Community Contributor
OLAP Product: tm1
Version: 10 2 2 - 2.0.5
Excel Version: From 2007 to 2013

TM1RunTI on the Cloud

Post by mvaspal »

Hi
Anyone using tm1runti.exe on the Cloud?
I wonder if someone already tried it and worked?

Thanks!
lotsaram
MVP
OLAP Product: TableManager1
Version: PA 2.0.x
Excel Version: Office 365

Re: TM1RunTI on the Cloud

Post by lotsaram »

mvaspal wrote:Hi
Anyone using tm1runti.exe on the Cloud?
I wonder if someone already tried it and worked?

Thanks!
Cloud = some computer you don't own or operate, running somewhere in the world where you aren't.
There is nothing magical about the cloud. There is nothing magical about tm1runti, it is just a command line interface to run a TI process. The question isn't would it work but why wouldn't it?
Please place all requests for help in a public thread. I will not answer PMs requesting assistance.
mvaspal
Community Contributor

Post by mvaspal »

Hi,

"There is nothing magical about the cloud." correct. But here is many magical things about "the" Cloud :)
sorry for misunderstanding, here is my terminology :
cloud = a computer somewhere in the world
Cloud = IBM's amazing SaaS offering where you can easily get an email from Support that sorry tm1runti.exe is not provided in the Cloud or in the newer PA environment, we do not know why you have it in the install directory. And then you ask yourself how great is it that they do not know what they provided when they installed tm1 to their own server...

So my question is if anyone ever used tm1runti.exe in a "TM1 on the Cloud" or a "Planning Analytics" environment; I know there is very little experience about it, I was just hoping maybe someone already tried it

Thanks!
tomok
MVP
OLAP Product: TM1, Palo
Version: Beginning of time thru 10.2
Excel Version: 2003-2007-2010-2013

Post by tomok »

If you are a Cloud customer (and it appears you must be since you now tm1runti.exe is in your installation) why not try it yourself? I mean, how hard can it be to write a TI a "Hello World" type of process and kick it off with tm1runti?
Tom O'Kelley - Manager Finance Systems
American Tower
http://www.onlinecourtreservations.com/
David Usherwood
Site Admin

Post by David Usherwood »

Since it is installed (just checked on the shared partner cloud instance - C:\tm1\bin64) I can think of no reason why it would not work.
Why Support think it is not installed when it is - that's another debate for a less public forum 8-)
mvaspal
Community Contributor

Post by mvaspal »

Hi
The reason I asked was that we were told by the Support that it is not provided on the Cloud, and I was wondering if anyone has real experience with it.

We have managed to make it work, the fact I post here smth never means we do not try it (adminhost parameter had to be set to "data" , it cannot be localhost), I simply wanted to hear others' experiences.

My understanding was the same, why would it not work in this environment, but recently I am a bit sceptic about many things and I prefer to ask here on this forum...
jim wood
Site Admin
OLAP Product: TM1
Version: PA 2.0.7

Post by jim wood »

Apologies for the guys above. We get a few people coming on here to ask before trying to fix something for themselves. You can clearly see in your question that you're just asking for peoples experience and you are not to fix anything. Again apologies.

Oh and btw I haven't tried using it on the cloud as the client I'm at hosts everything locally. It's the reason I didn't answer originally.
Struggling through the quagmire of life to reach the other side of who knows where.
Shop at Amazon
Jimbo PC Builds on YouTube
kangkc
Community Contributor
OLAP Product: TM1, PA , TMVGate
Version: 2.x
Excel Version: 36x

Post by kangkc »

Using REST API to execute TI on the cloud instance from user location may be another feasible option. REST API http port is opened on the cloud.
mvaspal
Community Contributor

Post by mvaspal »

Thanks kangkc!

Our next challenge was encrypting the pwd because the tm1encrypt utility is not provided with the install; so we generated the KEY and the PW file in another environment, and simply copied the generated .dat files to the Cloud server.
It is quite strange that they provide tm1runti.exe (even if they do not know about it...) but do not provide the encrypting utility. Anyway, hope this helps others
moby91
MVP
Version: 9.5.1
Excel Version: 2003 2007

Post by moby91 »

mvaspal wrote:Our next challenge was encrypting the pwd because the tm1encrypt utility is not provided with the install; so we generated the KEY and the PW file in another environment, and simply copied the generated .dat files to the Cloud server.
It is quite strange that they provide tm1runti.exe (even if they do not know about it...) but do not provide the encrypting utility. Anyway, hope this helps others
Please correct me if I am wrong, but as a cloud customer you cannot access the install directories of Planning Analytics. What you can access is the database directory of your TM1 instance. Is that true ?
If it is, as the TM1RunTi tool and the TM1Crypt tool are located in these install directories, you cannot use them because you cannot access them. Was this your initial problem ?
And you resolved it by using (A Copy/Paste of files I assume ?) the TM1RunTi tool and the TM1Crypt tool from another environment, which is a TM1 on premise installation. Is that true ?

The TM1RunTi tool is a TM1 client like TM1 Architect. So, where are you executing the TM1RunTI tool ?
On IBM's cloud server ?
Or on a remote client like your laptop ?

