startup chore behaiviour

vipin
OLAP Product: TM1
Version: 10.1.1
Excel Version: 2007

startup chore behaiviour

Post by vipin »

Hi All, I have scheduled a startup chore that must do "cellgetn" from a cell. I am able to populate the value of the cell when running TI manually but no luck when scheduled it via startup chore. even if we consider the case that it takes some time to load data into the cube. I have used sleep function before running the TI still no luck. I tried triggering it via other chore indirectly still failing to produce result.. Please help !!
qml
MVP
OLAP Product: TM1 / Planning Analytics
Version: 2.0.9 and all previous
Excel Version: 2007 - 2016

Re: startup chore behaiviour

Post by qml »

vipin wrote:Hi All, I have scheduled a startup chore that must do "cellgetn" from a cell. I am able to populate the value of the cell when running TI manually but no luck when scheduled it via startup chore.
I'm sorry, but it's not entirely clear to me what you are doing and what the results are (both expected and observed).
Are you saying that if you execute a CellGetN inside a startup chore then it returns a 0 value whereas an identical CellGetN ran outside of a startup chore returns a non-zero value?
How exactly are you checking that?

Startup chores do have certain limitations, but they are executed after the bodies of all cubes are loaded and I have never seen any issues with reading cube values within them.
Kamil Arendt
vipin

Post by vipin »

Hi,
Thanks a lot for your time , you got it correct. I am actually getting a zero value when using startup chore to trigger my process. How ever when running it manually it gives me the non zero values .i.e. data values from the cube. my observation says that it might take some time for cube to load values (data) once it is up so I used sleep function in my TI. But still its giving 0 values :(
Wim Gielis
MVP
OLAP Product: TM1, Jedox
Version: PAL 2.0.9.18
Excel Version: Microsoft 365

Post by Wim Gielis »

Hello,

Have you tried pinpointing the issue while removing everything from the TM1 model that is not related to the issue ?
I mean, try to delete cubes and dimensions from the model when these are not affected by the TI process.
Create a new TM1 model with only 1 cube, its dimensions and only the needed other objects so that you can focus on the issue.
Does it still occur in that very small model ?
Best regards,

Wim Gielis

IBM Champion 2024
Excel Most Valuable Professional, 2011-2014
https://www.wimgielis.com ==> 121 TM1 articles and a lot of custom code
Newest blog article: Deleting elements quickly
vipin

Post by vipin »

Hi All,
I tried executing it in all small and big models but no luck.. As a tiny sample I tried doing ASCIIOUTPUT of some data values from a cube using "cellgetn". My problem is, I cannot get the output if triggering via startup chore but when I run the process manually or try scheduling it to any time span. It populates the value. Can you try doing the same? , I am not sure 100% but believe that a "cellgetn" or "cellgets" is not possible if TI is scheduled via start up chore. Please rectify my belief If m not correct that will be a great help.
Wim Gielis
MVP
OLAP Product: TM1, Jedox
Version: PAL 2.0.9.18
Excel Version: Microsoft 365

Post by Wim Gielis »

Hello,

I can confirm that it works in one of my TM1 models.
I do a CellGetN converted to a string in an AsciiOutput.
The cell that I use, is highly consolidated and adds up rules-calculated cells and data input cells.

I have the impression that you do not use a startup chore but a startup TI process.
Your TI process that does the CellGetN must be a chore instead of a TI process.
Best regards,

Wim Gielis

IBM Champion 2024
Excel Most Valuable Professional, 2011-2014
https://www.wimgielis.com ==> 121 TM1 articles and a lot of custom code
Newest blog article: Deleting elements quickly
vipin

Post by vipin »

Hi WIm,
The TI process that does the CellGetN is a chore only .. :?
qml
MVP

Post by qml »

Would you be so kind and post your code here? Otherwise we can speculate all week long.
Kamil Arendt
vipin

Post by vipin »

yes I believe you are correct , the start up chore does populates the values form the cube. I tried a model cube and it worked BUT my requirement is to get values from a control cubes "}StatsForServer" and "}StatsByCube". Data points against elements "Memory in Garbage" ,"Latest" and "Memory in use" "Latest" is what I wish to populate. Can we try replicating to check if we are getting non zero values for these cube :roll:
dan.kelleher
Community Contributor
Version: 9.4
Excel Version: 11

Post by dan.kelleher »

My guess is that the stats cubes only start to get populated after the server has loaded and the startup chore has run, which makes sense to me.

I would try running a nested TI process from the chore via tm1runti.exe and have the nested process do the waiting.

TI process that's part of startup chore:
-----------------------------------------------

Code: Select all

ExecuteCommand( tm1runticommand, 0);
TI process called by above code
---------------------------------------

Code: Select all

SLEEP( 30000); # sleep for 30 secs
CellGetN(...);
qml
MVP

Post by qml »

vipin wrote:yes I believe you are correct , the start up chore does populates the values form the cube. I tried a model cube and it worked BUT my requirement is to get values from a control cubes "}StatsForServer" and "}StatsByCube". Data points against elements "Memory in Garbage" ,"Latest" and "Memory in use" "Latest" is what I wish to populate. Can we try replicating to check if we are getting non zero values for these cube :roll:
I have to tell you, I don't particularly enjoy it when people posting questions withhold crucial information like that. Had you posted these specifics or, better yet, your code in your first post, this thread would have long been over.

What you are seeing is the result of the }Stats cubes being empty because they haven't had the chance to be populated yet. They are updated every full minute starting from the moment the server is up, so when startup chores run these cubes will inevitably be empty.

You will need to build some sort of delay mechanism e.g. the main TI called by your startup chore can kick of a subprocess via ExecuteCommand( tm1runti.exe [...], 0 ) which in turn will have a sleep command. E.g. SLEEP( 90000 ) would cause the TI to pause for 90 seconds before executing the rest of the code. If you structure your solution like that then your startup chore will finish immediately and 90 seconds later your second TI will collect the stats, which by then should be available.

Edit: Dan beat me to it and his solution is obviously right, but the wait needs to be at least 60 seconds for the reasons mentioned above.
Kamil Arendt
vipin

Post by vipin »

Hi,

Apologies for the confusion, actually I am new to TM1 and also to this portal. I will make sure to place proper information on TM1 issues going forward. Thanks for idea , I will try using the same as suggested by you and will definitely come up with the result. thanks again !!
qml
MVP

Post by qml »

vipin wrote:Apologies for the confusion, actually I am new to TM1 and also to this portal. I will make sure to place proper information on TM1 issues going forward. Thanks for idea , I will try using the same as suggested by you and will definitely come up with the result. thanks again !!
Well, all the best in your adventure with TM1 and this wonderful forum! A lot of knowledgeable people here are happy to invest their time into helping others, but it makes it a lot easier if those asking questions show some effort by reading the Request For Assistance Guidelines and trying to apply them.
Kamil Arendt
vipin

Post by vipin »

Hi All,
Thank you very much !! I was able to make cellgetn via TM1RUNTI command. So the startup chore is now executing a bat file. The Bat file contains the command tm1runti.exe
-process "Process_name" -adminhost machine_name -server "server name" -user username -passwordfile tm1cipher.dat -passwordkeyfile tm1key.dat. This finally triggers another TI that does cellgetn (process name) mentioned in the bat file itself. We just need to give a sleep(60000) 1 minute pause inside the respective TI. Thanks again for your valuable advice :idea: :D
qml
MVP

Post by qml »

vipin wrote:Thanks again for your valuable advice :idea: :D
Thanks for posting your final solution. This might help somebody one day.
Kamil Arendt