Advanced rules editor

AmbPin
Regular Participant
OLAP Product: TM1
Version: 9.5.2
Excel Version: 2007-10

Advanced rules editor

Post by AmbPin »

I have seen docs suggesting that the advanced rules editor is no longer supported:-
http://www-01.ibm.com/support/docview.w ... wg21661245

However this would suggest that it is since the editor choice parameter is still listed:-
https://www.ibm.com/support/knowledgece ... ifile.html

Anyone know for sure?
tomok
MVP
OLAP Product: TM1, Palo
Version: Beginning of time thru 10.2
Excel Version: 2003-2007-2010-2013

Re: Advanced rules editor

Post by tomok »

Supported and available are two entirely different things. IBM has a history of stopping support for a feature, yet leaving it in the product for a while. Dropping support just means you shouldn't count on it being available in the future.
Tom O'Kelley - Manager Finance Systems
American Tower
http://www.onlinecourtreservations.com/
Edward Stuart
Community Contributor
Version: All
Excel Version: All

Post by Edward Stuart »

The Design and Develop models course with Architect - Planning Analytics/ 10.2 use examples with the Advanced Rules editor but also include a statement that the advanced rules editor is only supported to 10.1.1
AmbPin
Regular Participant
Version: 9.5.2
Excel Version: 2007-10

Post by AmbPin »

tomok wrote:Supported and available are two entirely different things. IBM has a history of stopping support for a feature, yet leaving it in the product for a while. Dropping support just means you shouldn't count on it being available in the future.
Couldn't agree more, to put it politely I don't think the base knows what the apex is doing sometimes at IBM
Alan Kirk
Site Admin
Version: PA2.0.9.18 Classic NO PAW!
Excel Version: 2013 and Office 365

Post by Alan Kirk »

AmbPin wrote:
tomok wrote:Supported and available are two entirely different things. IBM has a history of stopping support for a feature, yet leaving it in the product for a while. Dropping support just means you shouldn't count on it being available in the future.
Couldn't agree more, to put it politely I don't think the base knows what the apex is doing sometimes at IBM
I don't have a long and robust history of standing in IBM's defence but really, they aren't doing anything wrong here.

Depreciating a feature, which is to say still offering it but saying "Start phasing out your use of it, because some day in the future it will probably go away" is far and away better than just yanking a feature out of a product with a middle finger extended toward the customer. (See also, the Microsoft Office and Windows development teams since Office 2007 and Windows 8 respectively.)

IBM doesn't want to support or develop the A.R.E. probably because it's an evolutionary dead end. Could it be made better? Sure. Could it be made into a pretty decent tool with enough development work by the right people? Most likely. But it's .Net-based which effectively means Windows only. And I think IBM is looking through the prism of a cross-platform future. Devoting the amount of time and effort needed to beef up a single platform component probably isn't part of that.

So essentially they're saying "If it works for you, great. But we're not developing it any further so if it breaks, it breaks. We won't be taking support tickets on it. Please find another way of doing it." It's far better than just saying "The feature's been taken out without any advance notice, screw you all" as Redmond is wont to do these days. (With the notable exception of the SQL Server team, and maybe the .Net one as well.)
"To them, equipment failure is terrifying. To me, it’s 'Tuesday.' "
-----------
Before posting, please check the documentation, the FAQ, the Search function and FOR THE LOVE OF GLUB the Request Guidelines.
PavoGa
MVP
Version: 10.2.2 FP7, PA2.0.9.1
Excel Version: 2013 PAW

Post by PavoGa »

Notepad++

:D
Ty
Cleveland, TN
Wim Gielis
MVP
OLAP Product: TM1, Jedox
Version: PAL 2.0.9.18
Excel Version: Microsoft 365

Post by Wim Gielis »

PavoGa wrote:Notepad++

:D
Indeed, that's what I use as well, with the TM1 syntax language.

Latest addition to my routines in TM1 Architect / Perspectives: I use the free Autohotkey tool to launch certain actions based on a shortcut, like Win key-q.
This shortcut copies the TI code in the selected Advanced tab (by sending Tab twice) and then ctrl-c.
Then it looks for a Notepad++ instance, if not found a new instance is created.
Then we paste the clipboard.
I remove the lines with the Generated Statements.
I activate the TM1 language.
And as the first line I insert the name of the Turbo Integrator window from which I copied.

Another shortcut (Win-z) can then do the inverse: copy code from Notepad++ to the given TI process, taking into account again the Generated Statements.

Last step in this fully automatic process is putting the cursor at the start of the first line of code.

From time to time this script has a glitch but doing it twice always solves it :-)

I extended it to the Rules editor window as well.

I assume that more fancy solutions exist but this works fine for me :-)
Last edited by Wim Gielis on Wed Apr 19, 2017 12:38 am, edited 4 times in total.
Best regards,

Wim Gielis

IBM Champion 2024
Excel Most Valuable Professional, 2011-2014
https://www.wimgielis.com ==> 121 TM1 articles and a lot of custom code
Newest blog article: Deleting elements quickly
PavoGa
MVP
Version: 10.2.2 FP7, PA2.0.9.1
Excel Version: 2013 PAW

Post by PavoGa »

Indeed, that's what I use as well, with the TM1 syntax language.

Latest addition in the "toolkit": I use Autohotkey to launch certain actions based on a shortcut, like Win key-q.
This shortcut copies the TI code in the selected Advanced tab (by sending Tab twice) and then ctrl-c.
Then it looks for a Notepad++ instance, if not found a new instance is created.
Then we paste the clipboard.
I remove the lines with the Generated Statements.
I active the TM1 language.
And as the first line I insert the name of the Turbo Integrator window from which I copied.

Another shortcut (Win-z) can then do the inverse: copy code from Notepad++ to the given TI process, taking into account again the Generated Statements.

Last step is to position in this fully automatic process is putting the cursor at the start of the first line of code.

From time to time this script has a glitch but doing it twice always solves it :-)

I extended it to the Rules editor window as well.

I assume that more fancy solutions can exist but this works fine for me :-)
Cool stuff!!! I only use the TM1 syntax language and keep the files in a separate source code folder. To make sure I understand, you have it integrated with the TI editor in Architect? That is pretty cool. What I do is use a single text file with the sections delimited like:

Code: Select all

###comments, blah for PROLOG
code

#_________________________ METADATA
any code

#_________________________ DATA
any code

#_________________________ EPILOG
any code
Then just copy and paste the relevant sections into the TI Editor. The one thing I like is IF I need to jump from section to another, I have it all in front in me. I use the bookmarks a lot. The long underlines are very easy to spot when scanning any large files.

But I really like your toolkit idea.
Ty
Cleveland, TN
Wim Gielis
MVP
OLAP Product: TM1, Jedox
Version: PAL 2.0.9.18
Excel Version: Microsoft 365

Post by Wim Gielis »

PavoGa wrote:To make sure I understand, you have it integrated with the TI editor in Architect? That is pretty cool.
Integrated in the sense of, Win-q copies the code in the tab to a Notepad++ window with TM1 syntax activated.
Win-z copies back from Notepad++ to the TI editor.
Of course, one should be cautious that the same TI advanced tab is still active after the changes in Notepad++ and so on, but in general this works fine.
Best regards,

Wim Gielis

IBM Champion 2024
Excel Most Valuable Professional, 2011-2014
https://www.wimgielis.com ==> 121 TM1 articles and a lot of custom code
Newest blog article: Deleting elements quickly