Are the install packages in general updated?

Alan Kirk
Site Admin
OLAP Product: TM1
Version: PA2.0.9.18 Classic NO PAW!
Excel Version: 2013 and Office 365

Are the install packages in general updated?

Post by Alan Kirk »

Declan's post on the perils of CX 10.1 re-installation set me to thinking.

Does anyone have any solid information on whether the install packages for 10.2.2 have in fact been updated with new certificates?

I just went to the software downloads page - you know, the one that you finally get to after passing through 27 other freaking pages first with an ever-incresing desire to punch a freaking web site designer in the freaking face before you specify all of your search parameters to bring up the only gorram product that you have access to, which a well designed site would just show you from the start - sorry, I digress. Anyway, I'm seeing this:
IBM Cognos TM1 10.2.2 Microsoft Windows Multilingual eAssembly (CRRG9ML)
Release date:13 May 2014, 18 files (21023MB) Note: All file sizes are approximate.
Of course a "mere" 21 gig is not the entire package and I'm not prepared to download the recommended "over half a terabyte" just to see whether 12 files have been updated. It is of course possible that the date shown here is lying to me and that that is just the date of first publication. But if it's not it means that you get to spend a few hours downloading a version that is dead on arrival and which you then have to get out the hammer and screwdriver and fix.

So does anyone know whether this matter has been addressed?
"To them, equipment failure is terrifying. To me, it’s 'Tuesday.' "
-----------
Before posting, please check the documentation, the FAQ, the Search function and FOR THE LOVE OF GLUB the Request Guidelines.
declanr
MVP
OLAP Product: Cognos TM1
Version: PA2.0 and most of the old ones
Excel Version: All of em

Re: Are the install packages in general updated?

Post by declanr »

To be fair we looked at downloading the package again to see if it had the new SSL certs but the upload date made me not bother... didn't consider that as you mention they could perhaps have updated it and not changed the "upload date."
Declan Rodger
Alan Kirk
Site Admin

Post by Alan Kirk »

declanr wrote:To be fair we looked at downloading the package again to see if it had the new SSL certs but the upload date made me not bother... didn't consider that as you mention they could perhaps have updated it and not changed the "upload date."
Although I must emphasise... that possibility is a hope, not an expectation. I've been in this game waaaay too long to have the latter.
-----------
Before posting, please check the documentation, the FAQ, the Search function and FOR THE LOVE OF GLUB the Request Guidelines.
tomok
MVP
OLAP Product: TM1, Palo
Version: Beginning of time thru 10.2
Excel Version: 2003-2007-2010-2013

Post by tomok »

There aren't too many absolutes in this world, save death and taxes, but I would bet almost everything I own that IBM has not updated these install packages to have the new certificates.
Tom O'Kelley - Manager Finance Systems
American Tower
http://www.onlinecourtreservations.com/
Edward Stuart
Community Contributor
Version: All
Excel Version: All

Post by Edward Stuart »

We needed to re-install Cognos Express 10.1 a few months ago and I can confirm that the certificates were available in the install package but not installed by default (applixca.pem by default but tm1_cav2.pem available in ssl folder)

The mooted Planning Analytics Local release in the coming weeks does make me wonder if a full refresh of all packages is being prepared to avoid confusion...
Alan Kirk
Site Admin

Post by Alan Kirk »

Edward Stuart wrote:to avoid confusion...
That expression could not help but make me think of things like:
  • The inclusion or non-inclusion (maybe) of the new certificates in some packages but not others;
  • The use of different names for exactly the same software components depending on which package they're delivered with (ICAS or Server, Xcelerator or Web, Xcelerator Client or Perspectives, etc, etc),
  • The use of similar names for completely different components (the aforementioned Xcelerator and Xcelerator Client);
  • The complete renaming of components in Planning AnawhatchamacallitThisWeek;
  • The uncertainty of whether the next version of on premises TM1 is 10.3 or 11 and whether there are in fact any differences between cloud 10.3 and and on prem whatever-it's-called, and
  • The system of licencing where the licence name has jack connection with the components that are licenced and where the specifications of the licence are slightly more cryptic than the average textbook in the library at Hogwarts.
I'm afraid that the SS Avoid Confusion, flagship of the IBM Star line, has not only sailed, it has made it half way across the ocean, headbutted an iceberg and is now rusting on the ocean floor waiting for Bob Ballard and James Cameron to find it and make a film about it respectively.
-----------
Alan Kirk
Site Admin

Post by Alan Kirk »

tomok wrote:There aren't too many absolutes in this world, save death and taxes, but I would bet almost everything I own that IBM has not updated these install packages to have the new certificates.
If you could get anyone to take the other side of that bet, you'd be a comfortably wealthy man by now.

Apparently it won't be until FP7, whose release date is Q1 of next year, which could be anything up to 4 months away. Or, put another way, "mañana".
-----------
camembert
Version: 10.1.1
Excel Version: 2010

Post by camembert »

Alan Kirk wrote:Apparently it won't be until FP7, whose release date is Q1 of next year, which could be anything up to 4 months away. Or, put another way, "mañana".
The target FP7 release date is most definitely March 2017, so don't hold your breath in Jan/Feb ;)