2.0.5
Excel Version: 2016

Post by paulsimon »

Hi

I don't know why the ribbon disappears - ask IBM. However, if you just delete the tm1pRibbonX.xlam then you can access the TM1 Menus from the Add-Ins menu. I find this more reliable.

Regards

Paul Simon
Wim Gielis
MVP
OLAP Product: TM1, Jedox
Version: PAL 2.0.9.18
Excel Version: Microsoft 365

Post by Wim Gielis »

chewza wrote:the Excel Ribbon disappears completely
It's been a known issue since... Well... the introduction of the ribbon. It happens so often. Icon labels disappear, the word "TM1" as the menu name disappears. You have to dismiss a lot of ugly msgboxes ad so on.

When it happens I generally close Excel and therefore also Perspectives while cursing out loudly a number of times. This is the reason why I always use Architect unless I need some sort of Excel interaction with TM1 (like building a websheet for example). Renaming or deleting the tm1pribbonx.xlam is indeed an option.
Best regards,

Wim Gielis

IBM Champion 2024
Excel Most Valuable Professional, 2011-2014
https://www.wimgielis.com ==> 121 TM1 articles and a lot of custom code
Newest blog article: Deleting elements quickly
chewza
Version: 9.5
Excel Version: 7

Post by chewza »

Hi Guys

Thanks for the feedback. It's not just the ribbon that disappears, but also the menus. Everything above the spreadsheet rows/columns section is blank.
Please refer attached.

Any one else have the same issue?

The only option is to kill Excel, and try again. Sometimes it is fine, other times not. This is obviously a big issue for users.

Regards
Chris
paulsimon
MVP
Version: PA 2.0.5
Excel Version: 2016

Post by paulsimon »

Hi Chris

I couldn't see any attachment. I would suggest that you try renaming the ribbon. Just add a .old extension to the file. Have you also checked that hide ribbon etc has not been set? We run TM1 Perspectives via Citrix and the ribbon doesn't hide itself, but it does lose all text and icons get small and it ceases to function.

Regards

Paul Simon