Dimension Security Significance

mnaithan
OLAP Product: TM1
Version: 10.2
Excel Version: 2007

Dimension Security Significance

Post by mnaithan »

Hello, I have a doubt about dimension security , I am just wondering whats the Significance of Dimension Security as when I tested with 'READ' ,'WRITE' or 'NONE' (blank value in '}DimensionSecurity') user is able to see and WRITE on Cube (with WRITE security on Cube), I tried looking into Dev Guide but its not clear , whats the point of configuring Dimension security ,if anyone can share thought on this would be great, thanks
jwilkins
Version: 9.5.2+

Re: Dimension Security Significance

Post by jwilkins »

Setting a dimension to NONE prevents that group from opening any cube using that dimension in Cube Viewer. The other rights have to do with editing the dimension structure and attributes.

ADMIN
  • Add/Remove attributes
  • Create public subsets (from READ elements) but NOT delete them (requires the user to be in either the DataAdmin or ADMIN group)
LOCK
  • Usual semantics of LOCK
RESERVE
  • Usual semantics of RESERVE
  • Add/Remove/Modify elements of the dimension (even for elements with NONE access set)
WRITE
  • Edit attributes of elements with at least WRITE access
READ
  • View the dimension
  • Export the dimension
  • Create/delete private subsets (elements with NONE access do not appear in the subset editor however)
  • View element attributes through the attribute editor, but not actually make changes
It's interesting to note that someone with RESERVE rights can modify any element of the dimension, but even ADMIN rights don't allow a user to create subsets including NONE elements.

As far as securing data in a cube, there are really only three object rights taken into account: the rights on the cube, the rights on each element of the cell, and the cell security rights (if cell security exists and is defined for that cell).
Emily Wilkins - Software Engineer
Motio, Inc.
mnaithan
Version: 10.2

Re: Dimension Security Significance

Post by mnaithan »

thanks for explaination Josh, make sense to summaries READ/WRITE access doesn't affect at Cube level, it clears my doubts ,thanks