TM1 10.3 - IBM Planning Analytics

gtonkin
MVP
OLAP Product: TM1
Version: Latest and greatest
Excel Version: Office 365 64-bit

TM1 10.3 - IBM Planning Analytics

Post by gtonkin »

Here's a link to the new features guide.

New module:
IBM Planning Analytics Workspace is a new web-based interface that is designed for a cloud environment. It provides exciting new ways to analyze data, plan, and to access content that you create...
New features in Cognos TM1 Web version 10.3.
  • Advanced conditional formatting
  • Select dates using a date picker
  • Support for Microsoft ActiveX controls
  • New websheet grid improves performance
Other enhancements/improvements to CAFE and Insight mentioned in the document too. Could not find the Planning Analytics Workspace guide mentioned in the document but will post link if I do.
Alan Kirk
Site Admin
Version: PA2.0.9.18 Classic NO PAW!
Excel Version: 2013 and Office 365

Re: TM1 10.3 - IBM Planning Analytics

Post by Alan Kirk »

gtonkin wrote:Here's a link to the new features guide.
Other enhancements/improvements to CAFE and Insight mentioned in the document too. Could not find the Planning Analytics Workspace guide mentioned in the document but will post link if I do.
The page containing links to the 10.3 document downloads is here but the Planning Analytics Workspace one doesn't appear to be there yet as of the time of writing. These look like they're just the recycled ones from earlier versions, except for the NFG. It doesn't appear that 10.3 is available for download yet so I'm assuming that they're just getting into position for a release.
"To them, equipment failure is terrifying. To me, it’s 'Tuesday.' "
-----------
Before posting, please check the documentation, the FAQ, the Search function and FOR THE LOVE OF GLUB the Request Guidelines.
PlanningDev
Community Contributor
OLAP Product: Planning Analytics
Version: 2.0.5
Excel Version: 2016

Post by PlanningDev »

If im not mistaken I think the new release will be to the IBM Cloud Version of TM1 first with On Premise coming middle of next year.
George Regateiro
MVP
Version: 10.1.1
Excel Version: 2007 SP3

Post by George Regateiro »

PlanningDev wrote:If im not mistaken I think the new release will be to the IBM Cloud Version of TM1 first with On Premise coming middle of next year.

Unfortunately this was my understanding also
lotsaram
MVP
OLAP Product: TableManager1
Version: PA 2.0.x
Excel Version: Office 365

Post by lotsaram »

Alan might have to update the TM1 time lookup and calculation compendium if this means what I think it means
TM1 server parameters in IBM Cognos TM1 10.3 wrote:The following parameter has also been added:
UseExcelSerialDate
Please place all requests for help in a public thread. I will not answer PMs requesting assistance.
gtonkin
MVP
Version: Latest and greatest
Excel Version: Office 365 64-bit

Post by gtonkin »

Just got this link to Changes to TM1 server parameters in IBM Cognos TM1 10.3 - some additions, some removed, some made dynamic and some withe new default values e.g. MTQ will be set to ALL, previously was disabled/off.
David Usherwood
Site Admin

Post by David Usherwood »

Quite concerned about the non-support of the PI parameter - I can recall several occasions in the past when disabling PI has cured major performance problems. No doubt IBM think it's never going to happen again...........
Duncan P
MVP
Version: 9.5.2 10.1 10.2
Excel Version: 2003 2007

Post by Duncan P »

The MTQ=All parameter is interesting. Do we know if that means physical cores or hyper-virtual cores? The documentation here did not specify.
RJ!
Community Contributor
Version: 10.2.2
Excel Version: 2010

Post by RJ! »

Still no drill to transactions in CAFE...
George Regateiro
MVP
Excel Version: 2007 SP3

Post by George Regateiro »

RJ! wrote:Still no drill to transactions in CAFE...
Yikes I did not realize that one was not there yet. We have started building some cafe sheets but I had not gotten to our sheets with drills on them. Oh well.
camembert

Post by camembert »

George Regateiro wrote:
PlanningDev wrote:If im not mistaken I think the new release will be to the IBM Cloud Version of TM1 first with On Premise coming middle of next year.

