TM1 Contributor - Access on dimension elements based on entry node (Access Table/elist)

mama
OLAP Product: TM1, Jedox, Powerplay, SSAS
Version: TM1 10.2.2
Excel Version: 2013

TM1 Contributor - Access on dimension elements based on entry node (Access Table/elist)

Post by mama »

Hi all,

I guess this has been asked many times before but I could just not find it in the forum.

I am using Contributor (with Cognos Express 10.2.2). Depending on the entry node (i.e. "elist") I want to see different content in the dimensions.

Let's take this example:
- Entry nodes:
- All Countries
- Switzerland
- Germany
- UK
- France
- User John has access to Switzerland and UK
- Depending on the country only certain elements in the product dimension should be shown, i.e. product A and B for Switzerland, product C and D for UK
- The security has been correctly defined in Architect
- Now when John enters in Contributor on node Switzerland he sees all products for Switzerland AND UK - that's not good, he should only see product A and B because he entered the application on node Switzerland.

What is best practice to set up such a requirement? I hate to say that but it has been easy in Cognos Planning (access tables, elist enabled).

This example is very simplified - imagine 1000 products for Switzerland and 1000 other products for UK. And you definitely don't want to see the UK products when you enter on Switzerland...

It seems that TM1/Contributor only checks the security of the user who enters the application, not on which node he enters. Right?

I cannot imagine there is no solution for that. I am stuck with exactly this requirement since years. Please help...

Thanks, Markus
ykud
MVP

Re: TM1 Contributor - Access on dimension elements based on entry node (Access Table/elist)

Post by ykud »

Hi Markus,

I wrote a bit about this a while back, but things haven't improved since:
http://ykud.com/blog/cognos/tm1-cognos/ ... ata-in-tm1

Cheers,
Y
declanr
MVP
OLAP Product: Cognos TM1
Version: PA2.0 and most of the old ones
Excel Version: All of em

Re: TM1 Contributor - Access on dimension elements based on entry node (Access Table/elist)

Post by declanr »

As you have found the non applications security that you apply can be overwritten by whatever security rules applications decides to use.

The basic concept of what you are trying to do however can be handled via an MDX subset that is dependent on the title element of the cubeview - or if you decide to use websheets instead you will have a lot of options available to you including but not limited to the same MDX.
Declan Rodger