Cell Security NONE issue

mnaithan
OLAP Product: TM1
Version: 10.2
Excel Version: 2007

Cell Security NONE issue

Post by mnaithan »

Hello

I have assigned cell security 'WRITE' to some of the elements and NONE to all other elements on Products Dim on Price_and_Cost Cube (Please see attached figure) for Test group, now when user 'Micky' from 'Test' ( user belong to only that group) login and navigate to the Price_and_Cost cube user can see all the elements of Products Dim (please refer to pic attached), from my understanding Cell Security 'NONE' should not allow user to see the elements at all ( like element security NONE does), though user can't see the data entered in cells, according to principle of most restrictive and cell security user should not see any element with NONE , am I missing something here,thanks
Attachments
Test Group user  can see All elements of Products  Dim
Test Group user can see All elements of Products Dim
Test_Group_User Access.PNG (33.14 KiB) Viewed 3837 times
Cell Security Rule ( WRITE to some elements), NONE to others
Cell Security Rule ( WRITE to some elements), NONE to others
CellSecurity_Rule.PNG (93.94 KiB) Viewed 3837 times
Wim Gielis
MVP
OLAP Product: TM1, Jedox
Version: PAL 2.0.9.18
Excel Version: Microsoft 365

Re: Cell Security NONE issue

Post by Wim Gielis »

Do not forget to implement element security if you want to restrict access to the elements themselves.
Best regards,

Wim Gielis

IBM Champion 2024
Excel Most Valuable Professional, 2011-2014
https://www.wimgielis.com ==> 121 TM1 articles and a lot of custom code
Newest blog article: Deleting elements quickly
qml
MVP
OLAP Product: TM1 / Planning Analytics
Version: 2.0.9 and all previous
Excel Version: 2007 - 2016

Post by qml »

mnaithan wrote:from my understanding Cell Security 'NONE' should not allow user to see the elements at all ( like element security NONE does), though user can't see the data entered in cells, according to principle of most restrictive and cell security user should not see any element with NONE , am I missing something here,thanks
Your understanding is not accurate. Cell Security will not affect which elements users can see. It only affects what cube data they can see. If you want to restrict access to dimension elements you will also need to use Element Security.
Kamil Arendt
mnaithan
OLAP Product: TM1
Version: 10.2
Excel Version: 2007

Post by mnaithan »

thanks for the replies, make sense to me,I would have controlled it via element security, thanks