declanr
MVP
OLAP Product: Cognos TM1
Version: PA2.0 and most of the old ones
Excel Version: All of em

Cognos Express 10.1 Install Issues

Post by declanr »

All,

Just adding a note here for anyone that may need to install Cognos Express 10.1 in the future... I understand for most people the chances of doing that now are slim but for users who do currently have Express 10.1 it is very possible that at some point it will be moved to a different server or just need to be reinstalled following maintenance etc.

For most installs of TM1 you will have the issue that you need to update the certs again after redoing any installs and that is fine; with CX 10.1 however as we discovered today there is a big problem that the Express GUI which sits over the top will consider the install to have failed (this is the initial install before you install any of the 4 connectors).
Of course you can then stop the services and update the SSL certs and the TM1 Server CXMD will start.
BUT when restarted the Manager GUI will still say there was an error with the initial install and therefore it will fail if you try to install any of the connectors including "Xcelerator" (which is TM1 Web)... and none of the Clients will be able to be installed by the GUI; you can however find the installer in the directory and execute it manaually for Architect and Xcelerator (perspectives.)

So you can sort of get around it that way if you only need TM1 to be used with Perspectives... which is true for a lot of Express 10.1 users but if you want Web or anything nice its not so easy. The only method we found was to have the server date rolled back to pre SSL expiry and then do the install from scratch and then roll the date forwards again afterwards... but a lot of companies will not allow that to be done - for valid active directory reasons etc.
There is probably another way around it my manually amending files etc but we didn't have time to find it and it shouldn't be the case.

I may have missed it but I have seen no notifications that this CURRENTLY SUPPORTED software is now pretty damn near impossible to install without some ridiculous fudging. So just think twice before cracking on with an uninstall/reinstall.
Hopefully IBM will release a new installer for it but obviously with the imminent release of Planning Analytics I am uncertain as to whether that is likely...
Declan Rodger