Send encrypted email out of TI

holger_b
OLAP Product: TM1
Version: Planning Analytics 2.0
Excel Version: 2016

Send encrypted email out of TI

Post by holger_b »

We have set up a little TI application for the centralized administration of users and groups across several TM1 models. What we would love to add next is automated email sending, with notifications like "You have been added to group XYZ..." and so on. But of course our IT guidelines will especially not allow us to send passwords unless messages are encrypted.

We use Outlook 2013, so my first idea was to somehow use the Outlook encryption mechanism, but I have no idea how one could do that out of a TI process.

Can anyone think of an easy solution?

Thank you
Holger
Paul Segal
Community Contributor
Version: TM1 11 and up
Excel Version: Too many to count

Re: Send encrypted email out of TI

Post by Paul Segal »

One solution would be to write the email to text on the TM1 Server and have some VBA in an Outlook instance which looped round any text files in the directory and used the text to send the email. The advantage here is that you are just using VBA and Outlook's built-in encryption. The disadvantage is that you need an Outlook instance (or a way of firing up Outlook when there's something to send, something I've never been able to get working reliably under PowerShell etc) to be running all the time.

Alternatively, take the passwords out of the equation by using integrated login, and send out the emails via good old SMTP.
Paul
tomok
MVP
OLAP Product: TM1, Palo
Version: Beginning of time thru 10.2
Excel Version: 2003-2007-2010-2013

Post by tomok »

Why do you need someone's password in order to send them an email? I've done exactly what you're taking about calling SendMail with ExecuteProcess inside a TI without ever having to know a password.
Tom O'Kelley - Manager Finance Systems
American Tower
http://www.onlinecourtreservations.com/
holger_b

Post by holger_b »

Sorry I was unclear in this point - what I had in mind is, we set up a new TM1 user profile and want to communicate the user's password. Or the user asks for the password to be reset, and we want to send a message with the new password.

And yes, Paul, we will have integrated login actually, but not within the next couple of months.
holger_b

Post by holger_b »

I discussed the matter with our IT department. Looks like we will use a separate Outlook mailbox which encrypts all outgoing email by default, so it seems to be solved.