Unfortunately this was my understanding also
Yep the message I brought back from Insight is that it's cloud first, and that a potential release date for the full on premise version could be just prior to the Orlando Vision conference.
There was also a suggestion that an on premise fix pack may be made available Q1 to allow existing users to get some of the new features without having to wait for the full release later in the year.
That info was from someone high up in the food chain so even though there was no real commitment on dates it does give some hope ;)
jduplessis

Post by jduplessis »

At Vision there was talk of "smart caching". Preventing a single change in a cube from blowing out the cache for all the dependent cubes on unrelated calculations. I was kinda hoping we would see that in this release since we have a number of dynamic, driver based models, and its a bit silly having to recalculated the entire thing when you change one driver.
camembert

Post by camembert »

jduplessis wrote:At Vision there was talk of "smart caching". Preventing a single change in a cube from blowing out the cache for all the dependent cubes on unrelated calculations. I was kinda hoping we would see that in this release since we have a number of dynamic, driver based models, and its a bit silly having to recalculated the entire thing when you change one driver.
Sorry to burst your bubble but I just looked again at the presentation from Insight and the message on smart caching was that it was a really difficult problem to solve, work is still in progress, but it apparently won't be in the next version.
jduplessis

Post by jduplessis »

camembert wrote:
jduplessis wrote:At Vision there was talk of "smart caching". Preventing a single change in a cube from blowing out the cache for all the dependent cubes on unrelated calculations. I was kinda hoping we would see that in this release since we have a number of dynamic, driver based models, and its a bit silly having to recalculated the entire thing when you change one driver.
Sorry to burst your bubble but I just looked again at the presentation from Insight and the message on smart caching was that it was a really difficult problem to solve, work is still in progress, but it apparently won't be in the next version.
At a User conference in Montreal, IBM reps were saying they were working on it for the next release as well. They also suggested initial testing was showing huge performance improvement, which would make sense when you consider what TM1 is currently doing.
camembert

Post by camembert »

Well if your IBM reps are as clued up as my IBM reps on what exactly is happening with the product, then I would rather believe what the TM1 product managers say directly :lol:
Seriously though, the message I saw was pretty clear, almost an apology that it wouldn't make the first version of Planning Analytics. You never know, maybe they might manage a fix pack (if that is technically possible) in time for the on premise release...
RJ!
Community Contributor

Post by RJ! »

camembert wrote: Sorry to burst your bubble but I just looked again at the presentation from Insight and the message on smart caching was that it was a really difficult problem to solve, work is still in progress, but it apparently won't be in the next version.
I wouldn't be surprised if it's there as a parameter to switch it on but not published until someone "stumbles" on it...
nanobaka
OLAP Product: PA Local
Version: 2.0.9.14
Excel Version: 2016

Post by nanobaka »

I'm not sure if I should consider it a new feature. Remember temporary view/subset features that were added in 10.2.2 FP4, but will not work in TI as a data source? I actually submitted a service request to IBM asking about it. I was told they are planning to have them work in 10.3. I was hoping for FP5 but oh well.

Looking through the PDF there are some interesting new features. (eg. improving the scrolling speed of websheets will be really helpful.) Considering what happened to 10.2.X, I'm not sure if I want to try it at all (even on a test server) until they have released a few fix packs... :|
David Usherwood
Site Admin

Post by David Usherwood »

Unless you are one of the very few Cloud customers, you won't be able to try out the new features. I can understand why IBM went that route, but it will mean that the user pool for 10.3 will be quite small and problems may not be discovered quickly.
moby91
MVP
Version: 9.5.1
Excel Version: 2003 2007

Post by moby91 »

nanobaka wrote:Remember temporary view/subset features that were added in 10.2.2 FP4, but will not work in TI as a data source? I actually submitted a service request to IBM asking about it. I was told they are planning to have them work in 10.3. I was hoping for FP5 but oh well.
I assume you refer to the defect logged as APAR PI50708:

https://www-304.ibm.com/support/entdocv ... wg1PI50708
PI50708: NEW TEMPORARY SUBSETS AND VIEWS CANNOT BE USED AS A DATA SOURCE FOR A TI PROCESS IN FP4

Error description
Error: Prolog Procedure line (0): The data source "CubeName" could not be opened.

We were told that the Interim Fix 2 (IF2) for TM1 10.2.2 FP4 addressed this issue.
Edward Stuart
Community Contributor
Version: All
Excel Version: All

Post by Edward Stuart »

Just tested the Temporary view/ subset functionality and it is working in 10.3, however this is still in Beta so refer to your deity of choice for whether this is actually in the released version