fleaster
Regular Participant
OLAP Product: TM1
Version: 10.2.2
Excel Version: XL2010

CubeProcessFeeders - when to use?

Post by fleaster »

Hi all,
Hopefully this should be a quick one... my understanding of the CubeProcessFeeders TI function, is that it only needs to be run when you have a change in the underlying data of a cube with Conditional Feeders.

i.e. if the cube has normal feeders, then there is no need to run CubeProcessFeeders , as all the Rules/Feeders will be calculating properly on the fly

...is my understanding correct? :)

thanks!

Matt
Wim Gielis
MVP
OLAP Product: TM1, Jedox
Version: PAL 2.0.9.18
Excel Version: Microsoft 365

Re: CubeProcessFeeders - when to use?

Post by Wim Gielis »

True :-)
Best regards,

Wim Gielis

IBM Champion 2024
Excel Most Valuable Professional, 2011-2014
https://www.wimgielis.com ==> 121 TM1 articles and a lot of custom code
Newest blog article: Deleting elements quickly
fleaster
Regular Participant
Excel Version: XL2010

Post by fleaster »

Goodo thanks! :)
gtonkin
MVP
Version: Latest and greatest
Excel Version: Office 365 64-bit

Post by gtonkin »

You also need to run feeders where you are feeding based on a reference to an attribute or from a consolidation that may have changed. I seem to recall a model where we were feeding to an intersection to a target cell which included referenced few DB reads to the cube to bring back the elements required. We had to trigger feeders periodically. FEEDSTRINGS had no impact in this situation.
LEP
OLAP Product: IBM Congos TM1
Excel Version: 2010

Post by LEP »

Hi,

I have similar experiences in a TM1modell.
gtonkin wrote: Thu May 18, 2017 9:52 am You also need to run feeders where you are feeding based on a reference to an attribute or from a consolidation that may have changed. I seem to recall a model where we were feeding to an intersection to a target cell which included referenced few DB reads to the cube to bring back the elements required. We had to trigger feeders periodically. FEEDSTRINGS had no impact in this situation.
Some feeders are based on a reference to an attribute value and after restart those feeder will not re-fire (If I check the source cells with "Trace feeders..." shows that the target cell is feed but still the target values are "zeroed-out"). After re-save of the rule file or running a TI proc with CubeProcessFeeders is everything fine.

@gtonkin: may I ask you which TM1 version are you using ? Did you find any other solution except running TI proc periodically?

Note:
- TM1 version: 10.2.2 FP1
- PersistentFeeders=F
- No conditinal feeders

Thanks in advance.
gtonkin
MVP
Version: Latest and greatest
Excel Version: Office 365 64-bit

Post by gtonkin »

LEP wrote: Mon Sep 18, 2017 11:23 am ...
Some feeders are based on a reference to an attribute value and after restart those feeder will not re-fire (If I check the source cells with "Trace feeders..." shows that the target cell is feed but still the target values are "zeroed-out"). After re-save of the rule file or running a TI proc with CubeProcessFeeders is everything fine.
The model where we had these issues is on 10.2.2 FP4.
I am still unsure if there is some internal dependency or solve order but it is one of those things that I have never been able to successfully re-create and come up with a suitable explanation. What works, as you found was triggering feeders via TI.
Just to give some context - I also had a fairly simple feeder i.e. element reference merely substituted with an ATTRS to a string Attribute.
I was not expecting a change in the value of the attribute to re-fire. And neither did I have conditional feeders and was thus not using ForceReevaluationOfFeedersForFedCellsOnDataChange.

If I find anything further of relevance in solving this whether a workaround or correcting something I may have done wrong, will post back.
LEP
OLAP Product: IBM Congos TM1
Excel Version: 2010

Post by LEP »

Hi gtonkin,

thanks you for your answer.

First of all it is important to me that a newer FP wouldn’t solve the problem - at least until FP4. I have some ideas for workaround: the rule is about account numbers so I can use numeric attribute instead of string attribute / replace ATTRS function with DB function / create a normal parameter cube to replace attribute cube.
I’m going to try out these techniques and inform you of results.