How to you call the TM1RunTI executable ?
With full path ?
Or to avoid that, did you extend your Windows PATH environment variable ?
You can do that on your laptop. Can you do that on IBM's cloud server ?

Regarding user authentication, what method of user authentication does your TM1 instance perform ?
It seems to perform a basic authentication aka TM1 Standard Authentication. Is that true ?
if it is using basic authentication, does the TM1RunTI tool support cloud based user authentication by SAML ?
David Usherwood
Site Admin

Please correct me if I am wrong, but as a cloud customer you cannot access the install directories of Planning Analytics. What you can access is the database directory of your TM1 instance. Is that true ?
IBM have made available a cloud instance to partners and told us that this is what customers get. I believe them (of course I do) and they have been very helpful in getting things working (thanks to Neeta Solanki and Jason Kapp in the UK).
Application development is done with Architect/Perspectives (or Modeller if you are a masochist) using RDP so we do see the install directory and tm1runti is there, but not tm1crypt. I think the latter is just an oversight and since it's only needed to set up keys it's not a deal breaker. Note that you can copy content into your working directories via the RDP clipboard.
Alan Kirk
Site Admin
Version: PA2.0.9.18 Classic NO PAW!
Excel Version: 2013 and Office 365

Post by Alan Kirk »

Interestingly there is in fact an RFE asking for this very feature in capital-C as opposed to small-c Cloud:
TMRunTI would also be very beneficial for Cloud deployments; please include this capability with Tm1 cloud/Planning Analytics
So clearly there is some confusion about whether it is (supposed to be) available or not. The case was opened back at the end of March yet still has a status of Submitted; I don't know whether it's a case of IBM only periodically scanning the tickets or whether they just don't want to commit themselves one way or another on what the final position regarding availability is meant to be.

(The ticket is #86151, link here, with the usual disclaimer about the BS error message that you will get if not logged into DeveloperWorks)
"To them, equipment failure is terrifying. To me, it’s 'Tuesday.' "
-----------
Before posting, please check the documentation, the FAQ, the Search function and FOR THE LOVE OF GLUB the Request Guidelines.
mvaspal
Community Contributor

Post by mvaspal »

Hi
Just a quick update: TM1RunTI works with native security.
Native security is still available in Planning Analytics, but for BI (which is also included in PA with TM1 data sources only, but a really nice feature!) IBM ID is required instead.

So as long you do not use IBM IDs for authentication, you can also use TM1RunTI. There is an enhancement request (we were told it is a priority) to make thie feature available with IBM ID
lotsaram
MVP
OLAP Product: TableManager1
Version: PA 2.0.x

Post by lotsaram »

mvaspal wrote:Hi
Just a quick update: TM1RunTI works with native security.
Native security is still available in Planning Analytics, but for BI (which is also included in PA with TM1 data sources only, but a really nice feature!) IBM ID is required instead.

So as long you do not use IBM IDs for authentication, you can also use TM1RunTI. There is an enhancement request (we were told it is a priority) to make thie feature available with IBM ID
Can you provide any more information how you are making this work? My information is that the data directory is available (for migrations etc) but the bin directory is definitely not and because the cloud environment is locked down ExecuteCommand is not available (which you usually use to trigger RunTI). So how do you trigger it?
Please place all requests for help in a public thread. I will not answer PMs requesting assistance.
mvaspal
Community Contributor

Post by mvaspal »

after a lot of trial and error + some security config from the Cloud Ops team we made it work
code as follows:

Code: Select all

pServer = 'tm1';
pProcess = 'XYZ';
pUser = TM1User();
#these are the parameters of the TI that we call
pParameters = 'pYear="'|pYear|'" pPeriodFrom="'|vPeriodFrom|'" pPeriodTo="'|vPeriodTo|'" pVersion="'|pVersion|'" pCompany="'|pCompany|'" pUser="'|pUser|'"';

#SharedDimFiles is a custome dir that we created
vCommand = '"c:\tm1\bin64\tm1runti.exe" -process ' | pProcess |' -adminhost data -server ' | pServer | ' -user admin -passwordfile "..\..\tm1\SharedDimFiles\TM1RunTI_Scripts\'| pServer |'PW.dat" -passwordkeyfile "..\..\tm1\SharedDimFiles\TM1RunTI_Scripts\'| pServer |'KEY.dat" ' | pParameters;

#this is just to check the command
asciioutput('..\ErrorFiles\debug command '| sProcessName | '.txt', vCommand);

EXECUTECOMMAND(vCommand,0); 

the pwd file was created on another server because the encrypting utility is not provided
David Usherwood
Site Admin

My information is that the data directory is available (for migrations etc) but the bin directory is definitely not and because the cloud environment is locked down ExecuteCommand is not available (which you usually use to trigger RunTI).
See my response further up the thread - this isn't correct. Can't speak for ExecuteCommand though - will give it a go.
tianoklein
Version: 10.2.2
Excel Version: 2013

Post by tianoklein »

Anyone have a sample to run a ti process using REST API http port?

Many thanks!