Planning Analytics 2.0 Local Workspace boot issues

hardstep
OLAP Product: TM1, EP, Powerplay, C8/C10
Version: 10.2
Excel Version: 2013

Planning Analytics 2.0 Local Workspace boot issues

Post by hardstep »

Hi Folks,
Installed the new version today, but hit an issue with getting the workspace layer working.
As you know it comes as a docker container, so had to install docker toolkit for windows which comes with a bundle of Oracle VirtualBox (why IBM why ?!?).
Has anyone managed to get this bit installed and running ?... my startup script fails with a non-descript error relating to the image itself.

I'm wondering if it is clashing with VMware that is also running on the laptop....keen to see if anyone has had similar issues.

N
Attachments
start_2016_12_14_15_22_47.log
(830 Bytes) Downloaded 417 times
David Usherwood
Site Admin

Re: Planning Analytics 2.0 Local Workspace boot issues

Post by David Usherwood »

I look forward to hear what IBM say, but I would be very surprised if you can run Docker Toolbox alongside VMWare. I would agree that the introduction of Docker into the mix is going to bring some serious acceptance barriers in the client base.
declanr
MVP
OLAP Product: Cognos TM1
Version: PA2.0 and most of the old ones
Excel Version: All of em

Post by declanr »

Can't say as to VMWare but I had to disable HyperV.
The log message was pretty clear for that though.
Declan Rodger
dr.nybble
MVP
OLAP Product: TM1
Version: 10.2.2
Excel Version: Excel 2007

Post by dr.nybble »

Hi, I'm helping support with the collaboration you've logged with IBM.

If you are already able to create VM's on your box using VMWare you can do so. Feel free to follow the Linux instructions in this case.

Try the "Docker Quickstart Terminal" shortcut -- can it create the "Default" VM?
hardstep

Post by hardstep »

Hi Dr Nybble (love the name !)
I can create a default vm from the quick start terminal so it does suggest that I've no clash with VMware.
Interesting though after battling with docker I tried to start a VMware image and it wouldn't start so had to force a reboot, so there is clearly a smash and grab for network resource drivers or something.
Nick
CathyBoots
OLAP Product: Tm1
Excel Version: Prof Plus 2013

Post by CathyBoots »

I'm also having issues with getting this up and running! My docker gets to the point where it tries to load the admin settings but then it can't load the page. Also then the docker box seems to close itself but I think it's still in the background...
dr.nybble
MVP

Post by dr.nybble »

Can you show the contents of log/admintool/up.log?
CathyBoots

Post by CathyBoots »

Indeed I can..
Creating admintool

ERROR: for admintool Cannot create container for service admintool: Invalid bind mount spec "D:\\Software\\download\\licenses:/opt/admintool/licenses/:rw": Invalid volume specification: 'D:\Software\download\licenses:/opt/admintool/licenses/:rw'
Encountered errors while bringing up the project.
dr.nybble
MVP

Post by dr.nybble »

Add this line to the Start.bat file:

SET COMPOSE_CONVERT_WINDOWS_PATHS=1

Unfortunately, Docker introduced a change that breaks existing projects in Docker Compose 1.9 which very recently has been added to the latest Docker Toolbox release.

I guess they have thought better about this because I see in an upcoming release they are setting this by default but until this happens (or PAW releases a new version) our projects need to have this environment variable set.
CathyBoots

Post by CathyBoots »

Dr Nybble, you are a genius! Thank you! That got the admin tool working, unfortunately it's now asking me to accept a licence but there's no licence there. It's just a blank box so the "Accept" button is greyed out. Any ideas how to resolve that issue please?
declanr
MVP
OLAP Product: Cognos TM1
Version: PA2.0 and most of the old ones
Excel Version: All of em

Post by declanr »

CathyBoots wrote:Dr Nybble, you are a genius! Thank you! That got the admin tool working, unfortunately it's now asking me to accept a licence but there's no licence there. It's just a blank box so the "Accept" button is greyed out. Any ideas how to resolve that issue please?
What browser are you using? For me it opened by default in Edge but I needed to swap to Firefox to get it working. Also to start with the basics I think there was a scroll bar on the right hand side that you needed to drag down or something like that before it would let you click "Accept"... and you need to do that for 2 tabs; an IBM Licence and a non-IBM Licence.
Declan Rodger
hardstep

Post by hardstep »

Sadly I do not have a log/admintool/up.log
CathyBoots

Post by CathyBoots »

declanr wrote:
CathyBoots wrote:Dr Nybble, you are a genius! Thank you! That got the admin tool working, unfortunately it's now asking me to accept a licence but there's no licence there. It's just a blank box so the "Accept" button is greyed out. Any ideas how to resolve that issue please?
What browser are you using? For me it opened by default in Edge but I needed to swap to Firefox to get it working. Also to start with the basics I think there was a scroll bar on the right hand side that you needed to drag down or something like that before it would let you click "Accept"... and you need to do that for 2 tabs; an IBM Licence and a non-IBM Licence.

I tried it on Chrome and on IE, but neither of them worked. And neither had the scroll bar.
dr.nybble
MVP

Post by dr.nybble »

I tried downloading the latest Docker Toolbox (with the Docker Compose 1.9 that breaks PAW). I ran it & had the path issue, added the environment variable to Start.bat & tried again -- the Administration Tool worked and showed the license.

Have you moved the PAW install since you created the VM?
The VM accesses files, including the licenses, via a shared folder from Windows.
Launch "Oracle VM VirtualBox Manager" and find the paw VM. Right-click / Settings / Shared Folders.
You should have a share called "pawshare" with a path that is the parent of your PAW install (D:\Software for you I think).

I would recommend deleting your existing VM and re-creating it with PAW in its final install location. We recommend putting it in a folder called paw so you have a structure such as this:
paw
|---paw_<version>

Then when you upgrade you drop the new paw as a sibling to the older ones. That way the shared folder on the VM can access files from the new install.
CathyBoots

Post by CathyBoots »

I did that and recreated PAW and now it loads :) Thank you!
shanthakumar87
Excel Version: Excel 2010

Post by shanthakumar87 »

I have the same issue(admin tool license page not displaying properly). In my case I am doing the installation in Linux server. Can you please suggest how to rectify the issue.

I have the paw installer in the path /oa/paw-onprem
I am executing the command ./Start.sh command from the above path and installing the PAW application.